Disappointed - scouting unit21

LuckyHntr

Spent Saturday morning scouting Douglas pass in northeast direction. Beautiful morning, monsoons had rained night before, arrived before light, sun stayed behind some clouds so it stayed cool until later than usuall. Have done this trip many times before, but it had been a few years. Just didn't see the bucks, or the size of bucks that we are accustomed to. I wouldn't want to get a tag this year, maybe in 2/3 years?

Still emjoyable time, plenty green. The road is definately starting to deteriate, but is easily passible.

It was just one morning, but hopefully, the herd will continue to build up.

Not good news for me. This is once in a lifetime for me. Burn't my 8 pp for archery deer, am 65 yrs old. Bought otc elk and bear too. Want to shoot something! Will be there two weeks before the season, can spend a month there. Have all the maps. Will start at D. Pass for the first week at least. Then, to Baxter, or Sq S Ranch and Cathedral Buffs, or Colorado-Utah border. ??? Am I lost or what. Have done so much research from home, maps, phone calls and more phone calls. Any more advice from you will help now. Please advise.

Do not worry about it. One morning of scoutning does not mean crap. A person could have found that one group of 4 smokers and thought it was the best scouting ever. You will be fine. You will find plenty of deer and the issue will be breaking the 170 range as the age structure of the unit is currently dominated by bucks in the 4 year old range and not many over that. Find one over that and he will be good. Nothing special about the Utah border. Colorado has bigger bucks and better management of deer. Look for remotes holes, spend hours behind the scope and look over everything.

I was up on the 21/22 boarder earlier and found some decent bucks in the 160s range. Nothing huge but good bucks. Probably 12-15 in that rang e in just an hour of looking. The animals look halthy and the recent rains are keeping the vegetation looking good. I will hunt in 22 all season and see atleast one 180ish buck in that time hunting only weekends. If I had a full month in 21, I would be set. I will keep you posting on anything I find on the east boarder. If you are really looking at square s I would get over there before the Muzzy season. It gets real crowded. Or better yet go up there during the week days in the middle of the week. U will be all but completely alone... No doubt it holds some big bucks, just gets lots of pressure from some deer hunters and a lot of elk hunters.

elks96 Thank You! Am staying with the plan. Am looking forward. Been shootin' and xercisin' daily. Cleanin up the trailer, got great optics, got a lifer cook, got 17 days until we depart, and am lookin at the glass half full from your report!!!!

With the time you have that will make all the difference! I would rather have time than any other resource.

With two weeks time before season find a buck or bucks in an area that works for you. Try to get a pattern, where they day bed and where they may come to water. Not sure how spot and stalk works in this country? But you may be able to intercept them. Sometimes one guy can push to another guy, if you know what they are going to do. The old timers in the 60s/70s used to use tree stands (so many bucks this was possible) I have seen a couple, and also ambush at a water hole. You may try a water hole with a blind?

Also, make sure you have a BLM landowner map. That could benefit you as well. Some chunks of private or not hunted and you could hunt around them or get behind them.

You should have great time. I thought country looked good as well.

Keep us posted.

I would rather be lucky than good!

Thanks. Am watching this website daily for an unknown tip! I agree with your thoughts completely. Got a tree stand packed, with climbers and a ladder. Got a double bull blind packed, plus stools. And a new trail camera! Thru in two kitchen sinks as well!!! lol. Got the landowner gps maps. topo maps. Trying to make the most of a once in a lifetime for mulies in Colorado. Going to go and throw the wife in the trailer as chief cook and bottle washer, plus ! Think that affects the hunts? Read where Plains Indians before the hunt avoided the wampum wampum for fear of lose of manhood and stamina and endurance. ?? I leave in 15 days. Damn, this is some time of year! Good luck to you. Got to go work on preseason wampum wampum. :)

I was up there Friday and Saturday. Drove much of the unit. Saw a couple of little bucks was all. The low/mid country seemed pretty much devoid of deer, no tracks or sightings, and the area around Cathedral Bluffs looked good but no deer found. Saw more elk than deer.

Any tips on areas would be greatly appreciated. If you other hunters want to compare intel, let me know...

www.hunthardcore.com

So, you must have been on top of Cathedral Bluffs or east of Douglas pass?

Some days are better than others and I am not sure why. It must be heat and water availability. I assume you were up early on the sagebrush tops?

Cathedral Bluffs, late afternoon/evening. To be fair, we didn't get to the east side of Douglas until the sun had been up for a while. So, certainly the sky's not falling. However, we did spend a couple hours behind spotters and only located one buck. The area is thick, so it is hard to glass that high country. Thanks!

www.hunthardcore.com

The area is thick and takes a lot of time to glass and them bucks know where to hide to stay cool and concealed.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Yes, they tend to head for cover before sun is up much. They'll get into a day bed and sometimes just about disappear. Beds can be deep and used year after year. We watch them move and wouldn't know where they located if we hadn't caught them early. There is a lot of cover and I would be impressed if someone could put a successful stalk on.

Never have scouted in evening, always back home by then.

There is some good looking country in that area. There must be some bucks around.

Any reports from these hunters? I have the points for 21 archery deer and would like to burn them in the next couple years. Just curious how there hunts went.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom