Define sheep shape/backcountry shape?

flyingbrass

Should be able to run x.xx miles in xx minutes.
Should be able to lift xx pounds xx times.
What are your thoughts on goals?
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

Not saying because I've done a sheep hunt, but I expect long term endurance (physical and mental) are key. Can you go sunup to sundown without the fatigue wiping you out for as long as it takes? Are you going with someone or alone? If with someone, will they hold you back or will they set the bar for you? If alone, are you prepared for the isolation over several days, week, etc...? Most find that more testing than they would've thought. These are few things I've learned through elk hunts. I can only expect sheep or goats to be more brutal.

Test yourself several times throughout the summer in the area you will hunt or one similar to it and you'll know what you need to work on. You need to scout anyway.

I'm not so sure you can put it that simple as x miles in x time and lift x weight.....

I assume that your talking about your sheep hunt you won correct?

It is more about how strong your legs are, it is STEEP that will get you so level ground (like in Arkansas)will not build up your legs for steep climbing, find a stadium and run up and down the stairs/bleachers or find a high rise building and use the stairs, you still need to do some miles running/ walking to build up your cardio but throw your backpack on with say 50lbs ( rocks, dog food bag, bag of grain )and when that becomes easy increase it to 75lbs and then 100lbs.

Get some trekking poles and learn how to use them, they are a great help with climbing up the steep hills and balancing your pack load. much easier when you can use your arms to help get up the mountain instead of just your legs.

The big challenge may be if you spot a sheep 1 mile away and 3000 ft above you and you have only 2 hours to get up to it. how fast can you climb 3000ft on a 70 degree slope of loose shale?

Thin air will be a major concern so the better your cardio is the better.
If you can lose any weight I would be doing it, every pound less around your middle that you dont have to carry up those hills.

Good boots, good trekking poles, and good cloths are all important.

I believe that the last Eastman's Sheep issue had a feature on sheep hunting shape. maybe it was gear... but that would be a good article to read.

nochawk,
yes I'm asking since I won the Stone Sheep hunt. I just back from the gym so I'm heading in the right direction. Cardio on bike with stair master a focus as well as squats to build strength. I'll do something everyday to get better. We do have lots of hills around Arkansas so it definately isnot flat except in eastern AR. We say we live in the mountains but they are hills but it's plenty steep around my area.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

It looks like a friend of mine has signed on as personal trainer. We start on Wed. with 20 pounds of weight in our packs and we are working climbing the local trails through the hills of Hot Springs National Park. Starting on East Mountain and might do West Mountain later.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

For strength I climb mountains with a relatively light pack (25 lbs). I try to do three or more hours at a time. I also cut my yard (it is steep) with my boots, pack, and a little push mower. It takes three hours. Strength frequency is 2X per week.

Cardio is all mountain bike riding for me. Low impact but a great workout. Frequency is 4X per week.

I don't think there is a mental workout. I've heard the stat from several outfitters that over 60% of sheep hunters quit if they don't get their sheep by day four. I got my Stone on day 12 of 14. Lost 17 lbs on that hunt.

Finally - shoot, shoot, shoot.

As long as you are in good shape, mental will and toughness are by far the biggeest factor. Of course, the better shape the better, but after a week or more, mental attitude and will to go on is it. Period... Just keep at something reasonable... Be happy if you get an early gift, but prepare mentally for a disappointing hunt up till the last afternoon if necessary....

All good advice. A couple things I would say that would apply to most back country/verticle country hunts would be to simply get yourself a good set of boots (actually you really should have more than one pair). Then load you backpack up with 25 pounds of gear and hike a 4-5 hour hike. Hike vertical, like you would in the mountains. Find a good steep trail with some good elevation gain and hike it like you would on your hunt. Do that until you're feeling more comfortbale. Then throw on a forty pound pack and do the same. When that feels okay, do it with fifty pounds. I have done this for the past few years and I can verify that nothing you can do in a gym, etc will get you in "hiking shape" more than heavy-pack hiking. I hit the gym hard every day and I lift weights and run every day. But nothing gets me in "hiking shape" like doing this workout does. It's not even close. It's the best pre-season workout you can do by far. The other stuff helps no doubt, but this workout method is hands down the way to go. Also, it gives you some major psychological confidence too. And when you are carring a heavy pack on steep terrain, trek poles are a must. They help with balance and they can be used to literally pull you along when needed. Good luck and congrats on the tag!

All of the above are great aspects. Drill it into your head your in for the long hall, the mental side is essential. I drew a sheep tag in 2004 Idaho Frank Church Wilderness.The first 8 days I put on 96 miles on trails going glassing point to glassing point. Never saw a sheep. I saw my first legal ram second trip out on day 21.

This year I am starting with 50 lbs caping salt(incentive) in my pack to warm up for Utah. Good luck on your hunt. JB

I think the most important things are to workout going up and down. Stairs are great if you don't have mountains where you live. I'd suggest climbing up and DOWN the stairs with a pack on. starting out light and gradually working up in weight. The other thing is if you can do some sidehill walking. In sheep hunting, you'll have some very tough climbs, and going down can be worse than going up if your legs aren't conditioned for steep downhill descents. Sidehilling can be tough on your feet and ankles if you're not used to it.

I think a good cardio and weight training program will help a lot, but nothing will prepare you better than climbing straight up and going straight down, and finding the steepest sidehills you can walk on will benefit you too. If you don't live near mountains, and can't get into a skyscraper to climb the stairs, then find a partking garage that is 5-6 stories high and use those stairs. The stairs in parking garages are always open, and they'll do a great job of helping you condition for what you're going to experience.

All excellent advice above. Weight loss is good, but not at the expense of strength loss. Building up the quad and glute muscles is critical. And training on uneven ground is important. Being able to maintain your balance in steep, rough terrain is what will keep you safe. If you fall and injure yourself, your hunt could be over. I start with a light pack of 25 lbs. or so and climb the steepist hills available, working my way up to 100 lbs. before the hunt. Carrying heavy loads over uneven ground will significantly stengthen the small-motor muscles around the knees and ankles that are essential to maintaining balance. If you don't have any hills nearby, stairs will work for stengthening your legs and butt, but will do little for your balance. And you must stenghten your downclimbing muscles. Stairclimbing machines can't replicate this exercise. When you can carry a 100 lb. pack up a steep slope for an hour without stopping, you may be ready.

Finally, toughen yourself mentally. As a famous writer once said, sheep hunting is designed to deprive a man of all of the comforts of civilization to which he has become accustomed. You must go into the hunt determined to stick with it through the end. On my first sheep hunt, which was far and away my toughest, though I was young and fit, I had not killed a ram by the last scheduled day of the hunt. I struck a deal with my outfitter to keep going, determined that I would go home only with a ram or with a broken leg, but not with only sore feet and a sad story. I killed a tremendous ram the next day.

Good luck!

HT

You know when your in sheep shape when you can go hard up and down all day long, and NOT be sore the next day.

This works for me and I am no doctor. I am 40 ish I take ibuprofen starting the week before may hunt on into the hunt. I started it after many days of north face side hilling on a deer hunt Oregon. I have never had knee problems. Both started be become very painful to the point I was done hiking.Never had a problem since. JB

If you're young enough, come out west and get a job on a gung ho high lead logging show as a choker setter. You will be physically and mentally tough enough so that when you go on your sheep hunt it will seem like a restfull vacation.

Not helpfull I know, but true.

Eel

It all boils down to hiking the hills. You can run 20 miles a day,but its not going to get you in the kinda of shape that you need to be in. Also, you must wear a pack of sort while hiking the hills.

The weight will not only help your legs, but get you shoulder prepared for the task ahead.

If you are in "sheep shape" the mental game will be much easier to deal with.

ridgeline outdoors
blacks creek guide gear

if you can get a hold of the Leg routine on the p90x DVDs, thats an awesome workout. I've been on it for a whole year now and its done wonders. PM me if interested.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom