Defenders of Wildlife meeting ABQ

smarba

All:

Some time ago somebody on another forum posted link to Defenders of Wildlife action item for petition email to ban aerial wolf hunting or some such. Useful thing is typically you can edit the subject and content to state real facts, which typically is 180-degrees from what DoW is trying to petition :)

I'm now on their email "alert" list LOL and just got this today.

Anybody up for some REAL entertainment? Not sure if I'll make it, but I'm going to RSVP and make them at least spend some $ on pizza.

Feel free to show up, y'all!!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Dear New Mexico Wildlife Supporter,

Are bedrock wildlife protections like the Endangered Species Act important to you?

Well, they aren't to this out-of-control Congress. Lawmakers continue to launch attacks on some of the most defining environmental protections of our time.

But with your help, we can stop them. Will you join me next Thursday in Albuquerque?

What: Meet-Up for Wildlife in Albuquerque
When: Thursday, March 1st 6:30 p.m. ? 8:00 p.m.
Where: The Flying Star Cafe
723 Silver Avenue SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102

I am happy to announce that joining me at the first Albuquerque meet-up of 2012 is Defenders? Outreach Director, Marcia Lesky. Marcia will be bringing the latest updates from Washington, and presenting on what could be next from this Congress.

Will you join me next Thursday in Albuquerque and learn what you can do to protect our wildlife?

We have a lot to discuss, and need all the help we can get to stand up for our Mexican gray wolves, jaguars, and other animals across the region. Please RSVP now and let us know that you're coming.

At the meeting, Defenders will be providing pizza and soda, so come hungry.

I'd RSVP as requested, show up and eat the heck out of their pizza, and then tell them to drop dead as I finished my last piece and walked out, LOL!

It would be nice if someone would actually go and learn what their agenda will be in 2012. A little intel could go a long way.

Good point Sagebrush:

I agree that nothing can come from showing up and arguing. But as you point out, getting some intel might be valuable.

It's still on my list to try and make it.

And yes, Don, I'll ask for the "meat lover's pizza...with extra wolf" LOL.

Carl

To the best of my knowledge I was the only hunter that attended. I took copious notes. These guys are very well organized and are a squeaky wheel currently much louder than hunters.

I need to type up and provide to you all so that we can combat.

We need to take them very seriously.

Carl

All: hope cut & paste is readable.
Carl

-----------------------------
Defenders of Wildlife Meeting Summary
? ~24-people in attendance; age mainly 50s+ but some appeared ~30s

? Highlighted continually that Letters to the Editor (LTE) ABQ Journal were free publicity and a big part of them getting their message out regarding wolves, endangered species, anti-oil/drilling, etc.

? Printed material handouts included: posters with pull tabs to join DOW, flyers, citizen advocate handbook (how to lobby congress, send letters, make phone calls, etc.)

? Encouraged to leave info at office lobbies, post at schools and other public places

? ?Policies for wildlife didn't originate in DC, but from concerned citizens like you?

? Cited many ?success stories? from ABQ Journal LTE over past year

? Marsha Leski DOW director of outreach in DC provided report:
o 2010 last election anti-government, reduction of funding to wildlife
o Appropriations Bill crucial to lobby to fund Endangered Species, refuges, climate change programs, etc.
o Lots of amendment riders to bills intended to change agency policy. Mentioned ?Extinction Rider? had been defeated and was big win for DFW? Phone calls, LTE, emails
o Mentioned that she often ?ghost writes? under her mother?s name to write emails and LTEs; suggested that this was a great way to make it look like more people on their side ? just be sure to tell the person in case paper calls them to follow up.

? Focus for 2012: Appropriations (funding) bill & no riders. Stated Heinrich, Bingaman, Lujan all ?great supporters of wildlife? but need to encourage them to stand up and speak out.

? Write congress reps to push for funding to their pet agencies (handout)

? Keystone Pipeline (oil line from Canada to Gulf of Mexico) huge issue because it will destroy lots of habitat, including critical species areas and similar pipeline ?had already destroyed thousands of acres in Canada?.

? Stated that one of best ways to steer Bingaman to revise his support of Keystone Pipeline ?don't let this (extremely bad thing) be your legacy?

? Transportation Bill (March 31) includes riders for oil drilling, including ANWR, Bristol Bay, all coasts and huge threat to wildlife (I didn't mention that with the exception of one guy who had ridden bike to meeting, DOW were all burning petro to drive to this action meeting?)

? Quoted that 78% of public favors Endangered Species, including wolves, so unlikely that standalone bills will try to limit, but instead will be ?sneaked? in as riders to other larger bills; stated that DOW activists must expose these riders!

? DFW Alert Emails include everything you need to write LTE or email your representatives: just tailor a few words to make it personal and send them out. Stressed the need to change a few lines in the beginning to demonstrate you weren't just passing on a form letter.

? Scotty DOW forwards links for LTEs to every single representative in NM (obviously only the LTEs that DOW likes the angle).

? Number of actual articles or subject of articles often mirrors majority of LTEs topics, so LTEs are important

? DOW has been campaigning over past 2-years in NM to focus on wolves and consider big success based on LTEs, newspaper articles, etc.

? Scotty DOW happy to help you edit any LTEs or provide suggestions. He will in turn forward to DOW action alert email addresses so others can scavenge text.

? When writing, be passionate but not inflammatory (no name calling)

? Get info to kids and start them young (one attendee was a teacher and she said that she tries to get kids to write letters and is actively brainwashing them).

? Meet with district staff at their offices during breaks from SF roundhouse: Udahl, Bingaman, Heinrich & their support staff. Create relationship with them so every time you drop in they know you and your agenda; keep following up and make them accountable.

? Lots of apathy; just a few letters and emails can make the difference.

After the Defenders of Wildlife (which they are not) meeting I got to thinking more and came up with a great topic for LTE, emails etc, to help Joe Public understand the wolf situation. DOW stated that ?we need to let the public and politicians know that there are hikers, mountain bikers, outdoor enthusiasts & fisherman who value the outdoors?.

First and foremost, put your money where your mouth is (Hunters & Fisherman bear the lion?s share of cost through Pittman-Robertson Act funding). We put up the $, we should be the ones that call the shots.

Next, since fishing, especially fly fishing, tends to be thought of as more acceptable than hunting, how about we describe the wolf situation in fishing terms that many more will understand.

Something like this: We?ve developed great fishing waters in NM and manage things like Gila cutthroat trout, brook trout, etc for quality waters quality experience. But you know what? I've always wanted to fish for Northern Pike and I want my kids to grow up knowing that this magnificent predator is an every single waterway in NM. Let's stock pike throughout NM because it makes me feel good when I go to sleep just knowing that pike are out there somewhere.

How retarded does this analogy sound? Absolutely moronic, and I bet the vast majority would agree. It's timely because G&F and the public are up in arms because pike were recently discovered in Eagle Nest Lake and it may very well ruin that fishery.

It's the same concept as releasing wolves. We have quality ungulates here in NM; why would anybody with half a brain want to dump wolves into the mix? Make no mistake: wolves are the concept of anti-hunters and their goal is to let predators control elk and deer populations to the extent that human hunters are no longer needed.

I think if we exploit this fishing concept it might help people understand the absurdity of releasing wolves.

Is the Mexican Grey wolf really endangered?

What is the definition of a breeding pair?

How many know wolves are currently in the blue range recovery area? Is this number accurate or estimated? If estimated what is the criteria that the total number is based upon?

Are there mexican grey wolves living outside of the recovery area? If so, how many & where? (remember these wolves don't really exist acording to 99.999% of the websites you will find.. BUT there are a bunch of wolves outside the recovery area.)

Does the above answer include old Mexico?

Did you know that ranchers in the Gila claim that the number of wolves in the gila has not changed in the last 30-50+ years?

The FWS first released mexican grey wolves back into the blue range recovery area on March 30th 1998. They started caputring them over 10 years earlier.

There are currently FORTY SEVEN (47) breeding centers for the mexican grey wolf in the USA.

Ok, so get this...

The mexican grey wolf is NOT really endangered is it?!
What is the total cost to date that has been spent trying to recover a "so called" endangered mexican wolf? Has there been any documented success?

So what is the actual cost per wolf that survives for 5 or more years?

People with no sense don't care how much it costs per wolf because they are NOT the ones footing the bill. We are, and I do care.

If you find the answers to the above questions (I highly recomend you only get your info from reputable sources), you will be furious and demand that this mexican wolf insanity stops now.

yea, I've read everything I can find on this issue. Even the treehugger websites to see what they're up to.

It's amazing how many of those websites tout "facts", when the information they are sharing are false facts, I beleive to be intentional, therefore outright lies. Several are directed towards grade school and middle school kids.

What is the best way to fight back? How do we get the real facts into the hands of our future leaders?

Good posts guys.

We are currently losing the propoganda war big time. Those that live in the city and have no family or friends to get them involved in the outdoors are going to easily be swayed by the "antis" message.

Any way we can get our message out we need to.

Great post Smarba
The analogy about the PIKE is the best idea Ive heard in a long time. It puts the wolf in a context the average person can understand.

CC

Thank you, Carl for taking the time to attend and report back. Good to know how they work. Maybe we can take a page from their playbook.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom