Desert Sheep

I wonder what these sheep think when they wake up up north after being jerked out of the hood. LOL.

We used to watch these sheep in BC park frequently.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]>thats a pretty neat thing there.
>Too bad we couldnt trade
>some states for like moose
>or other types of sheep.
>

Why trade sheep for sheep? Nevada currently has all three subspecies of wild sheep that could successfully occur in the in the state. There are not other types of sheep, other than exotics and domestics, that could successfully occur in Nevada.

I'm fairly certain that desertbonehunter was talking about trading desert sheep for more Rocky Mtn. sheep or CA. Sheep. Our Rocky Mtn. sheep #'s are fairly low due to recent die offs.

>I'm fairly certain that desertbonehunter was
>talking about trading desert sheep
>for more Rocky Mtn. sheep
>or CA. Sheep. Our
>Rocky Mtn. sheep #'s are
>fairly low due to recent
>die offs.

That would make sense...

However, in the case of Cali's and deserts, due to the numbers, Nevada is able to farm from our own populations for genetic diversity and transplant/population establishment projects. The biologists are a bit gun shy to even move sheep around within the state for genetic diversity purposes, let alone from other states. As for the Rockys, they occur in all areas that they can (politically and ecologically). At this point, I believe, the state's current plan is to allow the Ruby/E. Humboldt population to come back naturally, but I agree. More Rockys would be a solid trade!

LAST EDITED ON May-07-12 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]There are plans to bring 30 Rocky's from Alberta to the east humboldts in February 2013.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-12 AT 08:20AM (MST)[p]To set them up for another dieoff? After seeing the Rubies go through two big ones, maybe something should be done about domestic interaction before transplanting more?

Yeah, agreed! But what are the options for eliminating interactions with domestics? I'm sure they have considered multiple options, but none would fit well politically or cost effectively. My guess is that the interaction is coming from escapees from the ranches at the foothills of the east and west sides of the Rubys, not strays from trailing. To my understanding, the biologist responsible for the units flew in and rounded up a handful of feral goats near the crest of the Rubys a month or so back. It's just tough to hold folks accountable for their stray domestics for multiple reasons. So, at this point the options are bring them in and cross our fingers, or don't bring them in at all....I'm for new sheep.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom