DIY white tail hunt?

RidgeRebel

I am already starting to plan next year. Question for you guys that like to chase white tails. Where is the best state for a DIY public land hunt?

I will be going to Kansas with my daughter in about a week and a half. Ask me when I get back. It's my first time after whitetails.

been hunting Nebraska for about 5 years now great place and some good public land swill be heading out next friday for 5 days will let you know what we find .killed my biggest buck last year

Utah, Nevada, and maybe California are the only states WITHOUT whitetails (if you count Coues), so just do some research and pick a state. I've never hunted whitetails, but saw many of them while hunting elk on the Blue Mountains in the southwest corner of Washington.

It helps to know where you live, and also what kind of Whitey you would settle for. The western whitetails in Wyoming, Idaho, etc. that you can get a tag for are generally lower trophy quality than the those hanging in midwest . That being said there are opportunities to hunt them pretty much every year in those western states if you know where to apply. Montana is also a great whitey hide-out in the west. Sometimes you need to pay a trespass fee because they mostly live on private land, but most are relatively reasonable.
Texas...all sorts of options further east.
Best of luck

I live in Utah and would be happy with a decent representation of the species where ever I hunt them. The hunt would need to cost around $2000.00 total.

In no particular order. Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana. My personal preference would be Iowa but there is limited public and the public I would hunt has difficult access. If you wanna get serious about Iowa then shoot me a PM and I'll get you the details. BTW Iowa will take a few points to hunt.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Kansas has alot of walkin hunting land that the state leases from the land owner. Go online look at the walkin hunting map to see where there is alot of it.You might be able to find some private also.There has been some dandy bucks killed on some of the walkin land.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom