Dodge "death wobble"

scpaisley

Anyone ever have the death wobble happen with their Dodge? My father in law has a '07 2500 diesel and just started having this issue. You could be driving down the road without issue, hit a bump and bam the thing starts shaking like crazy and the front wheels look like they are about to fly off. Apparently this an issue with a lot of Dodges according to the google search results. Sadly, he's replaced the bushings, tie rod ends, steering box (Dodge called this a wear item), and the stabilizer bars in the front. So we're at a loss at what else it might be.

"Some days its just not worth chewing through the restraints"

i know a few guys that had this issue, and they went with an adjustable track bar and seemed to help quite a bit, also theres the option of going with the 09 steering and front end components...but I think the adjustable track bar is the way to go...

[Font][Font color = "green"]
Life member of the MM green signature
club.[font/]

I forgot to mention that, he bought an aftermarket system for the front end when he first got the truck a couple years ago. It doesn't appear to be causing any problems either. Dodge dealership is at a loss along with a local mechanic.

Definately check the Track Bar for Slop!

Does the Truck have a Lift Kit & Bigger Tires?

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

No lift kit, a leveling kit was installed like 2-3yrs ago. Doesn't seem to be any slop at any point right now, all the bushings, ends, joints, have been replaced including the steering box and arm.

A guy I work with had an 07 Mega-Cab with the problem. Seems nobody could fix it, so he sold it. But then he bought a 2010 Dodge. Some guys never learn. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 03:05PM (MST)[p]There are several things that can cause it!

Had A Chevy that would do it & never could figure out why?

That was back when Chevy's had solid bar front ends!

EDITED before CUPSY corrected my Grammar!:D

Seen the same video, done did it, even replaced all the bolts in the front end, some showed wear. I'm trying to talk him into trading it in for a new F-150 Ecoboost.

My '03 2500 just started doing the same thing. Scary shiznut if the speeds are up. I was going to replace the whole thing then a buddy of a buddy said to just replace the track bar bushings and the steering dampener. $45 sounds better than $275. Whatcha think Bess?

have an alignment done and increase the caster angle. the upper balljoint should sit behind the lower one. the leveling kit moves the upper balljoint forward and it needs to be moved back.

fords with a straight axle and coil springs have the same problem.

STRAGE THING YOU BROUGHT THIS UP, JUST LAST WEEKEND SITTING AT CAMP A GOOD BUD OF MINE PULLS UP IN HIS 2011 DODGE NICE P.U. HE STARTS TALKING ABOUT THE WOBBLE HE HAS IN THE FRONT END, HELL IT ONLY HAS 15,000 MILES ON IT TRIED NEW TIRES BEEN TO THE DEALER, THEY PUT A BUNCH OF NEW SH!T ON IT AND IT HELPED...... IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THEY HAVE A PROBLEM IF YOU GUYS WITH EARLIER MODELS ARE HAVING THE SAME.............+1 ON SELL IT..RAS

>My '03 2500 just started doing
>the same thing. Scary
>shiznut if the speeds are
>up. I was going
>to replace the whole thing
>then a buddy of a
>buddy said to just replace
>the track bar bushings and
>the steering dampener. $45
>sounds better than $275.
>Whatcha think Bess?

Yes zekers!

If you can Buy just the Bushings & Top Quality Bushings it'll be as good or maybe even better than a Brand New Track Bar!

Haven't had any issues with Death Wobble within the Family on any Dodges but I hear the Newer Dodges are more common with it!

They gotta keep Screwin with stuff!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-12 AT 09:23?PM (MST)

Was a mechanic for many years when I was younger for my father's business. I had the same exact problem last summer when I was out going scouting, happened on the freeway and thought I was going to die. Called up my father and he said "replace the sway bar shock on the front." Replaced the sway bar shock and it was fixed. Lots of people even the Dodge dealer will say "nah, that won't fix it." Yes, it will. Speaking from experience. I've heard of shops and dealers throwing everything at a truck to fix a death wobble but that shock and it was never fixed. Everyone that I've talked to that replaced that shock got fixed. I believe it's called the 'stabilizer' shock but don't quote me on that. It's been 15 years since I was in the business and my mechanic's vocabulary sucks now days. They do have a lot problems with that shock. Jeeps and Dodge's alike. I wouldn't buy another shock from the dealer either. Go to a local parts store.

Well riflescope!

Although I do agree that shock can help,it's not always the fix!

Fab-Tech & a few others make a Heavy Duty Double Shock!

Doesn't always fix the Problem though!

Had a 08 and the same problem they changed the all tie rods shocks, pitman arms everything, my problem ended up being the stock wheels, seems they don't take to well with bigger tires.

You just need to install one of these on your front grill. Not only will the 'wobble' go away, you'll get about 5-8 more mpg.

fordlogo2003.jpg

Good to know STTM. Sounds like Dodge needs to invest some time and figure out why it's happening. Nothing worse then driving down the freeway at 75 mph and have the death wobble hit you.

Ya!

That Chevy I had that did it was flat out Scary!

I think there is many Causes for it!

Bad part is it can be Damn Spendy trying to Cure it!

I own a 96 and an 07. Have 100g on the 07 and have not had any problem with the death wobble. However, my 06 has over 260g on it and I learned a long time ago to replace the track bar at about every 50g. Kragen/Orielly carries a brand (If I remember correct, moak?) that has a lifetime replacement warranty. It is the heaviest duty track bar I have found but they still fail. The first time I experienced the wobble I thought I was a dead man! Felt like the truck was going to come apart. Came close to having to replace the driver's seat as my ass grabbed it so hard it dang near ripped when I attempted to stumble out of the cab!.

Norkal

"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!"

My brother had this happen with 2 different dodges. He ended up doing the entire front end on both trucks and had to buy new tires on the first one and that fixed the problem. The 2nd one nevr got better so he sold it.

>I own a 96 and an
>07. Have 100g on
>the 07 and have not
>had any problem with the
>death wobble. However, my
>06 has over 260g on
>it and I learned a
>long time ago to replace
>the track bar at about
>every 50g. Kragen/Orielly carries
>a brand (If I remember
>correct, moak?) that has a
>lifetime replacement warranty. It
>is the heaviest duty track
>bar I have found but
>they still fail. The
>first time I experienced the
>wobble I thought I was
>a dead man! Felt
>like the truck was going
>to come apart. Came
>close to having to replace
>the driver's seat as my
>ass grabbed it so hard
>it dang near ripped when
>I attempted to stumble out
>of the cab!.
>
>Norkal
>
>
>"INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES
>AHEAD!"

Norkal!

I'll bet you're trying to say MOOG?

I find it hard to fathom $30-$50K vehicles having the death wobble.

We're not talking about some little factory defect here, this could be deadly serious business yet many here seem to take it as a given and then pay extra coin to try and fix what should have never been in the first place. I don't care how many horses them Dodges can pull, don't believe i'll ever own one.

I drove one wobbler vehicle in my life. It was a very old scout that us kids drove sometimes while hunting on the ranch long before any of us had a drivers license. Wasn't too serious a issue though as we never got that old rig up above about 30 mph.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

There will always be a Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy thing, with each having their own faults. I had an F250 PowerStroke before this Dodge. I loved the power, but had to replace just about every sensor, glow plug, tranny, etc with it. Nothing like driving along and thinking I ran out of diesel when really the Camshaft sensor just sh!t the bed. I now have the dodge with 205,000 miles and it just started having this issue. It gobbles up U-joints, brakes, and heater cores, but has been a decent truck for the abuse it takes. Hopefully today after I install the track bar bushings, the Death Wobble goes away.
I wish Jeep would start making full size pickups again.

Had it with my 95 Diesel, it was really bad for a while. Replaced the front steering stabilizer shock and it was good for about 10k miles then started doing it again, but not as bad. Replaced both front shocks and it only did it once over the next 40k miles. Sold the truck but plan to get another, newer one in a couple years, good to know I can look forward to this issue again.

Any vehicle with a solid front axle may get it. It can be caused by alot of things... The only one I know of that want mentioned is a coil spring that is cracked our broken or a leveling kit puck that is cracked.. Check them very close with a flashlight. That would be my next step in figuring this problem out....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

My 03 3500 had it and I replaced ball joints, front bearings and steering box because it was cracked. Didn't do a thing. I replaced some oversized BFG's and the problem went away. It seems like there are a lot of things that make it stop but I wonder what the real culprit is.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-12 AT 02:07AM (MST)[p]>You just need to install one
>of these on your front
>grill. Not only will
>the 'wobble' go away, you'll
>get about 5-8 more mpg.
>
>

>
fordlogo2003.jpg

I got an 06' F-250 that has the death wobble... It's had it since about 50,000 miles (got 133,000 on the POS now)

I have replaced everything on the front end once and half of it a second time..It has been to the shop for the problem at least 30 times and they don't know how to fix it... It's a bad design..My truck gets it so bad you would swear that the front end is gonna fall out...Happens at about 40 mpg after turning and or hitting a small bump.. and will continue to shake unless you slow down or speed up.. Only thing I found that helps is to keep the tires new..for some reason once they get down to about 30% tread or less the wobble comes back...

My advice: Cut you're losses and buy a chevy... I've had more bad luck with my POS FORD to know I'll never own another unless it's an older model with the 7.3L...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

My stock '06 2500 longbed did that to me with barely 20k on it.............at 65 if felt as if I had suddenly entered a "test track" with alternating speed bumps or like I had just suddenly replaced my front radials with square wooden covered-wagon wheels. Scary to say the least. Had to basically come to a complete stop to end the "reaction" in the front end.....then it drove along just fine until I would hit just the wrong bump or pothole at just the wrong speed. Best way to fix it is just what I did.............sell it. I will never buy another dodge....ever.

i had a '97 that did the Death wobble, i rebuilt the whole front end and it ended up being wheel bearings. so i sold the piece of shi* and bought a chevy and havnt looked back since.

"Shoot Straight"

>Seen the same video, done did
>it, even replaced all the
>bolts in the front end,
>some showed wear. I'm trying
>to talk him into trading
>it in for a new
>F-150 Ecoboost.
>
>"Some days its just not worth
>chewing through the restraints"

Thats like going from bad to worse.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-12 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]I guess all Dodges are POS' so you all should sell them to me cheap so i can fix them and drive the hell out of them!

My family has 5 Dodge 2500's with solid axles a 98, 06, two 07's, and an 08. The 98 is the only gas engine the rest are Cummins powered. They have a combined 585,000 miles on them. The 98 did the death wobble once a few years but a new track bar fixed that. The others have all been awesome trucks once the dang DPF's went away. I have a buddy that got the wobble the other day in his but hasnt started to fix it yet, so we dont have any suggestions. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon though.

All brands have their POS'!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom