DIY Trophy Whitey?

K

ktc

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-07 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]Guys,

Me, WARBIRDUM, and SaddleSore would like to kill some giant whiteys. I have killed quite a few of them in Idaho and 140 was probably the best one. We would like some mass, lots of points, like 5+ a side, and some width! Good eyeguards also! Ha! My first thought is Cananda, but that gets spendy. Any suggestions for a DIY trespass situation? I realize bucks like I am talking are no gimme, but would like to hunt somewhere where a guy has a chance and could go back a few times until the job was done. Public land could work, but private seems like better odds of getting something big. What states do you guys think? Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Wyoming, Colorado, Texas? Is Cananda just the best option out there? Can you hunt Cananda with a resident or do they need to be a guide? I am not against guides, and maybe I would need one, but I truly would give up some inches for DIY. It is just how I was made I guess?

This is rifle only.

This is not for this year, but it is something we have talked about. No trophy room is complete without a great whitetail. I can sure tell my age, back, and desires to hunt are running out!

Thanks. I will try to check back often since I do not hit the Whitey forum much!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-07 AT 10:20AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-07 AT 10:19?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-07 AT 10:13?AM (MST)

Hey KTC,

Seems several western MM old timers are looking at WT?s now. I've started to pull the stats for the draws in states close to Utah.

For rifle non-res don't count out ND, with herds at an all time high and overall 75% harvest rate, plus walk on land, you should be able to draw a good tag in under 4 years. I can't seem to find the odds per draw area ? still looking.

As I understand it all of Canada requires a guide unless you are family.

I'd be glad to share any stats I compile as I move down this quest for a 150+ buck.

Here is a site for general WT distribution:
http://www.deerhunting.ws/densitymap.htm

Also, a quality lease for 2 or 3 years is a good way to kill some monster WT?s. Gets you past the draws and into states like TX that's 90% private. So, if anyone has quality land for lease that's producing 150+ bucks opening soon, let us know, I'm sure we can put together a group of hunters that will fill each hunt (bow / rifle / ML)

[email protected]

definately go with the upper midwest, and don't forget Minnesota, wisconsin and the Michigan U.P. There is lots of public land up there in all 3 states, yes there is hunting pressure but if you use that to your advantage you should be successful. To go along with monster bucks that you are descibing.

Mntman (homestate is Minnesota)

Thanks guys. I have looked at the link also. Good info. Thanks.

GHOST,

Thanks for the pm. Definitely a thought to consider. I will keep your pm as this progresses. Kind of spendy, but not really when you think about it.

Keep the ideas coming please.

elknut,

Thanks. In Canada, is your brother in laws, wife's dad family? :) That is my connection. I think he is a judge too!

I will keep my eyes pealed if I hear of any opportunities down my way. I have some friends that have leased farms in Kansas and had great success on some real whoppers.

Thanks TK. That is also interesting? Talked with a guy in a PM about leases. Sounds like a good way to go maybe?

One cheap option would be public land on montana. it might not have the potential of the midwest but im guessing is alot closer for you. the seeley-swan has gobs of whiteys and the jocko lakes fire is going to be absolutely crawling with them in the next few years. probably wont run into any booners, but youd have a real good shot at some 130-145 inch deer.

ktc,
I hunt Kansas every year and there are a lot of good bucks around. 150+ is very doable. I can get you some names of people to talk to. If you're looking for big whitetail bucks, Kansas or Iowa is the place I would start looking.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Go to the B&C website and look at the whitetail distribution map they have for entries in B&C. You may be surprised at where the biggies are coming from in the west.

Thanks guys. I forgot about whiteys during muley season here!:)

All good information and I appreciate the responses!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom