Desert Bighorn Move...

tallbuck1

Wondering if anyone knows what unit these were taken off of? Lasal Potash would be my guess...

Biologists move bighorn sheep 3/08/2013

Biologists moved the small herd to avoid contact with domestic sheep

Moab?Biologists with the Division of Wildlife Resources moved 16 bighorn sheep from the Moab area to San Juan County recently.
Biologists move a bighorn sheep from the handling area to a trailer.

Biologists move a bighorn sheep from the handling area to a trailer.

The animals were relocated to prevent them from coming in contact with domestic sheep and goats. Domestic sheep often carry respiratory illnesses that can be lethal to wild bighorns. When a domestic herd comes in contact with a wild herd, these illnesses are easily transmitted. Even if only one bighorn becomes ill, the disease can spread through the entire herd.

The small herd that was relocated had been in close proximity to domestic animals in Castle Valley.

To capture the bighorns, a helicopter crew netted and airlifted the sheep to a trailer, which biologists then drove to San Juan County.

The crew moved four rams, seven ewes and five lambs.

The sheep were released in John's Canyon on the San Juan River. The canyon offers excellent bighorn habitat and a permanent water source.

The area already supports a population of wild sheep. Biologists say the transplanted sheep should thrive.

Much of the funding for the Feb. 26 move was provided by the Utah Foundation for North American Wild Sheep.

Tallbuck1

I just hope every thing was checked real good, so they dont take a infected sheep to a new area. I think we just need to get rid of the mountain maggetts (domestic sheep) lol

For all the risk and cost of relocating the bighorns, couldn't we just buy the heard of domestic sheep and send them to their grave? I yearn for the day when domestic sheep are obsolete.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-13 AT 02:44PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the heads up tallbuck!
Castle Valley is east of Arches, if that is where they came from.
It's my understanding that all relocated animals have to be checked by a vet and inoculated if needed.
Does anyone know how those John's Canyon sheep are doing?
We can always use another good Desert Sheep population.

Tallbuck, my bet is the sheep are outliers from last two entries from the bottom of your sheep count list.

Gotcha.... Glad to see them saved and transplanted then just left to die.

I don't have any update on the johns canyon herd.

Tallbuck1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom