Doe/Fawn Antelope Tag Question

WITUfan

In a unit that does not typically have leftover doe/fawn tags, do all applicants receive one tag before others receive two? Basically, I am wondering if there is any reason to apply for more than one doe/fawn tag in that area.

For the record, I am only planning to apply for one, but a couple of guys want to go along just to shoot does and they would like to get more than one if possible.

That's a good question that I've never seen addressed on any website I'm on. I have no idea if you put down the same unit for two tags if they issue you two random numbers or one that if drawn will give you both tags. I think I will call the G&F Draw Section tomorrow and see what I can find out and report back here on this thread what I find out.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 08:50PM (MST)[p]>You will draw 2 before the
>next guy gets looked at.
>

***Thanks WB! That's what I thought if you ask for two in the same unit because they can issue you one random number, but how do they handle it when you're in the draw for two different units?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]
Hmmm

Antelope only allowed me to pick one 1st choice area.
I just looked and deer fawn allowed separate areas for each tag.
I think you'll still draw both, if they both have tags avail.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]Hmmm
>
>Antelope only allowed me to pick
>one 1st choice area.
>I just looked and deer fawn
>allowed separate areas for each
>tag.
>I think you'll still draw both,
>if they both have tags
>avail.

***You lost me on that last comment unless you meant that they both could draw one or two in the same unit if the computer got to their number before tags were gone. Anyway, I also just tried to apply for a tag in two different antelope units and it will not allow it, but it will in the deer as you mentioned. To apply for two first choice antelope tags you must make them for the same unit. That's why in a random draw like that some will get two tags and others may not get any if the tags are taken before the computer picks their random number. In the deer situation you would be in two separate draws and could draw one, both, or neither tag. I wonder if the difference is because there are a lot more antelope to have the system set up differently like they do. Anyway, the question the OP asked was one that I didn't know the answer to until I went in and tried what I did a few minutes ago and that saved a call to G&F this AM!

ADDENDUM: I also hope that the guy that asked me in a PM a few days ago if he could apply for a doe antelope tag in two separate units sees this because I told him yes and I can't remember if the PM was on this site or one of several others I'm active on. I guess he'll figure it out when he tries and it doesn't work, but I sure thought you could until today!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]I think this needs to be changed, pretty much BS that someone could draw two while another drew zero. I am applying in a unit that is 30-40% draw odds for doe lope tags and I feel bad applying for two as I would be taking someone elses goat license. What to do. If everyone is applying for two, my odds might actually be worse than I thought.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]>I think this needs to be
>changed, pretty much BS that
>someone could draw two while
>another drew zero. I
>am applying in a unit
>that is 30-40% draw odds
>for doe lope tags and
>I feel bad applying for
>two as I would be
>taking someone elses goat license.
> What to do.
>If everyone is applying for
>two, my odds might actually
>be worse than I thought.
>

***After figuring this out this AM I agree 100% with you. The other real kicker is that you fill out a couple boxes and send it online in one CC "swipe" but they still charge $14 for each of the tags when they are only doing one draw for them when you put down two. That, to me, is BS when they turn right around and sell the leftovers with no extra application fee!!! They could get quite e bit of money just by continuing to charge that $14 fee and I doubt that anything negative would be said since they need more money.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]Gunner, for Deer I think you're just in the type 6 draw. They look at your 1st app and try to fill it, then your second, and try to fill it. You would have just one random number.
I like the 2 tag limit. Then I buy 2 more.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]>Gunner, for Deer I think you're
>just in the type 6
>draw. They look at your
>1st app and try to
>fill it, then your second,
>and try to fill it.
>You would have just one
>random number.
>I like the 2 tag limit.
>Then I buy 2 more.
>

***I guess I don't quite understand your first sentence. Yes, we are talking about the type 6 tags for deer, just like we are for antelope and they boviously handle them differently. I guess they could the draws two different ways. They could give you one number and do like you stated or give you a number for each of the units you apply for and do them completely separate, so in the latter mathod the tags would be spread out to more individuals. They already tie things together so if you check a box you won't draw a reduced tag when you don't draw the same unit for a type 1 tag, so I guess we're just guessing as to how they prceed with this two tag deal. It does seem like giving a person two tags before everyone gets one is cutting the throat of a lot of businesses that would benefit if two people visited Wyoming with tags, rather than one person with two. However, the way they do it the G&F gets the same amount of money by charging the $14 application fee for each one even when one guy gets them both. Why don't you call your "girlfriend", LOL, up there in the Draw Section and tell her to "splain" it for us.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-14 AT 12:56PM (MST)[p]

"They already tie things together so if you check a box you won't draw a reduced tag when you don't draw the same unit for a type 1 tag, so I guess we're just guessing as to how they proceed with this two tag deal."

That's is how they do the Doe Deer draw. If they pull your number they just go down thru your choices.

>[>"They already tie things together so
>if you check a box
>you won't draw a reduced
>tag when you don't draw
>the same unit for a
>type 1 tag, so I
>guess we're just guessing as
>to how they proceed with
>this two tag deal."
>
> That's is how they do
>the Doe Deer draw. If
>they pull your number they
>just go down thru your
>choices.

***Okay, so it sounds like you're saying they do those like NM goes right down through if they draw your number before they go to the nexy person in this particular case and not the way they do the type 1 tags.

Thanks guys. I was just wondering what to tell the other guys who want to come on the trip. I agree that it would seem more fair if everyone got one tag before some people receive multiple ones. It also makes the odds a little hard to interpret. I was thinking we would have about a 60% chance at a doe tag, but that is just the ratio of tags to applicants. The actual odds could be much lower since it is likely lots of folks get multiples.

Good info for future planning . . .

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom