Deer Rifle 13B DIY Help

H

highhunt

Guys

I drew this tag and I plan on doing a DIY hunt. I'm not looking for any secrets but looking for someone that knows the unit well that I can talk with.

This tag is a once-in-a-lifetime type tag and as such I don't think someone having been in the unit a lot or having hunted it in the past is going to be hurt by giving me their thoughts. I have not been in the unit before as I live south of the ditch. And other than this hunt I don't see how I would again.

Thanks very much.

I hear there are 300 trail cameras set up on the Strip already.Can you imagine the amount traffic out there? I suspect its mostly guides and scouts in it for the money. How does a regular d.i.y. hunter deal with all that?

If a guide is not an option, look into buying a scouting package, Arizona Strip Bucks offers one and Matt will put you on a specific buck, not just a general area. I think his scouting package is around $1500, less or the same as it would cost to do two scouting trips and chances are after only two trips you will not have a good buck found. I have hunted on the strip with his outfit the past two years and you will not be disappointed, the only catch is he doesn't offer very many of these packages, so contact him ASAP if that is something you would be interested in. Good luck, that's an awesome tag!

These posts crack me up every year. If your gonna put in for the strip then go f-ing scout. Good hell people. You have no idea how big that country is with few deer. The guys that don't kill are the guys that don't put in the time to learn the unit. If you don't plan on giving the hunt 100% than don't apply for it cuz there are plenty of guys in line that will. I mean everyone says " I'm not looking for anyones honey holes" but you are because you can find enough from GnF unit overview and from officer for that area to get you started in the right direction.

Ok. I'm done.

Dear, Dogman
What cracks you up? Highhunt wanting to talk to someone who knows the unit?
No reason for someone to live in the unit for the rest of there life just cuz they drew a deer tag. LOL!
The Gnf overview and officer good advice.
Just because you have to work a 1000% harder to get the same results doesn't give you the right to use the F word in your post!

Ok. your done like a baked potatoe.

I have to work 1000% harder for the same info???? Please explain
Are you saying that asking for spots to go on the Internet is as good as scouting?
Do you not agree that this " hunt of a lifetime" deserves 1000%.

i don't think people realize how big and remote that place is.300 trail cams and all the traffic? hell there could be 3000 and still less traffic than unit 6a. i hunted it once in 2010 and hired clay bundy and had a pretty good experience. i don't really care to hunt guided but figured i better for this one. i think if i had to do it again i would use that scout package from azstripbucks but that's just me

I generally won't give away any hunting spots to others that I don't mind losing for myself. With that said I do enjoy talking with other hunters that will be scouting/hunting the same units I've hunted. Over the years I've spent quite a bit of time and money scouting the strip and IMO it was worth it. Having been all over the place up there and still there's tons of country I have yet to see. The strip is so big with so many places for deer to hide, that some deer may never be hunted. There's some great people on here that will give you some good ideas of where to start hunting, but if you don't scout or hire a guide it will be of little use. If you want to talk about the unit or areas send me an email.

My wife also drew one of the 13B tags. As much as we would love to hire a guide for the hunt it will not be possible for us. I plan on doing some scouting and maybe purchasing a scouting package. Either way, we are looking forward to the challenge!

I would love to chat with anyone willing to teach me a thing or two, shoot me a pm.

...and congrats to all of you with tags!

Chase Christopher

Highhunt. I didn't realize you were a non resident. You said you lived south of the ditch and that term is normally used in reference to all of az south of grand canyon. Being out of state clearly makes it harder to scout. But its doable when my daughter drew a junior ibex hint in NM i made a few scouting trips there and got very confortable with the area to make sure she cashed in on such a rare tag If you can swing a trip or two there before your hunt I highly recommend it. If azmightymulies offers advice I'd take it. He knows as much about the deer on the strip as anyone. You have to take into account that info from someone who hunted there two or three years ago may not be good due to factors such as rain, food sources, or fires. You must of had waited many years to draw the tag so you should make sure you do what you gotta do to up your odds at a good buck. I'm sure you will find guys on the net willing to give you good info. Good luck on your hunt.

I hunted the strip in 2010 with no help and killed a 195" buck. Pick a area in the center of the unit, glass and hunt it hard!! If you keep moving around you'll never kill anything!

Fellow Hunters allow me to explain: My posting asking for help was not well written. Much of what I write isn't very well articulated.

What I was really looking for was prior hunters that I could talk with (phone) and get ideas about the terrain, the weather, what type of vehicle was needed, camping. Just general information that would allow me to plan my hunt better.

I was not looking for someone to give me locations of the best bucks seen in the past two weeks with estimated B&C score :) Just wanted to talk with a few folks that had hunted the unit. Thanks.

Hey highhunt congrats again on the draw. I do have to call B.S. on this latest post of yours. You have been applying for Az. for at least 16 years if you are a non. res. If you don't know what the Strip is like by now shame on you. What you need to know is where the bucks are going to be. Thats the info. I would be asking.

That would be 14 years of applying to get 16 points, 1 loyalty, 1 hunter ed point. So this year would be year 15 going in, I think!! Anyways, congrats to the non res who have been dedicated enough to ride the Arizona roller coaster this long. Good luck as we will never know the area as well as a resident. I definitely will need all the help I can get also. I'll be there scouting in two weeks and my first visit to the strip!

Koyote

Koyote you are correct it would be 15 years, thank's for the correction.The last time I drew was 13a in 1988.Been applying ever since. I'v been on the strip off and on for the past month in prep. for when my time comes again. The temps got well into the 100's two weeks ago, but last week just the upper 90's. At dawn it cools to the upper 70's. There have been a few rain storms but the roads are dusty from all the vehicles. You will see deer early and late but the mid-days are long and hot. I suggest bringing some additional entertainment. Also bring plenty of fuel and good tires. As where to look for deer the AZG&F website lists all the best areas. Find the water tanks with the most cameras on them and that's where the best bucks have been found.(sad but true)You'll see plenty of other scouts, most on the ground and some in the air. Well other than exact locations thats all the Info I can give. Hope it helps you guys some. Again, congrats add good luck

With all of the hot weather this year...How is the horn growth for all of you 13a/b mule deer perverts who have been there this year?

>Koyote you are correct it would
>be 15 years, thank's for
>the correction.The last time I
>drew was 13a in 1988.Been
>applying ever since. I'v been
>on the strip off and
>on for the past month
>in prep. for when my
>time comes again. The temps
>got well into the 100's
>two weeks ago, but last
>week just the upper 90's.
>At dawn it cools to
>the upper 70's. There have
>been a few rain storms
>but the roads are dusty
>from all the vehicles. You
>will see deer early and
>late but the mid-days are
>long and hot. I suggest
>bringing some additional entertainment. Also
>bring plenty of fuel and
>good tires. As where to
>look for deer the AZG&F
>website lists all the best
>areas. Find the water tanks
>with the most cameras on
>them and that's where the
>best bucks have been found.(sad
>but true)You'll see plenty of
>other scouts, most on the
>ground and some in the
>air. Well other than exact
>locations thats all the Info
>I can give. Hope it
>helps you guys some.
> Again, congrats add good
>luck

thanks

highhunt - I know exactly where you are coming from. I've never been on the Strip and don't apply for the tag, but I do hunt every year out of state and most times in areas I have only seen on Google Earth. I always like to chat with other hunters that have had boots on the ground and are willing to give up some good camp site information, etc. Many times I don't have the opportunity for a pre-season scouting trip and, even when I do, I don't want to waste one of my precious scouting days looking for a place to set camp or even worse, wasting another day moving camp. I have received good information from guys on this site over the past 13 years and passed on what I know when I can. I have also been a subscriber to Huntin' Fool and got some great information from other subscribers as well. If you're not a subscriber, you may want to consider it. For $100 you can talk to several guys that are willing to share information because most of them are out of state hunters as well and can relate to your problems.

I hope you enjoy your hunt, are able to make the most of it and, with a little luck, put your tag on the buck of your dreams.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom