Desert Sheep Scouting Pics

M

maddglasser

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 03:35?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-08 AT 03:32?PM (MST)

Took these pics on June 23rd near my home. My son(4) and I got within 25 yrds and watched him mount a ewe 5-6 times. I don't know if she was receptive or not but he was tryin anyhow.
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

4867fd5304895609.jpg

4867ff230ed21b73.jpg

Any guesses on score? I'm figuring a little over book 170-172

He looks just like Rick Corvans ram from last year At 173. This ram is definatly 172-174. This is about the sixth 170 class ram found in the same area within 1/2 mile of where Rick Corvan killed his ram on opening day last yr.

Just looked at your website picture of Rick's ram from last year...I believe his ram is considerably bigger than the live photo ram.

The live photos are great and it is a good ram but I seriously doubt he breaks 168. Closer to 162 I think.

He maybe. Rick thinks this ram is almost a carbon copy. About 7 of the people on Ricks hunt have also said the same. But that is the way it goes I guess.
My #'s are
14 4/8
14 5/8
11 4/8
8 5/8
36 4/8
170 4/8
What your #'s
Travis

Here's my numbers
14 6/8
14 6/8
11 6/8
8 6/8
87 x 2 =174
Even if I drop 1/4 inch off of each measurement it puts him at 171 1/2. Nobody can truly precicely judge in the in the field. I'm simply basing numbers from my experience from the rams we've killed in that area. I think if I'm within 4 inches I'm doing good.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]Here's my numbers:
14 - Base (he's not that big and not even close to 15)
13 - 1st Quarter (starts to taper a bit fairly quick)
11 - 2nd Quarter
8 - 3rd Quarter (I'll bet he's under 8 by a tad)
36 - length

82 x 2 = 164
164 - 1 (shorter on his one horn) = 163 Final

He's a cool looking ram and it is always fun to see what other people think about what rams will score.

BTW, if you are wondering if I have any credentials for this bit, I have guided for lots of Rocky's and have scored probably over a hundred sheep in the last 10 years. What's cool is field judging them and then checking them out on the ground a little later to see if you were right...I've always been pretty close to my first guess on Rocky's.

I know Desert sheep are a different deal than Rocky's and that I could be underjudging this ram.

I'd also like to say that if given a chance to crack a ram like this: click, boom!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-08 AT 05:20PM (MST)[p]Most of the sheep in this area will commonly have 14 1/2 bases. Gettin to 15 is tough. One thing that is deceiving is this ram had just finished watering when I took the pic. The sheep down here will take around 1/4 to 1/3 their weight in water. They swell like a balloon when they drink. I too have been hunting and guiding sheep for many years, my first sheep hunt I was on was 27 yrs ago. Since then I have guided and helped on over 25 desert sheep, 6 in this particular unit. I live 10 minuets from where this ram is now, I have actually watched him since Feb. I have also seen him with multiple rams. It is EXTREMLY tough to judge a sheep when there are no other rams around. We looked again at this ram this morning with several other guy's (prominant names) who all thought he was 168-172. That is the fun part, guessing the score. My brother killed a 162 ram in 86', the measurements you gave follow his almost exact, he hangs in my house as we speak. I stare at him every night, and I would kill his ram anytime, but I feel this guy is better. Opinions are like a$$holes, we got all em.

FYI on a desert sheep, where the white and brown meet on the nose is typ 12-13 around inches on a mature ram. At the bridge just below the eye will be about 16 inches around and the ears are typ 4 inches long.
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Travis,
Thanks for the insights into those great rams...hopefully I can draw and we can ground check one together! Looks like you have a good handle on what is in the area...very cool.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-08 AT 03:22AM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-08
>AT 06:49?PM (MST)

>
>Here's my numbers:
>14 - Base (he's not that
>big and not even close
>to 15)
>13 - 1st Quarter (starts to
>taper a bit fairly quick)

So what do you base 15 inches on?
It looks like he starts to taper at his third Qtr mark not his first Qtr mark. Do me a favor, don't show up in my camp!

If you have to ask a question like that and you actually think this ram doesn't taper till the thirds, you either haven't measured many sheep heads or you don't know any better. Sheep are always smaller at the 2nd than they are at the base and 1st quarters...they taper. Very seldom does the 1st quarter exceed the base...almost never, even though it might look really heavy. Travis himself, who knows these sheep said it is tough to make 15" bases. Desert sheep are smaller than Rocky's and if this was a Rocky, I would not say he has 15" bases.

BTW, your camp wouldn't interest me.

bighorn191 a reliable source told me this ram was killed this Dec and he scored 172 1/8. I think you said his bases weren't even close to 15"! Well they were 15" as a matter of fact. His 1st are 14" his 2nd qtr were 12" with 8.5" last qtr and 36" horns. You were off by 9"!!!

BTW, I don't like arrogant people in my camp.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom