Digital Camcorder advice/suggestions?

Bruinbrewin

I am looking to buy a small digital camera/video recorder and am considering the Sony DCR-DVD505. Does anyone have any experience with this model or any other units they would like to suggest that work very well? It seems I cannot get everything I want in one unit. I hoped for 4.0 megapixel for the camera and the DVD format for ease of use in sharing video's and photo's on a DVD but I have not found a unit that has these features AND has larger than a 10X optical zoom. It seems I have to sacrafice something and was wondering which of the performance features I like in a camcorder would be the easiest to live without. 1)Optical zoom 2)DVD or 3)megapixels. I'm just looking for some experienced opinions of the approaches you used when selecting your cameras and hoping to minimize the risk of having to buy another camera right away if I am unhappy with the performance. Thanks for any input all of you could offer.
THX
BB

Thanks TFinalshot, Ilooked at the specifications on this unit and it appears they are pretty much the same as the Sony unit. I cannot get an optical zoom greater than 10X and still get 4.0 magapixels for the still shots. I would like to get the best pictures I can get but I would also like to have a larger optical zoom to reduce the graininess of the photos. I guess I will have to wait a few more years for someone to make a video/stills camcorder that has both of these features. Do you know of people who own the Sanyo unit, I would like to know if the reliability of Sanyo is comparable to the reputation that Sony has on video equiptment.
THX
BB

I dont know anyone that owns one.

what unit does sony have that meets the same specs - size weight etc. . . . I did not know they had one on the market that's the same size and weight with a 10 optical zoom.

Thanks Desert Sheep, I really did learn quite a bit from that coomparison. I just have to decide what I am willing to sacrafice as far as performance and settle for the remainder. The optical zoom is probably more important than anything since there may be some distances involved with some of the animals. The format is not nearly as important but the DVD does sound interesting since you can pop the small disc in your DVD player and watch it on your TV. The down side is you need to format the disc with the camera prior to being able to view it and then it is locked out and you can no longer make additions to that disc. Mini DV' require transfering data to other formats or buying a mini DV player for $400-500. No easy decisions on this one.
TFinal shot, I was unclear that Sony has the same size. I was only talking about the features. The size is really not as important to me as the performance. The Sanyo does look interesting and the reports show it is a pretty good unit by comparison. I may need to wait a year or so since I am really looking for megapixel clarity and optical zoom of 20X or more in a mini DVD. Thanks to both of you for your advice
THX
BB

good idea to wait if you dont need it now. On the other hand, if you keep waiting for things to get better or improve, you'll be dead before you know it. . .

If you do find a unit with a 20x optical zoom, it better have a built in stabilizer! Even with a good stabilizer, you will need a very steady rest, or tripod for it! camera shake is one reasons for poor images regarless of the camera. . .

good luck, and be sure to let us know what you buy and how it works out for you .. .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom