Does This Make You Nervous?

Does running into a marijuana growing operation in the hills make me nervous?? Nah, it just gives me the munchies...

It will become an even bigger problem over the years.

These illegals will not think twice when it comes to protecting their cash crop. Some poor hiker is going to come up missing!

When I see a guy wearing a "ban guns" T-shirt, I alway think he'd be really happy to see me, and my gun, if he got into a jackpot.

Pot growers and wolves are both illegal, non-native species and should be "managed".

Zeke

Wonder how the deer and elk like that kinda browse? Would be funny to see bucks/bulls in the rut munching on "weed"!

Has anyone ever encountered a "grow" while hunting?

I've encountered them durring the season. I've encountered them while working as well.

Agreed.

I've never run into one, and hope I never do. The idea that these dudes will not hesitate to protect the operation is scary. Protecting millions of dollars in crop is much more valuable to them than a hunter/hiker's life. Wonder if they'll ever bust an operation in the hills and find missing bodies?

Sure makes me a little nervous.

So...SWB, how did you handle the encounter situation?? What did you do?
I've seen them from a distance, couple hundred yards away, but never face-to-face close encounter....

The first crop i ever found was growing in the back yard of a friend. My friend and i mowed it down with the lawn mower. Lol he got his butt kicked

The second one i found was up lambs canyon. It had a net work of pipes. It had recently been harvested and i didnt see anyone around. I actually think there are a few farms in that canyon.

The third one i found was growing on a guys farm i was working near. I had permission from the coal company to be on the property next to his. There wasnt a fence or anything to determin the boundary and i was about 15 feet on the property i wast supposed to be on. The guy saw me a told me to leave. As i was leaving i saw the pot growing out of a few kids play houses. Within an hour he had it all harvested so i wouldnt turn him in.

LAST EDITED ON May-02-12 AT 10:07AM (MST)[p]I also found one in pleasant grove one day and a guy claiming to be an undercover officer came out of the weeds and started asking what i was doing there. He said to leave and not tell anyone i was there or to mention anything about it to anyone. For all i know he was the one growing it. At the time I didnt care just wanted to get the job done.

Ive ran into to different operations. One in payson canyon and one up santaquin canyon. The one in payson canyon I was grouse hunting when I stumbled on to it. the growers were there but luckly they were some kids I went to school with I told them the this canyon and the surrounding area was going to get really popular with grouse, elk and deer hunts going soon. the next week i was hunting grouse agian and just kind of pasted by and all the plants, pipes and hardware was gone.

The one in santaquin was a long long ways from any roads and seemed a little more professinal and scary. A friend and I were riding horse and we had been in the saddle most of the morning scouting for elk and deer. When suddenly we were just right up on it. there was a small little shanty half hut half lean-to with blue tarps and pvc pipes all over the place. my buddy had his lever gun and I had my 357 pistol but neither of us felt very good about it so we high tailed it back the way we came.

I would hate to run into one with people protecting it with automatic rifles. Not only are they going to shoot at you and spray a whole lot of lead but i think its a natural reaction when your in danger to shoot back. If you got out alive id love trying to explain a gunfight in the bottom of a canyon when theres a good chance they move there crops before the cops get there.

Ive got your four basic food groups! Beans, Bacon, Whiskey, and Lard!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom