desert land and livestock views

E

eyecrazy

I hunt the any bull unit on monte cristo alot of that unit is
borderd by destert. they put a note on my truck saying that it
is unethical to hunt there borders and thay don't feel that unethical hunting should be rewarded so they will not let use hunters retreave any game wounded by me. They then would drive the roads that are along the borders and chace any elk that was by the borders back into deseret if they heard a bugle they would then chace down the bull and push it back into desteret.
how ethical is that they would rather have dead elk on there property then lets us have them. the dnr said that they have the right to keep us out. so if you wound an animal and it goes on deseret then you have to call the dnr and they will retreave it and donate it to the first person they decide which would probable be the hunter. isnt chasing elk hurasing wildlife and
aginst the law. so if you plan to hunt this unit be prepared

That is a long topic been going on for years. Them SOB'S think they own everything. I used to hunt there borders to. We used to screw with there security daily. We used to call the bulls off deseret and that really pissed them off. Chasing elk is harrasement but the DWR wont do anything about it with them. Ask them about there helicopter that flies around and pushes the elk. Thats another story. Oh and dropping salt and flour bags in the watering ponds that border deseret.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I'm with you, but it is THEIR property and we can't expect access if our animal crosses over. It sucks....but that's THEIR right. I will be hunting near the border of a CWMU on my elk hunt next week and I will make damn sure that if I shoot a bull near the border I can drop him right there or I won't take the shot. It's not waste on THEIR part, they didn't shoot the animal....

On a side note....Did the note they left specifically say that they would chase bulls back into their land?

That is a #### move leaving the note on your truck though....

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I also have killed a few elk right off the borders of deseret in my time. I have also seen helicopters doing patterns out well onto lighning ridge (public land) and back onto deseret. Watched it with my dad for hours one Wednesday during the muzzy elk hunt three or four years ago. Went on in the middle of the day for a good hour. We were pissed, almost were ready to shoot it down, it was flying that low.

In my opinion, many of the elk on that side of deseret winter on public land, the calves are born on public land, they are property of the state, not deseret. It is completely ethical to hunt public land as long as you do not trespass. The recovering of the game is a sticky issue though. I have mixed thoughts on that since it is private land. Would be nice if they were a little more accomodating....

I have been on a cow elk hunt there and have another one this year. My expirience with them has been great. Great guys and friendly and accomidating guides. I think their operation is top notch and is ran really well. That being said they should allow for retieval on their property if it can be established the elk was shot on public land. They have to watch out for themselves though as well. As far as the helicopter and flour/salt bags. I agree it isn't right, but I am sure if someone got it on video or camera and showed it to the F&G, it would be taken care of, until then it is probably similar to the Mossback rumors and and stories.

As someone who has worked on Deseret and dealt extensively with their wildlife manager I find the original post very hard to believe. I too would like to see the note, scan it and post it up.

Dax

Word for word what did the note say?

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

I will scan it and post it up for all to see in the next day or two the letter is from ken kleg head of security. the dnr is aware of this so you can also call them. the letter said that they where also sending a copy to the dnr. we had one out of three bulls cross the border we called deseret and they called the dnr. we met the dnr at our camp showed the blood trail over three hundred yards off dll then the hunter and the dnr went tracking but lost the trail. so if you wound a animal and it goes in the have the dnr with you before you go we did every thing right and we may or may not have got the animal

>I will scan it and post
>it up for all to
>see in the next day
>or two the letter is
>from ken kleg head of
>security. the dnr is aware
>of this so you can
>also call them. the letter
>said that they where also
>sending a copy to the
>dnr. we had one out
>of three bulls cross the
>border we called deseret and
>they called the dnr. we
>met the dnr at our
>camp showed the blood trail
>over three hundred yards off
>dll then the hunter and
>the dnr went tracking but
>lost the trail. so if
>you wound a animal and
>it goes in the have
>the dnr with you before
>you go we did every
>thing right and we may
>or may not have got
>the animal

I mean...your evidence is so overwhelming. There was a note!

I think this post is about as phony as the note. I am not saying there was or was not a "note" but to lump Deseret in one group of idiots is ridiculous. How are you so sure it was Deseret?

There are some great guys on that ranch. I have heard all kinds of great stories from people that have been on their ranch. And no, no just paying hunters but "Average Joes" who drew a CWMU tag.

>I hunt the any bull unit
>on monte cristo alot of
>that unit is
>borderd by destert. they put a
>note on my truck saying
>that it
>is unethical to hunt there borders
>and thay don't feel that
>unethical hunting should be rewarded
>so they will not let
>use hunters retreave any game
>wounded by me. They then
>would drive the roads that
>are along the borders and
>chace any elk that was
>by the borders back into
>deseret if they heard a
>bugle they would then chace
>down the bull and push
>it back into desteret.
>how ethical is that they would
>rather have dead elk on
>there property then lets us
>have them. the dnr said
>that they have the right
>to keep us out. so
>if you wound an animal
>and it goes on deseret
>then you have to call
>the dnr and they will
>retreave it and donate it
>to the first person they
>decide which would probable be
>the hunter. isnt chasing elk
>hurasing wildlife and
>aginst the law. so if you
>plan to hunt this unit
> be prepared

Your so full of shyt you can't see straight, I guarantee if you wound an animal on the public side and it crosses over on to DLL and you can prove that he was wounded on public land, Todd would probably send 2 guides over to help find it. First you would need to find a security guard or call the office at the ranch, maybe a Game Warden.

And all you douchebags that saw an Apache helicopter with heat seeking missiles chaseing elk on to the ranch, need to realize that its far easier and cheaper to herd the elk onto DLL by opening the general elk season, who needs a helicopter when they have you boys to do the herding for them, where would you go with all that hunting pressure, thats right you'd go to the least amount of pressure!!!!!! I suppose you've seen the security boys packing AK-47's too and maybe their driving Humvees with hugh lift kits on them, right!! What a joke!!!LMAO!!!!

I talk to todd the day after the note was put on my truck he said that we might be able to work somthing out if an animal went into dll. a week later we hit a two point that made it into deseret we call and the dnr called us we met the dnr proved were we shot it and the dnr took one guy in lost the blood trail and that was that we considerd the tag filled and that hunt went home the next day. if you don't beleave the store go hunt the out side of dll or just go for a ride on the weekend during the hunt and see for your self.

>I talk to todd the day
>after the note was put
>on my truck he said
>that we might be able
>to work somthing out if
>an animal went into dll.
>a week later we hit
>a two point that made
>it into deseret we call
>and the dnr called us
>we met the dnr proved
>were we shot it and
>the dnr took one guy
>in lost the blood trail
>and that was that we
>considerd the tag filled and
>that hunt went home the
>next day. if you don't
>beleave the store go hunt
>the out side of dll
>or just go for a
>ride on the weekend during
>the hunt and see for
>your self.

I'd suggest you give up hunting and invest in night school..

This issue could be resolved a couple of ways:

1. Don't shoot the animal as its crossing the property line.
2. Shoot better.

"I talk to todd the day after the note was put on my truck he said that we might be able to work somthing out if an animal went into dll. a week later we hit a two point that made it into deseret we call and the dnr called us we met the dnr proved were we shot it and the dnr took one guy in lost the blood trail and that was that we considerd the tag filled and that hunt went home the next day. if you don't beleave the store go hunt the out side of dll or just go for a ride on the weekend during the hunt and see for your self."

Wow, what a coincidence lol...

I've never been to Deseret, but if anybody sees them harassing wildlife with a helicopter, let me know.

I will drive over, film the whole thing, and take them to court. Screw DNR if this is going on and they are looking the other way.

As far as the game retrieval, it is their property...hopefully they handle it well.

Grizzly

>Who's bright idea was it to
>get this guy to run
>a scanner? Something tells me
>that's not going to happen.
>

Dat's no chit! Probably has to have flash cards that say breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out....

DLL has a lot of problems with guys crossing the property line and shooting bulls on Deseret. My buddy is on the security team and he said that people will actually take 4-wheelers around the gate and drive down the DLL roads looking for elk.
There are a lot of dumb people that hunt up there and don't know the boundaries. I think the note (If it exsists), is more of just a warning to stay on public property and to avoid shooting an elk so close to the border.
I think it helps if you put yourself in DLL's position. Would you really want to go out and retrieve wounded game on your property all day? I understand that it's going to happen once in a while, but in this area it happens far too much. Most hunters know that if they shoot a bull from that trail, it's going to head straight over the DLL.

Just my opinion

This topic surfaces every so often. I don't care how nice the guys are on deseret, their operation is all about them! They go to no expense to make sure they get as many animals back on deseret before the general hunts start. About 7 years ago I did my research and decided to give lightning ridge a shot for the opener of the bow hunt for deer and elk. I back packed in there for the opener of the archery elk hunt to an area I scouted out and had found numerous bucks and bulls. I made camp and went to bed completely stoked about the area and what I had saw. I was awakened that night by a helicopter flying the northfacing slope of wheatgrass canyon back and forth. Up to that point I had only heard stories and did not believe them. Pissed off, I tried to get some sleep and hoped I would see something to hunt in the morning. That morning I got up and headed out to my area. as the sun came up, I heard horses walking and people talking very loudly. They came right by my water hole, they were wearing regular clothes. I stood up and asked them if they knew the elk hunt was open and they just said, "yeah, we're just going for a morning ride." Pissed off that they just brushed right through my hunting area, I headed back up towards the border And low and behold, there was a truck and horse trailer parked on deseret side of the border where their road ends and public land starts. There was two other guys getting ready to head out in a different direction on the public land side. Now answer this question, why the heck do they need to go for a horse ride on public land on the opener of the elk hunt when they have their own land to ride on?? The first two guys were nowhere near their border when I ran into them. You can't tell me they weren't trying to scatter the animals on public land. I know what I saw and there was nothing ethical or fair about it. They don't own those animals, and if they want to lay claim to them, put up a FENCE to end all the mixed feelings and arguments/controversy on this topic. Before the hunt started, I saw numerous bulls and bucks on public land. Once it started, I saw ZERO! They know what they are doing. And to me it is stealing opportunity from the honest hunter who has every right to hunt up to their border. I went back the next week and saw absolutely nothing again. How could an area that held so many elk and deer before the hunt started go completely dead right after the hunt started when there was hardly any other hunters in the area?? Believe it or don't believe it, I could care less. I'm a firm believer that those dudes on that ranch are crooked in every way.

I don't mean to be so ignorant, but just where is Monte Cristo and the Deseret Ranch? This is the first time that I have ever heard of it.

Public land means it public land. If people want to go for a horse ride, they have every right to be there regardless of what day it is. There is nothing ethical or unethical about it. Its public. Hunters have no more rights to the land on opening morning than anyone else.

Think maybe the lack of big game had anything to do with sheep being run through there a week before the hunt? It wasn't two dudes on horses that changed the vegitation from being tall and thick to looking like a tornado had been through.

Absolute bullshit, there is NO need to chase any animals onto Deseret from public land, and further more Rick would Fire any guide or security personel that did!!!!! Again a helicopter is totally unnecessary as the horrdes of public hunters do a fine job of herding elk and deer, maybe you needed to go look for all the other hunters that were scouting the area!!!

Did you ask if they were Deseret employees or did you just assume that was the case? They may have been the cowboy crew looking for cattle that drifted over horse ridge, The Gov trapper hangs out there quite a bit and there are 2 different sheep owners that graze the ranch? Your problem is you DON'T know, you ASSUME so you'll never be convinced otherwise!!! You fellers that hate land owners that manage their land so that there is abundant wildlife, need to ask yourself why with millions of acres of public land you want to sneek in on private land!!!

Nobody on the ranch that I've ever visited with has any desire what so ever to screw the public hunter on the public land side, it isn't even mentioned other than when someone sneeks acrossed the line!!!!

So again I'll call bullshit, there is just no need for them to do what you claim!!!!!

I find your language offensive, AND now you look like the donkey.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Funny story, i have hunted lightning ridge for a umber of years and i always see elk and deer, bucks and bulls. i even see moose up that way. I also have seen more people jumping out of their trucks, letting those diesels wind down and shut off, waiting 3 seconds to let out some cough-bugle-sneeze from the wally world elk call they just bought and never practiced with before the hunt. I have seen more of that than any unethical landowner or guides, etc, causing problems or being engaged in illegal activities. I'm sorry MR BACKPACKER that your hunt was ruined, but to be honest the amount of public land with all the road out on lightning ridge would never require someone to back pack in... unless you walked on the road the other hunters road their trucks down 4-wheelers on. those raods stay opened through out the bow season then are shut down because the area is a water shed. my 2 cents here.

Until I see the note, I call BS on this story. I'm not for or against Deseret, but I have hunted there and they seem to run a top notch operation as far as I can tell. Show us some proof, or give it a rest.

"Nobody on the ranch that I've ever visited with has any desire what so ever to screw the public hunter on the public land side, it isn't even mentioned other than when someone sneeks acrossed the line!!!!"

I totally agree!

Everything about Deseret is a class operation. They treat their drawn hunter excellent!!

here is the letter
6430img011.jpg

I see nothing wrong with that letter. I think you may be taking it to personal. If you're following the rules then you have nothing to worry about.

i don't see anything wrong with the note, lets put it into context...a bow shot animal even with a good shot placement can and will cover some ground....can they as landowners STOP the dwr from helping retreive a LEGALLY harvested STATE owned animal from there property...

I am not sure but the dnr said they will retieve the animal and donate it to whomever so you might not get your animal. my 2010 archery bull went maybe 60 yards and was dead my 2007 archery bull hit the dirt when the arrow hit him. but my buddys 2010 bull went over 400 yards and was never found but they would only let us look for one day with the dnr. I have been a part of killing 19 bulls in the last ten years in that area and only had 4 cross into deseret. we were able to get one of those. jsut thought I would give everyone a heads up on what you have to do if it happens to you. good luck to all

I like how the first part of the letter basically says that any animal hit on public land and dies on their side, was pushed there by the hunter. Thats a bunch of crap! Those animals are so used to being pushed back onto deseret by the wild game herders/hoarders that it is instinct for them to run that way.

To the dude that commented about the horse guys having every right to ride when and where they want, your right, they or anyone else can ride a horse where ever it is permitted on public land. BUT, where I was hunting, down wheatgrass canyon where there are NO roads, in order for those guys to get to where I was at sun up, they would have had to leave when it was dark from their truck on deseret. And on opening morning of the elk hunt?? Sounds pretty suspicious as to what they were really doing/trying to accomplish. But who cares right? In the end, the guy with the deep pockets always gets his way and the average joe will always get stepped on and pushed aside. To the honest hunters out there, keep your gaurd up an be prepared.

Everythings cool, I don't hunt that area. I have found a good area that between my dad and I in the last seven years we have taken 6 bulls. Public land, nowhere near a cwmu.

Oh and just last year while hunting public land I was stopped by a dnr officer and was asked if I knew where the boundaries were to the nearest cwmu for deer. He took me to his truck and pulled the cwmu unit up on his laptop and made sure I understood where the borders were. I was hunting nowhere near the borders due to PAST experiences. Sounds like the dnr must get quite a bit of revenue from these private hunting units or else why would this guy go to such extreme measures to make sure no one hunted the unit that was not supposed to? But again, who cares. Big money will always get the political support they need to exterminate the average joes opportunity by making the average joe fear the boarders of BIG MONEY.

Can the folks that wound an animal on Deseret track it on public property without the DNR present?

For you guys saying you can't backpack on lightning ridge, get a map out and you will see there are some areas away from roads. i.e. Bear Hollow or down lightning ridge a ways looking into Wheatgrass either area can be worth a good hike or backpack trip. As far as seeing helocoptors, I have twice and it is no lie. I pretty much stopped hunting up there after dealing with the helocopter and less game than I used to see. Nowdays, I just go up there every couple years to chase some grouse.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-10 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-10 AT 09:37?PM (MST)

>For you guys saying you can't
>backpack on lightning ridge, get
>a map out and you
>will see there are some
>areas away from roads. i.e.
>Bear Hollow or down lightning
>ridge a ways looking into
>Wheatgrass either area can be
>worth a good hike or
>backpack trip. As far as
>seeing helocoptors, I have twice
>and it is no lie.
>I pretty much stopped hunting
>up there after dealing with
>the helocopter and less game
>than I used to see.
>Nowdays, I just go up
>there every couple years to
>chase some grouse.

So tell me did the chopper have DLL on the side or did it have identifing marks as such, did you get a serial no. and trace it back to DLL. People fly low with airplanes and choppers all the time that have nothing to do with the ranch. The only times I've known DLL to have a chopper on the ranch was either the Fish & Game or when they gathered cattle off of the mountain, they'll gather BEEF cows with a chopper to save time when nessasary, but it has nothing to do with herding elk or deer on to the ranch from public ground! Again bullshit, it doesn't happen period!!!

Tell me how they're screwing any of you when your licence isn't good once you cross the line?

By the way bloodtracker, wouldn't you consider yourself a herder when you're hunting up there! Wild animals when hunted tend to go to the least amount of hunting pressure wouldn't you say? Or would you consider yourself a blocker?

when I killed it I didn't have a camera it was shot around 6:00 pm so by the time we got back with help to pack it out it was dark. I can prove every thing I say I had two guys with me when I killed it double lung shot he went 60 yards and that was it if you would like I can take you to the gut pile. you might be able to drag a unguted bull but I can't I have hunted up there for 10 years and never crossed into dll inless dll or dnr was with me.

quit huntin' the freakin' fenceline and you have no more problems. That goes for the average Joe, deep pocketed private land hunters and whoever else is out there.

T264

Wrong again, if you can read, there are yellow signs at the proper spacings all along the border that a blind man can see. If you can't see the signs, you don't want to see the signs.

I don't see any problem with a public lands hunter hunting public wildlife right up to the fence line (or sign line) of private property. After all they are hunting public lands. Additionally I think private property owners and especially CWMU's who are given a right to sell and hunt publicly owned wildlife for a profit should be more willing to allow public hunters to retrieve game that have crossed the line and died assuming they could follow a blood trail from public to private. I know CWMU's are constantly dealing with trespasser's, but that is not the point. If a hunter has been legal and not crossed the line I don't understand why there would not be more cooperation from the CWMU or the landowner.

It would be helpful for private property owners to remember that the wildlife is PUBLIC PROPERTY and for the public lands hunters to respect private property owners by not trespassing. Probably both parties would have less issues if this were the case.

JMO

LMAO!!!!!
I guide on Deseret, have for 16 years and you guys bashing it are totally off your rockers!!
And someone saw a video with Doyle Moss on it from Deseret?? He hasn't been on that property for 15 years!!!
People people people....get it straight before you toss out useless accusations.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-10 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]you must not really guide on deseret because in one of his latest videos a kid shot a retarded bull off deseret. you are a joke.

>you must not really guide on
>deseret because in one of
>his latest videos a kid
>shoot a retarded bull off
>deseret. you are a joke.
>
Ummmm listen Travis, PM me with your facts before you cal ME a fool!!
The ONLY people who outfit on deseret are Wild Country, DLL, and Bucks and Bulls......FACT!!!!!!!

>fool
As a mod i can't call you waht i want to, "Fool" will just have to do.
Funny how i just sent one text to Mossback to verify that YOU are an idiot.
Put up your video name where it shows Doyle guiding on Deserert or STFU.

Further investigation makes me eat my own hat, yes the gov tag kid did kill his bull there, you are correct, my apology.
The other BS is just that....BS.

This whole post is BS!!
Just another pissin match thats getting people nowwhere.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

it took one email to them and i got the reply back also. if i stated "guiding" in my first post then i was wrong, but i think i said hunting...

Slamdunk, how many guides do you have up there? are you animal specific or region on the land specific? how does it all work?

Travis-
I misinterpreted what you meant.
Yes the Gov tag kid killed his bull on DLL last year due to some connection with the people who run the ranch and a healthy fee.
Mossback does not operate on that ranch during regular hunts.
The ranch is outfitted by the three outfitters i mentioned above.
We all share the ranch together and hunt out of two lodges, it works out great. I have been up there the last two weeks and go back for another hunt next week.
As far as how many guides....there are a lot....i can assure you that. Last week there were 18 just in my camp.

it looks like there is enough land to sustain a good amount of deer and elk and lopes, etc... also letting it hold a good amount of outfitters and guides. Good luck on your hunts.

Didn't say anything about flour bags, salt in ponds, etc. All I said is I have twice now seen helocopters coming of deseret while hunting down off lightening ridge. Learn to read idiot...

I know what I saw, know where I was at and I was not the only one to see it. Time to shut up since you weren't there and then you added a bunch more crap to what I originally said. go back and review what I have said, I am done with this worthless post...

>Didn't say anything about flour bags,
>salt in ponds, etc. All
>I said is I have
>twice now seen helocopters coming
>of deseret while hunting down
>off lightening ridge. Learn to
>read idiot...
>
>I know what I saw, know
>where I was at and
>I was not the only
>one to see it. Time
>to shut up since you
>weren't there and then you
>added a bunch more crap
>to what I originally said.
>go back and review what
>I have said, I am
>done with this worthless post...
>

Funny how Deseret gets blamed for the helicopters.
Just last week "someone" was buzzing the ranch in their bird while we were in there hunting with 18 clients....i can guarantee you numbers were taken off the tail and reported.
As far as Deseret pushing elk back ON to the ranch is totally absurd. The habitat on that ranch is better than anywhere on this planet for elk, there is NO need to push elk back ON the ranch. why would we push a 320" border hopper bull when there are 1500 bulls just like him and much better??

If it wasn't you then it was one of the other Idiots, OK you saw a chopper, do you know what it was being used for? Hell no you don't, you just assumed that because it was on Deseret that YOU were gettin screwed. I'm sure if you owned DLL YOU wouldn't run a hunting program to benefit the resource and provide an opportunity for those that draw the hunt AND those who buy the hunt with a pretty damn good hunt. Again there's no need for DLL to herd elk onto the ranch you fellers do a fine job of that. You would probably let every Tom, ##### and Harry run around unchecked to do as they please.

Hey while I'm thinking about it, why don't you guys that hunt out on the public ground CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!!! If you pack it in pack it out!!! I've never seen so much garbage on public land, my God there's more old camps down there than you can shake a stick at, what a dump!!!!!

Slamdunk, how'd ya make out on the 2 rifle hunts? I made the archery hunt, my hunter clipped one high at 45 yds after 4 days of goin hard, He got some good video and a memory to take home but Josh W hunter got to take him home to put on the wall!!!!

>If it wasn't you then it
>was one of the other
>Idiots, OK you saw a
>chopper, do you know what
>it was being used for?
>Hell no you don't, you
>just assumed that because it
>was on Deseret that YOU
>were gettin screwed. I'm sure
>if you owned DLL YOU
>wouldn't run a hunting program
>to benefit the resource and
>provide an opportunity for those
>that draw the hunt AND
>those who buy the hunt
>with a pretty damn good
>hunt. Again there's no need
>for DLL to herd elk
>onto the ranch you fellers
>do a fine job of
>that. You would probably let
>every Tom, ##### and Harry
>run around unchecked to do
>as they please.
>
>Hey while I'm thinking about it,
>why don't you guys that
>hunt out on the public
>ground CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!!!
>If you pack it in
>pack it out!!! I've never
>seen so much garbage on
>public land, my God there's
>more old camps down there
>than you can shake a
>stick at, what a dump!!!!!
>
>
>Slamdunk, how'd ya make out on
>the 2 rifle hunts? I
>made the archery hunt, my
>hunter clipped one high at
>45 yds after 4 days
>of goin hard, He got
>some good video and a
>memory to take home
>but Josh W hunter got
>to take him home to
>put on the wall!!!!

Hey destroyer, talk to me on PM about the bull you guys "clipped". Is this the bull that was hit by Epic Broadheads and two out of three bounced off??? If so that bull is dead.

Funny stuff how you can be a part of this site and go off on someone because you think it is all BS. Then you find out it is true. Same thing always happens when anyone bad mouths a guiding outfit on here. I would bet most story's are true. You should not be aloud on here.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-10 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]And why is that hero? Because when anyone spells anything wrong or their grammar is not up to your standard. Your ego is to big for you. So get off your high horse, you are not the MAN that you think you are. But with out you here Mossback wouldn't have their number one guy to set everyone strait. You are a joke.

Ha ha I cant spell very good either bearman, dry the tears. Don't dish out your ##### if you can't take some back.

>Funny stuff how you can be
>a part of this site
>and go off on someone
>because you think it is
>all BS. Then you find
>out it is true. Same
>thing always happens when anyone
>bad mouths a guiding outfit
>on here. I would bet
>most story's are true. You
>should not be aloud on
>here.
What's you deal bearman?
Did you not read that the post was misinterpreted by both parties and that i gave my open public apology to him?
He was cool about it and obviously a man, why don't you man up and let the fire die that was already doused!

I wonder how many people will be hunting "Lightning ridge" after reading this post.

The people that run DLL are good people. I don't blame them for writing the note. I would probably do the same thing if I had as many problems on a piece of property like that. Every year they catch poachers and trespassers. And every year they find dead bulls that we never retreived.

Pretty frustrating for a land owner if you ask me.

>I wonder how many people will
>be hunting "Lightning ridge" after
>reading this post.
>
>The people that run DLL are
>good people. I don't blame
>them for writing the note.
>I would probably do the
>same thing if I had
>as many problems on a
>piece of property like that.
>Every year they catch poachers
>and trespassers. And every year
>they find dead bulls that
>we never retreived.
>
>Pretty frustrating for a land owner
>if you ask me.
Excellent post!

I dont see how many more ppl will even fit on Lightning Ridge!!!!! It's like a Wal-Mart parking lot as it is now!!!!

I'm ok if everyone wants to stay on lightning :)

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Funny to me how Lightning is so popular for border hunters.....must just be the fence and DLL no trespassing signs that attract them cuz it's the worst place on the ranch for killable bulls INSIDE that fence. Lol

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-10 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Just as soon as these fellers quit making false accusations that do not happen! Do not assume!
DLL has absolutely no reason to screw anybody on public land.

Wow, I take a couple days off from the puter and this thread still ain't locked.

To those of you who work on Deseret, why don't they put up a fence around the ranch instead of carving out their border through the trees?? It only makes sense if they're such a "high end" operation like you say they are, that they protect their assets with a high fence.

>Wow, I take a couple days
>off from the puter and
>this thread still ain't locked.
>
>
>To those of you who work
>on Deseret, why don't they
>put up a fence around
>the ranch instead of carving
>out their border through the
>trees?? It only makes sense
>if they're such a "high
>end" operation like you say
>they are, that they protect
>their assets with a high
>fence.

Do you have any idea what a high fence would cost going along the west border? Besides who needs it, If some of you fellers get to harvest a bull on the public side more power to ya!! I know of no one on the ranch that would be the least bit concerned, AGAIN no one is protecting any assets, if they're on the public land side of the line, fire away, your tag is not valid once you pass the yellow signs!!!!!! Why should it be locked.

Then that would make it a "high fence opperation, no??
Those elk on that ranch are free to come and go as they please and it will stay that way.

High fence the ranch after all animals are off their private land. Problem solved, then they cant sell public animals.

so how many elk are wonded and not fond on the ranch I am open with dll on were I hunt and try to help them in anyway I can I have caught a few poachers my self they know I don't cross there border but still screw with me. I had my 12 year old cousin up there on the youth hunt the bulls started talking and coming so the security parked his truck between use and the bulls. we still killed a 300 class bull it just took a day or two longer. so how many elk a killed on the ranch each year.

DLL security are NOT "keeping elk in" you guys,
they are security to keep trespassers OUT plain and simple.
Why would we care about a 300" bull, there are at least a thousand more just like them on the ranch that we don't even care to kill!

Ive also experienced the same thing you have on dll,And i shot a cow moose in 2008 up there and ran onto DLL and I went back to get my truck and Two forest service guys went with me to retrieve it.They told me they have no right to keep you from blood trailing a state owned animal onto private ground.If anything they should be charged with wasting wildlife if they dont let you.I have also been on skull crack cwmu and have caught Atv's Running back onto dll from skull crack.And i thought a dll guide had to be with hunters at all times. That other dude is just trying to make himself look better than they are.He has gotton awfully mad of being accused of things he says they never do.A bunch of crap IMO.

I bet most of you guys that say "DIY on public land" is the only way to go would be the ones lined up along the DLL property line opening morn!

T264

Why not, it is after all an area opened to the public is it not? You gotta hunt where the game is, that may be a water hole, a lush green mountain basin, a heavily used game trail, migration routes, public land that borders private.....where is the divider here T264?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-10 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]>Ive also experienced the same thing
>you have on dll,And i
>shot a cow moose in
>2008 up there and ran
>onto DLL and I went
>back to get my truck
>and Two forest service guys
>went with me to retrieve
>it.They told me they have
>no right to keep you
>from blood trailing a state
>owned animal onto private ground.If
>anything they should be charged
>with wasting wildlife if they
>dont let you.I have also
>been on skull crack cwmu
>and have caught Atv's Running
>back onto dll from skull
>crack.And i thought a dll
>guide had to be with
>hunters at all times. That
>other dude is just trying
>to make himself look better
>than they are.He has gotton
>awfully mad of being accused
>of things he says
>they never do.A bunch of
>crap IMO.

Hell why would I get mad, you fellers come up with the dumbest accusations, if you want to trade insults I can do that no problem, but once again do you know what is actually happening when you see something happening or are you assuming what is happening. You thought this and you thought that, but do you actually know? I don't beleive forest service personel have any say what can and can't be done with wildlife on private land that would be a Game warden. I'm actually enjoying this bit of banter, because what I see happen on the ranch and what you fellers say happen don't correlate real well!!What a bunch of crap!!!! LMAO!

eyecrazy, just like everywhere else there are occasional wounded animals, it varies year to year, we give it our best shot to find each one if at all possible, but if a hunter draws blood, whether they have paid for the hunt or not, that is their animal, period. You hunt that animal until your hunt is over, frankly that should be the way it is on public land also, but good luck with that!!!!

Isn't it less of an accomplishment to kill a private land bull or buck or do they become "wild" and fair chase when they pass through the imaginary public/private line? I don't have a dog in this fight, just sayin'...

T264

DestroyerSelf350,
You've got no argument either. It's your word against the public land hunters. How do we know that your not full of Chit when you say, "What I see happen on the ranch and what ya'll fellars see happen don't much correlate real well"?

If we had the option to keep hunt the animals we hit we would put dll will not let that happen even if we could go in without weapons would be fine put like I said they only let us look one day and that is it. don't all those 300 bulls grow into 350 bulls for the publice hunter a 300 bull is very hard to come by so I will gladly take them all day long and if I can call a 380 over then I will be happy also. the any bull units are some of the toughest to hunt in the state so we hunters have to take every advantage we can. how many acers is dll and how many hunters then look at the any bull area and how many hunters. I know of four bulls taken out of that area and We took two out of all the hunters I seen I bet that might be a 1 or a 1/2 percent success rate. so as long as I have to hunt such a tough area I am going to take every advantage

Man this is a long winded post, Where and what is the DLL . I have'nt heard of it before. Is it a private ranch with LO permits they sell or is it just a cattle operation that doesnt like trespasser's. Seem's like they would lose lot's of cattle if they did all the things I'm reading about on here. At least the ones within 500 yds of the fence line .

This is a great post, anyone that works for a large business
knows that there are laws they follow to a t and there are laws
that have a gray area that they take full advantage of. I work for avery large retail grocery company and I see it alot, they have the money and people to get away with it, not saying it is right or wrong.
Now, I do have a couple of experiences with dll and they are exact oppisite of each other.
Back in early 2000-2001 when you could hunt Causey, I went up there with 3 of my friends on the muzz elk hunt, we drove way back and parked about 1/4 mile from the dll gate which had a truck and a guy sitting at, we went down the canyon to a point where we had seen 3 bulls, 2 raghorns and a 350 type bull. the bulls were 300-400 yards below the dll signs on the hillside,we were planning a stalk to get the big bull when a helicopter flew straight down the canyon from our backside and literally ran the big bull straight up the hill and over the top onto dll,
the guy at the gate got in his truck and left. We did get one of the raghorns, so we were happy, did not know any better.
We were back up there the very next year in the same canyon and the signs had been moved way down the hill from where they were the year before, so most of that canyon was out of play.
Now, the kid I elk hunt with now has drawn a cow elk tag for dll 3 times over the past few years and he has nothing but great things to say about all the people up there, they are fun, helpful and very smart about hunting, and they treat him very well. He looks forward to going back each year.
I have seen both sides and have heard both sides but that is what you get with large businesses with lots of money, they are not going to please everyone.

Allen

Allen-
Good sensible post, but i assure you DLL is NOT worried about one 350" bull wandering off the ranch when there are 2500 head ON the ranch.
Yes we do have security that watch borders and for obvious reasons, but using birds to herd elk back inside??? Lol
If my post above was read, you can see that someone in a chopper actually screwed us up last week up there.
People fly that ranch all the time, we can't govern the skies.

i think the was addressed already by you samdunk, but really how much does it cost to fly a helicopter per hour? i thik at east n my min it wouldnt be worth it to herd just one bull back onto the property. even at that like was afore mentioned, there are 2K+ head of elk or was it 2500, i dont remeber, but out of all the bulls i highly doubtit would be cost efficient to use a choper on just one elk. just my 2 cents.

In Tucson , AZ. it costs me 350 bucks an hour for a lesson and one hour of flying time

Slamdunk, I agree with you they are not worried about one bull and I do not know if it was dll that flew or not it is just what we saw, I do not have an opinion either way, they run a pretty good operation, could be better but it could be far worse

Destroyerself350,

You sure don't represent the other side of the fence too well. I'm beginning to wonder if all the DLL guys are as bad as you. Your another reason to never put in for a hunt on your side of the fence.

In your first statement, "I GENERALLY have a good idea whats happening on my side of the line" has been interpreted as, "you kind of know whats going on, on your side of the line". So how do you know when someone makes "dumbass" accusations when you only KIND OF KNOW whats going on over there in "happy, freindly, honest" land?

No kidding DLL doesn't guide hunts on public land. Thats the reason they push the animals back on their land. You better try typing slower so your thought process can catch up with your fingers buddy.

Wow, this thread is still going strong?!?!

I will say this. I have been out hunting a lot. A typical season finds me on the mountain 30+ days. Out of all those days and years I don't think I have ever encountered a low flying chopper. Seen them off in the distance and such, but not low flying like has been said by multiple persons on this thread. Kind of odd that would be the case up there so much. Not saying the choppers are dll or not, just a little weird that is happening fairly regularly up there.

Also I want to say that while slam represents and defends dll respectfully and professionally, destroyer350 makes me not want to ever hunt the property with his verbal assaults and immature responses. I'd be afraid I'd end up with him as my guide! Not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, but I believe when you represent a business you need to carry yourself with a certain amount of professionalism and respect. Now that being said, I don't believe that has been represented well from some of the "anti dll" crowd as well, but I have higher expectations from somebody representing a big company such as dll.

Just my .02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom