Does CWD prevent you from applying in an area?

M

mr3006

The outfitter I have been looking at hunts 3 units in WY. All 3 are listed as CWD units in application.Would you look elsewere?
One unit is listed with 1 case reported.Has it been found in muleys, and Whitetail? or just WT?
thanks
wayne

Cwd is found in spine, and brain.Could a spine shot contaminate meat? How about sloppy butcher work. I do not care just wanted opionions.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-04 AT 01:03AM (MST)[p]CWD is found in MD, WTD, and elk. If you are hunting an area where there has been one case I wouldnt worry much. Yes CWD is found in the brain, lymph nodes, spinal cord, etc. (stuff you usually dont eat). You can bone out the animal without cutting through spine. Meat would be "contaminated" in areas that had sloppy butchering or spine shot. CWD has not been found to be transmissable to humans. The CDOW website has all the answers you could imagine. Look on the left side of the main page for "chronic wasting disease". www.wildlife.state.co.us
I live, use to work, and hunt in the heart of CWD country and am not worried about it. YEs I have eaten positive cwd meat too and am not drooling or stumbling around (not yet at least-j/k!).
Jeff

CWD - not something I spend any time worrying about. I live right in the middle of CWD's heartland and it is NO BIG DEAL. This disease has never been shown to be transmissable to humans, only to members of the deer (cervid) family. Antelope don't get it, cattle don't get it, and neither does anything else.

My recommendation is to hunt where you want, bone your meat and worry about the economy, elections or Janet Jackson, and forget worrying about CWD.

I avoid any units that have a positive CWD issue.
Sure, ya don't eat the antlers but alot of harvest
aren't monster muleys/bulls so I enjoy eating the meat.
Would your wife/you feed your kids meat that is known to come
from a CWD unit??? Whatever you feel best is what you should do.

#1 if you hunt for meat -don't shoot it in the head or spine
avoid cutting the spinal sac- wear gloves & apron
#2 if you trophy hunt -you are going to shoot it in the torso
anyway-wear gloves & apron
if you have open areas on your body -ie cuts, scrapes, open sores, wounds etc- send it to a butcher

if you process your own game you can butcher it without involving the spinal sac

so don't look for trouble -just be careful and if it looks contaminated don't remove it-

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom