DIY 62-64-65 Elk Bow Hunt

NebrCatMan

Hi all, this is my first post on this site after reading other postings for the last several months. Finally registered! A co-worker and myself are planning a DIY over the counter bow hunt to Colo. this fall. We would like to also hunt bear if we are lucky enough to get a permit when they go on sale in the near future. We are thinking about areas 62-64-65 and after some research it mite work for us. I am looking for any input anyone has to offer about over the counter elk hunts and any areas someone would like to comment on. We are from SE Nebr and are looking to try something else besides Whitetails. I have hunted in Colo. area 55 and 54 before, but since the DOW made those areas draw we are looking to go west. We are going to use base camps, so I am researching alot more than elk numbers. Weather, average temps ( we plan on hunting the week after muzzleloader closes) roads, hunter pressure, meat locker stores, etc. I will devote hours to research in the next couple months. I can help out anybody looking for info on southeast Nebr.. Thanks all for your time. Any info appreciated .

It can be a tough hunt. I have lived in the area for 3 years and archery hunted elk every year. It is a large area and lots of country. There are quite a few elk in there but I have not killed one yet. I have had chances at cows but bulls are a different story. There are tons of hunters in 62; as well as quite a few roads and trails, not as many in 65. 65 is very steep rugged country. Hope this helps.

Fuzzy

Hey thanks for the info. Will probably focus pretty much on 62 unless something changes. 65 mite be a little harder for a 54 year old(my age, even though I am pretty fit and am working out it just ain't as easy as it was 15 years ago) to crawl around in. And I think 64 has a lot of private land in it..........more than 62 or 65. I would glady take a cow, as I realize there are not the monster bulls every where the tv shows would have ya believe. I learned long ago just to enjoy the time spent hunting and camping outdoors. There are many hunts that are some of my favorites for whatever reasons , I did not fill my tag or take even a shot. Will keep researching about 62 and 65 so thanks again for your time. Do you know about the bears there. If I could get a permit ,should I? And is the weather usually warm the 20th of Sept? Thanks again!!

62 is filthy with bears. You will probably see more bear than elk. That being said there are a ##### load of elk in 62. Try the headwaters of Keith and Rose creeks. Good luck.

There are a ton of bears but I believe its a draw and can be difficult to get a tag. The weather is warm in the days and cool at nights but pretty comfortable. Its the best time of the year in my opinion. Just go down the canyons and find water and you should find elk close by.

Hey thanks a bunch ColoradoRam and fuzzyvelvet. I found Kieth and Rose creeks on my BLM map. They are in one of my circles I drew on my map of areas in unit 62 that I was going to research more. That area is looking promising. Looks like we can come in from the west off divide road. Hopefully find a good place to camp not to far from a water source. Is there some water high or only in the very bottoms of the canyons? As far as maps go of these areas are the BLM and USGS maps the ones to use or is there other maps for sale by some private company out there in Colorado of the GMUs. And this unit is a over the counter with caps for bear. They go on sale starting July 12th.What is the best way to buy a license( online or by phone......phone usually busy ?) I am really looking foward to coming to Colorado again, just dreaming of the campfire and stars shining. Checked the moon for that week and it is going to be last quarter heading to a dark moon. Don't know what that means to the elk or bears but should provide some great looking skies at nite. More research to do. Thanks again!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom