Dodge truck rebuild

conch

I'm fixing up an old 1977 dodge 100 full time 4x4. What type of oil shuld be in the tranfer case? It seems as ATF was the specific type lube. I just can't remember and have no manual. Also, any of you Mopar fans know where I could land an owners manual for this truck?
One other question. What does it take to switch out to part time 4x4 other than the obvious manual hub addition?

Save the windshield wipers and swap out everything else for a Chevy :)

Hey Conch, sorry for the wise crack. Good luck on your build!

Joey

I built a plow truck out of a 76 m880 (military version of the w200). Great working beast. They ran all sorts of oils in those transfer cases. From ATF, to 10w 40, to 90 weight. If you have full time four wheel drive you have the NP203 transfer case. It calls for SAE 10W30 engine oil.

Your local auto parts store should be able to get you a Haynes manual for the beast or you can find it on line.

That transfer case has a clutch system similar to a differential built in, allowing for differences in speed from front to rear axle. A plus in a full time four wheel drive. Mile marker used to make a conversion kit so that you could go to 2wd when desired (with hubs). I'd recommend you leave it alone. They are great running full time 4wd trucks that do well on asphalt, in rough terrain, and everything in between. If you're thinking you'll save on gas, you can probably save more mileage by adjusting your driving style to a more conservative bent. From what I've picked up from those who've done the conversion, they gained a mile or two per gallon.

There are a ton of dodge truck forums out there, but one of the best I've found is: [http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5]

I own a Chevy for family vacations. That's about all she's good for. No off roading and now I feel as though I support "public transportation." LOL!
Oh, I also own a Chevy dump runner. That's all she's good for...
I would take a Cummins if anyone is giving.

mmwb,
Thanks for the helpful information. I think your thoughts on changing out the full time is correct. I've had this truck for years and it is a work horse. I'm cleaning it up for my teenage son to use. The web site you sugested will be very helpful.
I asked about the oil in the transfer case because a couple of years ago or about one hundred miles of travel (LOL) I had the transfer case overhauled. Now, it blows oil out the breather tube. It smells of 90 weight. I think it has the wrong oil put back in from the shop. What do you think?

I had a Suburban once that I put the Mile Marker conversion in. I really doubt I ever saved enough gas to offset the cost of the kit and my time putting it in. Those Dodges are pretty good old workhorses. 360 or 318?

I'd drain it out and put the correct oil in. Even if it isn't the wrong fluid, the cost of a few quarts of oil and a little labor is a fair trade for a piece of mind.

One thing that people ran into with the conversion kits is that when driven in 2wd, it doesn't properly lubricate the bearing on the output shaft. If one doesn't put it into 4wd periodically, it will prematurely ruin the bearing.

Mine had a 318 in it when I bought it. For most applications it is enough. I believe that 318 was the longest single production engine. Something like 40 years. I put a 360 in mine just because I push snow with it and wanted the extra torque.

On some Dodges & most Chevy's they found out the first full time transfer cases had way too heavy of a drive chain & the 85-90 weight oil was way too heavy & caused the chain to stretch rapidly.
Later they went to lighter chains & lighter weight oils,ATF in most cases & could run them 10 times as long with little trouble.
As stated above,transfer cases need to be pulled in once in a while to keep everything lubed.
I myself liked the older manual lock in hubs & manual shifter in the cab,but as people have got lazier in recent years its all turn a switch,for 50K+ you can have these luxuries,too bad they ain't as reliable as the older ways.

I bet ATF....
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom