Do you keep your muzzleloader loaded at night?

elkmanchad

Well, here's another question from a first time blackpowder hunter.

For reference, I'm shooting a triumph, with 777, and powerbelts.

At the end of the day, what do you do with your muzzleloader? Can you just take the primer out, and leave the powder and bullet until the following morning? Or, do you need to unload everything? If so, how do you do it? Taking the breech plug out? Use a bullet puller? Of course I would unload the firearm prior to leaving for home.

Thanks for the help.

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]I leave it loaded over the entire hunt unless its been really rainy / humid. I put a piece of wax paper over the nipple and lower the hammer onto it when I bring it home for the night.

Some people believe the powder can wick moisture and cause a hang-fire but I ran an experiement once with an old hawkin barrel. I loaded it up, left the nipple completely uncovered and stuck it in a corner... for 6 months. At the end of that time I took it to the range and it immediately fired with no discernable delay.

/shrug

If you really want to unload each night, look into the CO2 dischargers that fit over the nipple. They push out the ball / powder with no mess and no re-cleaning required.

-DallanC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom