DIY Combo hunt in The Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness Area

Flatlander000

I’m planning on going on a DIY combo hunt in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness Area soon in the next year or so, and I was wondering if there was any trailheads or places on the GPS that would be good for Elk, Muley’s, Bear, or Wolf? I will most likely be packing in and staying to 10-14 days in late October early November, is there any places to be into at that time of year for any big game? And what are the best strategies to hunt the Elk and Muley’s in there? And I know I may sound crazy, because form what I’ve been reading in different threads is that, the Elk and deer have gotten decimated in there from the wolves, but I would just like some tips on places to be, and how to hunt the Elk and Muley’s primarily but advice on wolves and bears would be greatly appreciated also! Thank you for your time!

Great 1st post! Might as well swing for the fences asking for GPS coordinates! The only real advice you're likely to get is this: it's steeper than anything you have likely encountered, when you think it can't possibly get worse, it will. You could run into any of the big game on your list, but you probably won't. The weather in there is super unpredictable, it could be 65 degrees or 10 below with 2 feet of snow, you might die and you might not.

Great 1st post! Might as well swing for the fences asking for GPS coordinates! The only real advice you're likely to get is this: it's steeper than anything you have likely encountered, when you think it can't possibly get worse, it will. You could run into any of the big game on your list, but you probably won't. The weather in there is super unpredictable, it could be 65 degrees or 10 below with 2 feet of snow, you might die and you might not.
Hahahaha, thank you for the feedback! Yes I have heard it gets pretty treacherous as far as packing in. More about the experience than the trophy in my opinion.

It’s BIG country with very sparse concentrations of game animals. Glass like crazy and move to the next basin. Repeat. Hunting it on foot is daunting. Guys with stock are capable of covering country more efficiently. It’s beautiful, rugged country.

It’s BIG country with very sparse concentrations of game animals. Glass like crazy and move to the next basin. Repeat. Hunting it on foot is daunting. Guys with stock are capable of covering country more efficiently. It’s beautiful, rugged country.
Thank you for the feedback! We have trail horses, but are in lack of pack horses/mules, but that’s what everyone tells me just glass country and keep covering more country. So we will be prepared to hike for sure! ;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom