Deer Unit Closure

Hiker of the Woods

Does anyone know of a state F&W agency closing a deer unit to hunting for the population to rebound and which year(s) it took place? Do you have a link to the data of the population, buck:doe ratios, fawn:doe ratios, before and/or after the unit opened back up again? If not links could you post the state and unit so I can contact the local F&W office? Thanks for all your help.

Yes the Vernon unit and paunsagaunt unit in Utah were both closed to hunting for 4 or 5 yrs. then they were opened as limited entry units and still are today. Both units have good populations of deer. Vernon was closed to hunting in 1996 I believe and opened again in 2001 it was closed for 5 years. My dad and mom both drew tags the first year it was open and killed good bucks. I have never had so much fun scouting all summer on that unit. Deer were everywhere and lots of bucks. Our first trip out there was July 3rd and in Harker Canyon we counted 75 bucks in n that draw. I couldn’t believe it. Still a pretty good unit even today and can be a really fun hunt.

BookCliffs: Opened up to a FREE-FOR-ALL & Shot Clear Out and then Closed!

BumbleBee-Closed!

Henry Mountains-Closed!

Elk Ridge-CLOSED!

I Don't have the exact Dates/Years?

SAD!

That the Units were So Mis-Managed they had to be Closed!

PISS POOR Management at it's Best!

Bookcliffs and henrys opened back up in 1999, and we're closed for 3 years. So 96-98 they were closed down.

The Jicarilla Apache reservation in NM closed down i think for 5 years and implemented effective predator control measures which has resulted in some of the best mule deer hunting on the planet . The tribes bank account hasn't suffered as a result.

Bookcliffs and henrys opened back up in 1999, and we're closed for 3 years. So 96-98 they were closed down.

100% correct^^^^^^^^

I spent those year's in the Bookcliffs during the winter months hunting lions.
It was fun watching the deer rebound!

Was there for the 1999 deer opener.
It was unbelievable!
Easily the best year ever there for BOTH quality and overall deer numbers.

To be honest, I wish other western states would close units on a rotating basis for elk, deer, and pronghorn. AZ could really use it. However, AZ did cut tags in most units for elk this year,and even closed some units for pronghorn. One in particular that I have been applying for over the last 7 years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom