Do Moose Push out Elk?

dnewman5

I am hunting an area that has seen good elk traffic in prior years, however for the last month I have not seen the herds. In their place, I am seeing three moose who visit my cameras daily. Elk tend to range far, but moose are very territorial and tend to stay in favorite spots. Both elk and moose are apex animals, but does anyone know if moose drive off elk from desirable wallows and drinking springs?

I also wonder if moose drive off other predators like cougars and therefore may be beneficial to the area since they are not afraid of humans and their presence may make other ungulates lower their guard regarding possible human presence.

All theories at this point - I just hope to explain the missing elk this year!

I doubt it. I have seen elk and moose water at the same time at a smaller water hole. Three moose isn't going to change elk behavior in an area IMO.

I was within site of some cow elk last September in southern Idaho when out of nowhere a cow moose came running by me being chased by a small bull moose. There were actually quite a few moose in that area. Earlier that same morning in the dark I had one behind me/following me grunting the entire time. LOL.

I don't think they bother the elk at all.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I hunt, therefore I am. Harvest the land. Taking of the fallen
lamb.

Last Sunday I had a moose and her calf in a wallow I wanted to hunt. After some convincing I got her and her calf to move on. An hour later the elk came in to water at their usual time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom