Dillion Precision RL 550B

Q

Quail_Runner

Guys, I have a question - do any of you have this machine? I began reloading about 1 1/2 years ago with this machine, and generally love it. However, when loading rifle and using weights > 60grams, the measurements always come out uneven and are not consistant - but by as much as .5-.8 grams. To me this is unnexceptable, and I can't figure out why it does this. Has anyone ever seen this problem?

For example, I am reloading a .270 win with 54.9 grams, the spectrum generally stays between 54.85-54.95 However, my .300 win mag setting for 71.0 grams, comes out anywhere from 69.8-72.1 !!! Both are using the same powder. For now, I have to hand pour the charges. If I wanted to do this from the beginning, I would have purchased a different machine.

Any suggestions to correct this?

Quail Runner;
If you are using log type powders, such as 4350, 4831, you will have this problem with any powder measure. there is a trick to getting better results. Try tapping the powder measure prior to dumping the powder load and tap it again after the dump. When you do the tap, after the load dump, do it prior to the upswing of the handle in order to settle the powder prior to it dumping in too the powder chamber of the measure. you must set your powder measure up by using the tapping while weighting the thrown charges to get your final weight you are after. I use this to keep my variation down to a few tenths of a gram when loading for a rifle with log type powders. This will allow you to load ammo that will be very accurate. Also the Dillion 550 is one of the best, No! the best, progessive loader on the market in it's class. I have used it to load my match ammo and won many matches with the loads.
Good shooting;
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom