Do you use 15's?

TipMOver

Anyone here using 15's for bino's? Which ones?
Which brand are you using?

Swarovski?
Leica?
Zeiss?
Minox?
Docter?
Vortex?
Other?

Interested to find out which you're using if you are using 15's. Not looking to argue about brands, etc.

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-11 AT 00:44AM (MST)[p]I don't use 'em...they're too pork, and superfluous to a 10x type bino/variable power spotter combo

Have looked through a few of em in the field...

I'll just check off the SLC, as I pretty much hate 'Ski glass, though the 15's were somewhat more comfortable to my eyes than any of their spotters or lower power SLCs or ELs, but not comfortable enough for any serious glassing time

Really love the Docter porros, and have good reliable beta that the old Zeiss-Jena BGAT version is even better, but have never had the luck of having the chance to use one

The older Vortex Kaibab is quite nice, and used to be a great value if you could find a 'deal'...not so sure about either anymore

The Duovid 10-15 were optically excellent the one time I had the opportunity to give it a brief run, ain't too convinced on the durability, given the relative fragility of any 'switch' mechanism (have a horror story that goes along with that, but will let the former Duovid owner post it here if he so chooses)....another buddy is ordering a new one off pro form, will post a review after I get a chance to give it a good trial

haven't used any others worth mentioning

Anyway, for all practical purposes, I find the 15s to be too much (weight/bulk) and too little (power) for the way I hunt...I suppose if you only relied on one optic, and I have good friends that do, a good pair of 15s would fill that role quite nicely

Cheers'

I have swaros SLC and absolutly love them,yeah the are a little heavy but they are worth every ounce.I'll spot bulls easier and faster than my buddies sitting next to me with their spotting scopes,especially if they moving through the junipers and you only getting short glimpses of them.

I have a pair of Leica 10x42's and Swaro SLC 15's and I use the 15's 80% of the time--absolutely love them. I use my 10x42's for bowhunting mainly and my 15's for everything else. 15's on a tripod is a nasty combo!

I carry a pair of SLC 10x42s on my neck for quick glassing and break out the SLC 15x for long glassing sessions. They are hard to beat. I can't look through a spotting scope for prolonged periods of time.

I feel that a quality pair of 10 power bino's is almost as good as the 15's and makes more sense if you also have a spotter. fatrooster.

I have and use SLC 15's and feel there is NO better tool for finding deer/elk. First, they are comfortable and clear. Maybe there is clearer, but the degree of better could only be minute. I also have sware 8x's and 65 HD spotter. What I do is use the 15's only if I have a mile or more to glass and can glass close to roads/horses. If I am backpacking, then I use the spotter/8x's, but it is much more tedious. The problem with relying on the spotter is the atmospheric conditions are more pronounced. Of course, I live in Idaho and the big country here just loves big eye binos.

I have a pare of 10X42 EL's as well as a pare of 15X56 SLC's. They are both great and have there place for sure. If I am backpacking and bow hunting the 15's stay home. I carry a spotter with me at all times and use the spotter in conjunction with my glass. If I am not back pack hunting then the 15X go with me everywhere. I love them! I became a believer in big eye binos when I was hunting with a guy who was glassing with 15X off of a tri-pod and he was picking out game everywhere that I literally could not even see with my 10X no matter how hard i tried. I came home from that trip and bought my 15X56's and have loved them! Put those bad boys on a tri-pod and you will have a whole new experience hunting. So?..the answer is you need a pair of 10X, 15X and a good spotter! Hope that helps.

Fever

Had Swarovski 15's for years and love them. Use they are heavy and yes it is worth packing every ounce. I have a pair of 10's as well and they are great just depends on the situation and the hunt.

Have Swarovski 15s and also love them. Heavy yes but they makeup for that with what they do for you. Distance, clarity, and eveything about them gives you advantages.

Used to use Doctor 15's loved them. Now use Leica Duovid 10+15. Love them more, can use 10x handheld and 15x on the tripod. For me the best combo available. Always carry big spotter also. For not too far from truck Doctor 20-50x Big Eyes are incredable! Have borrowed Zeiss 20x stabalized binos which are awesome but have durablity problems. They always fix them but it takes alot of time that you do not have them.

In 1989 I went to Alaska and was fortunate enough to take good specimens of Dall Sheep, Caribou and Moose. My guide on that trip used a pair of 15x binocs rather than a spotter. Can't even remember the make but they were european. They really impressed me how much better they were than a spotter for sitting long periods and glassing for game.

In 1998 I drew the Potash Unit in Ut for Desert Bighorn and shot a nice ram. And although I owned a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x spotting scope, decided to get a pair of 16X50 Pentax binocs. I would sit and grid a mountain for hours and suddeningly you'd spot sheep. There was no way you could spend that much time behind a spotter without getting cheek fatigue.

Since then, I have used them each year when hunting deer, antelope, elk or just scouting. I love my 10x42 Leica's for general hunting but for sit and spotting, I use the 16's.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom