Deer Unit 7-10 Points-Non Res

mike111

I'll have 7 non-res points after this year and was wondering what units are worth 7-10 pts? I've been looking over units and making choices based on harvest, whether the units glassable and proximity to Arizona. As of now I'm considering unit 21 second, 10 second, 30 third, 67 third, 66 second/third, 53 third. I've heard good and bad on all of the units above, but I don't think it's worth waiting another 6-8 years for a fourth season tag? If you really know Colorado deer especially on the western half of the State please email/pm and lets talk. I would also be willing to trade good information on Arizona elk/deer for knowledge about Colorado deer. Thanks

I'm in the same boat and my research has led me to many of the same units as yours has. I think there are some good opportunities within those units for sure.

I don't know much about Colorado deer, but I'm sure someone on here can help you out. Good luck on whatever unit you decide on.

I am in the same situation with 10 PP and have been looking at some of these same units. After looking at Hunters Trailhead draw odds it's going to take a while to draw some of these if you have seven points now.

HUNT -----POINTS REQ 2013 ----- POINT CREEP PER YR

21 second ----- 9 ----- 0.25

10 second ----- 15 ----- 0.5

30 third ----- 11 ----- 0.5

67 third ----- 12 ----- 1.0

53 third ----- 9 ----- 0.5

66 second ----- 9 ----- 0.25

66 third ----- 14 ----- 1.50

Mike,

Send me a PM with your questions. I can help you out figuring out what type of terrain and hunt you are looking for. Point creep is real but you have some opportunities with your points in the next few years.

Rich

One thing a lot of guys don't realize is that muley numbers throughout most of Colo are down compared to what they were 5 to 10 years ago due to several bad winters and droughty summers. Many Western Colo units are only offering a fraction of the tags they offered prior to these winters. Keep your fingers crossed that numbers rebound...along with tag allocations. Obviously point creep is not going to improve until deer numbers increase....so hold on to your hats and hope for decent winters and decent moisture during the spring/summers.

Hunted 21 second season in 2010 and was disappointed, mainly because it was not my type of unit. There are a lot of roads and hunters hunting elk. I'm not saying there's not deer there, saw quite a few, ended up taking a 150 ish deer only saw one bigger the whole time I was there. I'm not saying there's no big ones there but you are not gonna get to learn a unit hunting it every 10 years. I hunted another unit this year that took 2 points and killed a 170" buck and saw two bigger, but it was less crowded and big glossing country( more my style).i guess what I'm getting at is don't think cause a unit takes a bunch of points that it is automatically easy to kill a big buck. Whatever unit you choose to go hunt and have fun and don't set your goal too high, it's always difficult hunting new ground which is why after I burned my points I started looking for a unit that I could hunt every few years and learn it.

Solid advise there buckmster. Don't buy into the point hype.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-13 AT 00:24AM (MST)[p]Great info I really appreciate it! After seeing the above post about point creep, it really makes me wonder how long I should wait chasing one of those units. Lets hope deer herds can rebound to help reduce the amount of points needed to draw. As for a favorable unit I think 21 would be ideal, minus all the roads, elk hunters, and it being a second season hunt. The very best hunts seem to take 15+ pts and I don't know if they're a whole lot better than the 6-10 pt units. Whether I draw with 8 points, or 12 my main goal will be to find the best unit for that year with the most potential of a big buck showing up. After the hunt it will be a decision on whether the points were worth building.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom