Dislike's of SLC or Cabela's Euros

400bull

Very Active Member
I have been looking at upgrading my current binos to ether the Swarovski SLC, Swarovski EL, or the Cabela?s Euros. Without any question if I had the money saved up I would get the EL?s hands down. I'm afraid by the time I get the money saved up the current EL?s will be sold out and replaced with Swarovski?s new model (Swarovisions). I'm sorry I just can not justify putting $2500 into binos. So I'm down to the SLC or the Euros. Both are extremely nice optics and would serve me well. I know that everyone in the world has something good to say about ether of these two binos. In stead of asking which one you guys would go with because I know I could do a search to find that information. I want to know what you dislike about the Euro?s or the SLC. I don't care if it's form, fit, function, customer service, est.

Thanks

400bull

Look to buy a used set of EL's. I have 10x42 El's. I would love to sell them and get the new Swarovisions, but to be honest with you I am in the same boat...no way am I going to spend 25 hundred bones for some new goggles.

If I can't find em' and do what I need to do with a set of fantastic El's...I must be BLIND!

Same with my scope. I have an ATS65. It is not the newest and lightest swaro HD model, but by golly I finds me elk all over the mountain from 3-5 miles away. I don't need to spend another 25 hundred bones to upgrade.

A used set of El's has been found on KSL.com and a few other spots. The SLC 10x42 are a bit heavier, but i would save new for those. They are worth it. Not a whit behind the EL's except for weight.

I have had 2 friends who really liked the Calelas euros, but ended up taking them back with eyecup issues and ended up purchasing the Swarovski's anyways. They liked the glass. Just do it right the first time. If you want to though, Cabelas Lehi has a ton of the 10x42 Euros in the bargain cave...however, that tells me something...hope it does you too. The glass is great, (90% of a Swarovski)but fit and function issues are somewhat of a prob.

Good luck. I have never had any problems with my El's and they have had 4 years of abuse. A tad bit of grit in the eyecups but that was my fault for riding around on a 4 wheeler in all kinds of dirt. They still work at 100%. Customer service for products and additional winged eyecups has been spectacular.

If you are in the area, Utah, you can peer through my humble non HD EL's if you so desire and choose for yourself.

Porter

Put some EL's on layaway. Thats how I bought all of my swarovski optics.
The euro's in my opinion are a great binocular and Cabela's has a great reputation for honoring thier warranties. But if you can swing it then go for the EL's! fatrooster.

I was in the same boat a while ago you are in now. I went with the Euro's and was happy with them, for a while.. I thought they were great and was settled. This last deer season I spotted a buck on the ridge across from us that looked like it was bigger bodied than all the other deer on that ridge. I asked my partner to look at it because I couldn't see antlers but had a feeling I should. He looked at it and couldn't believe I couldn't see horns. I took a look through his swarovski 10x42's (my Euro's were the 12x50's) and was shocked. 1) how could I not see those antlers cuz was a nice buck and 2) I got to see the difference between the Euro's and the swaro's in the field when it mattered. Euro's are nice binos, but I would definitely put the extra few hundred into it and at least get the SLC's if possible. I literally went back to Cabela's when I got back into town and they took them back so I could buy the swaro's. Looking at the Euro's in the store, etc. I thought they were great, and don't get me wrong, they are. I would just go Swaro if it's an option for you. Just my expreience though.

Jaxon

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-10 AT 02:25AM (MST)[p]Keep your eye open for a deal on a Leica Ultravid HD or Zeiss Victory FLT-either will smoke the SLC or previous edition of the EL. The new EL is great because of a good combination of attributes. The primary being the flat edge to edge view. This does not mean it will be the brightest or sharpest bino avaliable. For example the Zeiss FLT is still the brightest bino avaliable at this time because of its patented slightly more efficient prism system. It also is industry leading sharp in its center of the FOV but lacks the full FOV sharpness of the Leica HD or Swarovision.

Decide which compromise you need to make-I like the Zeiss as you naturally focus on the center of the FOV when glassig anyway. The attributes of the Swarovision are not enough to make me switch. I have seen deals on demo Zeiss FLT's for $1500 (lifetime transferrable warranty).

The SLC is a great glass but heavy in 42mm (so is the Meopta). The SLC will do anything you need it to do. Comparing the SLC to the Meopta the SLC is built better, has better armoring, more neutral lens tint, and a much better diopter design. I would easily rate the SLC better than the meopta. The Meopta is similar to the older pre swarobright SLC in its optics.

But, to see a major difference from the meopta in brightness or sharpness you would need to jump past the SLC to the Ultravid HD ,Zeiss Victory FLT, Nikon EDG or the new EL.

The Euro is an excellent bino. Only you can decide if you need to spend 2 to 3 times more to pick up the additional 2 to 3% increase in optical clarity.

The comment of not being able to see a buck with the Euros but being able to see it with the Swaros is one of the more laughable ones I've seen posted in a while.

I was able to look through all of those alphas mentioned at the SCI/Reno Convention. The EDG blew me away. For $1300 on the samplelist.com they are an absolute steal.

>The comment of not being able
>to see a buck with
>the Euros but being able
>to see it with the
>Swaros is one of the
>more laughable ones I've seen
>posted in a while.

I agree. I'd suggest that poster consider a trip to the eye doctor rather than the optics store...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom