Doe tags!!!

elks96

Long Time Member
Hunting this year and ran into at least 5 guys with Doe tags. It kind of rubs a guy the wrong way to learn that there are multiple does tags in units that are way under population objectives. How can the offer up does tags when the populations are down so much. I under stand if population are at or over but when they are still way under!!! Why offer such tags?

I would agree. And while they're at it, put a 4 point restriction on bucks. Then at least a few could dodge hunters for a couple years and reach full maturity. Did you get anything?

I ran into guys with doe tags too and was like WTF? Population in the area is down 50-70% and they're selling doe tags. Great conservation strategy.
I woulda thought they'd try to get the population up then worry more about buck/doe ratios. Guess selling tags comes first though

The DPW places more priority on maintaining the sex ratios they want than the size of the deer population. That's what they're learning in college, nowadays. To me, it defies logic if you want to increase the herds. It doesn't increase the overall number of bucks, just in comparison to does. And no, You don't want minimum point requirements. We have them here in Pa. and most rifle hunters hate them. Archers like it. It is very difficult to get an accurate count and forces you to take a chance or not to shoot. Obviously, the guys willing to gamble get the bucks and some are always left lay because they aren't legal. You always have doubts until you walk up to a dead animal. I hate it.

Yup, lots of doe tags in my unit, and not nearly the numbers of deer that there used to be. Dumb.

>I would agree. And while
>they're at it, put a
>4 point restriction on bucks.
> Then at least a
>few could dodge hunters for
>a couple years and reach
>full maturity. Did you
>get anything?

We passed on a lot of spikes and two points. Hunted hard and never saw a buck bigger than a little three. Weather sucked the ATvs everywhere sucked and a total lack of deer sucked. We did see 14 legal bulls one over 315 inches six by six and another five by five that was just under 300. In an over hunted general unit that is good elk but nothing good to say about the deer. I will just keep saving points.

Robb,

For the last 5 years we have been protesting the amount of doe deer licenses at the commission meetings.
This year we got a couple of commissioners to agree with us after they made a presentation showing that all deer populations except 1 in the entire state are below population objectives.
The answer from the lead big game biologist was that we still needed to have opportunity!
Population estimates are another huge problem that has been plaguing the deer herds leading to an increase in doe licenses, estimates between us and the different biologists vary quite a bit, but in some cases have been turned around but still need some adjustments and changes in strategies.
Whether you guys know it or not the CPW on the wildlife side is $12 million dollars in the hole after blowing an $82 million dollar surplus in revenues, they are in major program slashing mode - too many programs is one of the reasons they spent so much money.
We have demonstrated at several meetings why they continue to grow broke and the populations decline but it falls on deaf ears and has been slow to change.
At the end of the day politics still wins out and the resource continues to be depleted.
The ideas of a tax based funding source for the CPW is still on the table and falls in line with the decreasing populations where hunters wont need to manage game animals any more. Radical Animal rights activists, Wolves, lions, bears, coyotes etc... will be the managers.
Amendments 10 and 14 have forever changed the way that populations have flourished and are managed and even the previous dow under Remington rejected a bear bill that would have given them more control over seasons and numbers.
Predator control needs to be at the top of the list of priorities for sportsmen and women if we are going to have game to hunt in the future.
Sportsmen need to unite together and put the pressure on the CPW to change the way they are mismanaging the deer herds.
Robb, call me one of these days i dont have your number anymore.
Thanks,
Chris

Cohntr.

I hunt PA and know a lot of people that hunt there and almost everyone I know loves the antler restrictions. I understand it is a bit of a touchy subject and I respect your and others opinions, but we went from shooting yearling forkies to 150 inch bucks in a short time.

Whitetail are way different than mule deer...I don't think antler restrictions would work as well on mulies.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom