Deer numbers

T

tinenut

I just sent this e-mail to my local Biologist, might help, worth a try?

I just came across some data in the internet that shows the Pahvant Deer herd estimate at 9,000. I have no idea if that is the number you use for the Pahvant Deer herd. The number seems high to me, but of course I am no Biologist. Here is some back ground, I spend a lot of time on the mountain Hoses, ATV, jeeping, hiking. Plus spend a lot of time with my optics glassing. I know you might here that a lot, but I do get out often. Just last night my wife and I went out above town then over around half way hill, we never seen a single deer. I am very concerned for our Deer herd and would be glad to help any way I can. I just can not imagine we have 9,0000 deer, I very seldom see Deer any more. I can go for days on my Horse late summer early fall and very rarely see a track, let alone a Deer. I have been out on the winter grounds and see a lot of areas that use to hold Deer, and now there is none. We talked the other day when you checked in my Lion, and you mentioned the Elk herd is at 1,500. Could we really have 6 times more Deer than Elk? I see Elk all the time, any place I go I can glass up an Elk, but no Deer. Maybe I am blind, I hope so I hope there are way more Deer than I am seeing.

Just a concerned Deer lover, Please let me know if you need help with any thing.

Thanks for your time

Good letter.
It doesn't hurt to touch base with the F&G every once in a while so they know what we think. I think they're getting the message that the deer herds are way down and we're all willing to roll up our sleeves and help.

I'm willing to sacrifice with lower permits, higher permit fees, smaller units, donate time and money. All in an effort to ensure we actually have a deer herd to hunt.

I don't mind some hunting restrictions but the emphasis should be on growing does and protecting the hunter.

We all need to be careful for what we wish. If we want the season closed, because the hunter isn't needed as a management tool, we're playing into the hands of the antis. Don't be fooled into believing this isn't happening. Why do you think the antis want more wolves?

My 2 cents is, buck kill restriction is ok but keep the hunter in the field and do every thing possible to grow the doe popluation. This is the future of our herds!

Zeke

Zeke, I agree 100 percent with what you just said, that pretty much covers it.

Nice letter, I can not believe more people are not concerned about the same thing. A pretty sad deal.

Great cat!!! Thanks for the pics!!!

Hay pahvantbull, I got a nice Tom on the south end, around Christmas time, I will put up a pic..

Muley 73, What's up with Lumpy, I look forward every day to read his posts.

4322s1030008.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom