Do you use 15's?

TipMOver

Anyone here using 15's for bino's? Which ones?

Which brand are you using?

Swarovski?
Leica?
Zeiss?
Minox?
Docter?
Vortex?
Other?

Interested to find out which you're using if you are using 15's. Not looking to argue about brands, etc.

Thanks!

With a name like maddglasser, what would you expect? Surgens are all Docters! LOL
You have seen them Dave, 30+ year old Docters, and they work, need a bino cover though!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-11 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]Yeah Trav, you're a friggin surgeon with them Docters brutha......dayum, are they that old???

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-11 AT 02:57PM (MST)[p]Ha! Trav...classic :)

ya Tip, 'Glasser and Mesquite are the guys I was referring to on your other thread in Optics...and despite his modesty, ASB ain't no shabby intern either!!

Cheers'

Yeah GW, I figured that was who you were yapping about. I've shared a few mountain tops with all 3 of 'em. I've got a lot to learn!

Dave:

15 X 56 Leicas cause of the rangefinder feature and premium glass too boot!

I carry these on my neck and use off of both an Outdoorsman Tripod and the heavy duty Monfrotto when weight isn't an issue,

Just like the Cabelas VISA, never leave home without them!

Don Martin
AWO

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-11 AT 05:08PM (MST)[p]Ha! ya Tip, i could think of a lot worse company anyway...and I'm sure them boys can tell ya that my opinion don't count, cause I can't see NOTHIN besides! :)

Why the poll Big Wave? Oops, I mean Tip. We also know you can give a lesson or two behind your Swaro's...I know that first hand!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-11 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Haha Dinomite!

I've got the hammer, skillsaw, welder, and a roll of duct tape out and I'm building something.

Thanks for all of the replies guys! Keep 'em coming!!

I carry 15x swaros in my pack and use them on my slik CF tripod with jim white head. I like them a lot, but no substitute for my swaro spotting scope when i really need to pick an animal apart. I find stuff faster and easier on the eyes, but we are always pulling out the scope once I do. I have my hunting buddy carry the spotter. I wear swaro 10x on my neck. never have too much glass, besides carrying all that sh#* keeps me lean and mean.

Don

Finished Med school a long time ago........Swarovski 15's on a tripod are hard to beat.

I have the 10x42 Swarovski's around the neck and the 15x56 Swarovski on a tripod with the Jim white adapter and the outdoorsman pistal grip. I also have the 20x60x80 Swarovski spotting scope. This is my hunting combo!!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-11 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Yes and No.

NO. I use Swarovski 8x56 around my neck. They are the same size and weight as the 15's but the advantage of the 8x56 is that I can glass while it's still dark, they can't be beat for glassing in low light (7 mm exit pupil) and we all know that's when biggame is making their move to their beds.
I carry them with a bino harness and when I stop for a quick look, I rest them on top of a mono-pod / trekking pole.

YES. When I stop to do some serious glassing, I mount them on a manfrotto bogen tripod, or a cheaper lightweight tripod if I'm backpacking in. I glass for game with these 8's but when I spot something that deserves a closer look, I attach the doubler and now I'm looking through a 16x56. I've looked through 15's set up next to my 16 and it is the same. A note about the doubler; Don't bother to buy one for anything other than an 8x56 because they will be too dark. Example; attached to a 10x42 you will have a 20x42 with an exit pupil of 2.1 mm but with a an 8x56 = 16x56 you get an exit pupil of 3.5 mm and that's almost the same as the 15x56 that has an exit pupil of 3.7 mm.

I've got the Vortex Kiababs. Good glass does help but what helps more is site recognition. I've seen folks with the best money has to offer and still have a hard time finding game.

I use my swaro 10x42 around my neck when I'm on a stalk.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-11 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p] I use my 10x42 Swaro's for stalking and my 15x56's swaro's for glassing. I use a velbon tripod with an outdoorsman pistol head with the jim white panning attachment..

Stiener porros... quirky with the IF and the eye cups I discarded, glass is good and I'm used to them after all these years.

Kent

For the last 15 + yrs i've used pentax 16x50's - for the money the are a good glass- never had any problem with them -
I recently picked up a pair of olded Docters- 15x60's

in one word AWESUME

i got them a real good low price and was gonna resell to make some $$$ till i used them in the field . though bulky and a little heavier - they will NEVER be sold - on a tripod these really made glassing enjoyable agin -

nice to see things i never saw before and much clearer - lol- MM

Swaro 10s on my neck.... swaro 15s in my pack and a swaro spotter as well...

I have the first generation doctor 15s as well. They need some work.. anyone know where to send them for repair?

Nonet- Mountain Optics in Montana can fix you up. http://www.mountainoptics.com/

He did some work for us in the past and is very reasonable and does good work. He also has a pretty fast turn around.

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

I just got my 15s the other day, I am stoked to get them out in the field. I have a question for you guys, what have you found to be the right balance between a heavy enough tripod for the 15s and one that you can carry all day?

aka,

I use a Slik Sprint Pro and its a great tripod for sitting. Plenty stable and adjustable but when its extended to full, standing height, its a little on the flimsy side.
I'm going to pick up a Manfrotto CXPro carbon tripod before this fall.

I have swaro 10 and 15's, with an hd spotter.
But I like to use my leica duovids 10 or 15x.. I also have a pair of 10x ultravid hd binos that I am thinking of selling, they are still new in box. KOWAS arent too bad either. Gotta have something for everything right. What would we all do without our binos!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom