Desert bighorn sheep

scandalousbob

Here are some pictures & video I took of a desert bighorn sheep in Nevada on Friday. What do you think he would score?

1903desert_bighorn_sheep_01.jpg

8899desert_bighorn_sheep_02.jpg

8293desert_bighorn_sheep_03.jpg

4291desert_bighorn_sheep_04.jpg

9372desert_bighorn_sheep_05.jpg

3943desert_bighorn_sheep_06.jpg

8470desert_bighorn_sheep_07.jpg

591desert_bighorn_sheep_08.jpg

I am out of practice judging, but guess 160ish. I'll be interested to see what others say and how far off I am. :)

He looks way over exposed in your pics and video, is at the case or is he one of the white phased sheep from the very southwest part of Clark County?

Good find for a summer outing.

Former 31 year resident of NV. Pining for the good ol' days.

>I am out of practice judging,
>but guess 160ish. I'll
>be interested to see what
>others say and how far
>off I am. :)
>
>
>He looks way over exposed in
>your pics and video, is
>at the case or is
>he one of the white
>phased sheep from the very
>southwest part of Clark County?
>
>
>Good find for a summer outing.
>
>
>
>Former 31 year resident of NV.
> Pining for the good
>ol' days.

I don't know much about desert sheep, but I don't think it's a camera exposure issue. This and all of the other sheep we saw looked almost white, even to the naked eye. And yes, we were in Clark County.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-12 AT 10:31PM (MST)[p]I'm guessing low 150's at best, maybe even upper 140's.

There's always next year

Low to mid 150's if it's an area with good bases.

The sheep are shedding the bleached-out winter hair and will look like that this time of year. They'll be normal colored and short new-haired in a couple months.

I saw a bunch of dirty-GRAY colored mtn goats on Sat. They were shedding all the dirty winter hair and they'll be short, bright, white-haired beauties in a month.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-12 AT 08:51PM (MST)[p]When I hunted my Rocky bighorn in Wyoming, I was really surprised at how buff colored the sheep were. I was expecting darker coats, but they really stood out, almost like elk. My experience is that, especially this time of year, sheep are pretty light in color, but will darken up as their hair starts to grow.
As far as my scoring guess, I think a safe bet would be to add Robb and Zeke's estimates and say he is between 145-155. He seems to have good bases, but he thins out pretty quickly. I will agree with most of the others and say dead on 150.
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.

I'd say he is under 28" long, 14"-ish bases, thin on the ends and may make low 150s. Good looking sheep but needs some time to score better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom