Deer Super Tag

jhawksd

Just when I thought I might be getting skunked on all my western draw apps Idaho Fish & Game calls on Friday and says I was successful in drawing one of the deer super tags.
Well a few days later I'm still in disbelief. I've hunted several western states but never Idaho. My early guess is I'll hunt any of 40, 44,45,54 or the 55 early season. Any of these I should eliminate or others I should consider adding? I will be doing this DIY and coming from South Dakota. I also have two little boys (3 yr old and a 9 month old) and a wife who has her hands full when I'm gone for too long, so there are some time constraints. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-14 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]All of those units would be at the top of my list. Plus unit 67. If I had the time I would try and hunt all of them. If I didn't have the time to hunt all of them i'm not sure which one I would concentrate.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

I drew the tag in 2013. PM me for ideas and input.

"The fine line between bravery and stupidity is
endlessly debated--the difference really doesn't
matter." WW II Air force pilot

Congrats! You should have some great hunting opportunities.

I guess that means I didn't draw a Super Hunt since I got no such call!

focus on 2-3 units and learn them, don't chase yourself all over the state. Just because they are the best units doesn't mean it going to be easy to kill a monster.
I hunted 55 early 5-6 years ago if you want any help there. My uncle also hunted the 54 late last year. I was there for some of it.
I would choose a different unit then 54 in Novemeber

Thanks, I think I'll end up picking one unit to hunt and put all my time into it unless I did the early 55 season and a different later season. You liked the early 55 better than the late 54?

My son had a supertag last year and the early 55 hunt is definitely a better choice. Anytime you can hunt bucks that early gives you a way better advantage. I would do the late 54 as a last resort hunt but you can find a monster in any unit here in Idaho. If your going to want to hunt that late stick to 67. I hope you get what your after. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-14 AT 07:29AM (MST)[p]55 early aug/sept
40/44/45 during October, pick one and learn it
November I would try 66/67/69 area

what size buck you after, a big 4pt, a wide buck, a heavy buck, a 180 or nothing, or you saying a 200 or nothing?
what are you looking for.

I agree with stick to one or two units, I hunted 44, 45 last year and saw good bucks in both units. Remember if we have hot weather like last year, the late hunts will be hard to hunt. If you depend on the migration it could be a loosing situation. Even though the deer are moving out of the high country earlier than they use to, they will stall out and not group up as much. It's really hard to find a good buck with hot weather and I think we are in a hot cycle for this next season. If you can come out early and scout the country you plan to hunt and ask permission to hunt on private land it would really help. There will be some local deer , but seeing the country and getting permission is really important. Good luck and above all have a fun hunt, it is not about getting a huge buck(that is nice) it is about the hunt, the process of getting there that will give the hunt true joy. Don't let the tag drive you crazy, and it can and will at times. Enjoy.

"The fine line between bravery and stupidity is
endlessly debated--the difference really doesn't
matter." WW II Air force pilot

I will be looking for something 180 or better, I don't have a problem eating a tag, done it probably too often. I just enjoy spending time hunting mature animals and if it doesn't work out in the end I am ok with that.

Time constraints and a Super tag are not a good combination, especially if you want a Whopper Buck.
I say give the hunt full priority. Them little kids wont hold it against you. If your going to be a Big Buck Hunter you cant let your woman stop you.
You have the chance of a lifetime man.
Just do it.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-14 AT 10:48PM (MST)[p]buckhorn, On one level you are totally right. But were it really matters, family is 1st in my book. I also feel that 180 or more is doable, with a shorter time frame.I had unit 55 highly recommended by the bios at idfg. I wanted a hard horned buck, and was willing to accept the risk of getting a smaller buck. I hunted a total of 16 days. Could of shot a 185 2nd day at 75 yds. I think the key for a out of state super tag on a diy hunt is research, scouting the area (you can hunt and scout but again there comes the time factor) Above all talking to people who know the country. It is better to be lucky than good. A lot of big bucks are killed by dumb luck. Even by good hunters.

"GPS means every man can have a $500 reason not to
ask for directions." Red Green

Buckhorn,
I love to hunt and am blessed to be given this opportunity but my family is and always will be first. Now that doesn't mean I can't have a great hunt and shoot a wonderful buck, it's means I will have to gather as much info as possible before the hunt and hunt as hard as possible during the hunt, which I intend to do. My wife isn't stopping from doing anything, I'm sure she will be cheering for me to shoot a big buck, but I also know she is going to have her hands full while I'm gone. I'm still going to have plenty of time to hunt, it's a matter of making the most of it and capitalizing on opportunities.

Of course you guys are right that family is number one.
However they will always be there for you.
An Idaho Super Tag is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity.
I'm not talking about a 185 Buck. The potential is there for something much better.
I wish you the best of luck and have a satisfying experience.

Thanks buckhorn, what do you think of my plans for hunting the early rifle season in 55 then coming back in November if need be to hunt one of units 40, 44 or 45?

I think thats a great plan but I think in November 40 is the only one open.
Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks for picking up on that guys, you are correct there is no season in 44 or 45 in November. I'm glad I didn't go on thinking that for too long.

I have had the opportunity to have the idaho super tag a couple of times. One thing I have learned is time in is what you get out of the thing. Spend as much time in the field as possible. Talking to people and asking for areas is great but if you can't be out there it is difficult. Pray for snow in 45. Weather is a huge factor here in Idaho. Good luck with the tag and I hope you get to spend the time with your kids.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom