Doesn't anyone do their own scouting anymore??

BuckBuster

I used to really enjoy reading post about scouting and hunting trips and seeing pictures people are getting on their trail cameras and spotting scopes. Seems like a lot of people just want to use everyone else's hard work to get into a good hunting spot instead of putting boots on the ground and finding good spots like some of us. I don't mind helping people out once and a while but JEEZE, all you ever see is someone wanting to know where to hunt!!!
JB

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-13 AT 03:21PM (MST)[p]I was up in Cloudcroft a couple weeks ago scouting for my muzzleloader bull elk hunt. Saw about 11 cows no bulls but i got a late start that morning.

Had three cows and three calves walk right in front of me right here was too slow on the camera though.

saw these ones at about 10:30 that morning there was a huge one in the front of the herd that took off as soon as it winded me. might have had antlers couldnt tell. just got a split second look at it. They hung up at about 150 before slowly walking away.

no pics from last week but was super green water holes are overflowing looks great. hope to go out again this weekend will remember camera this time.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-13 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]I agree. I have a buddy that hasn't scouted a lick and keeps saying he can't wait to get after some mule deer come September. He thinks I'm letting him tag along after I've spent every afternoon out in the sand hills and have showed him pictures of some nice bucks.... Little does he know ill be stalking solo.

I'm sympathetic for non-residents who draw a tag they might only be able to get every 10 or 20 years. You aren't going to spend every fall in that unit hoping one day you win the lottery. I spend my fall/summers where I have or can get tags, in New Mexico, who knows when I can draw a decent elk tag again. I've been spending more time in Colorado where I won't see a 350 bull but I can at least hunt each fall.

I also don't have a problem sharing information on units I know that I didn't draw out for. I know my way around 2 or 3 pretty well, but the odds of me getting an elk tag there are less than 15%. I think guys that have had OIL tags are much more willing to share info with the new tag holders. Its getting to be similar in most of the good units the way the odds have gone.

That said, you can bet I'll spend a few weeks in any unit I draw before the season, but I also might ask where to start and not feel bad about it.

Oh, and here's some scouting pictures over July 4th in unit 81 in southern colorado. I won't be hunting there this fall, I decided hoofstock is mandatory to get a bull out.

8000_10151766245197718_403645813_n.jpg

1017534_10151766245572718_1369791233_n.jpg

1045026_10151766245797718_2038355793_n.jpg

954633_10151766245422718_1923105179_n.jpg

I kind of agree with this... There is a fine line on the whole ordeal but it is the job of the person putting in to do a little leg work ahead of time and have some slight knowledge of what they are getting into...

Its like if you drew 2nd hunt in unit 15 and have no clue that's just rediculous and that happens. Or I am buying a bow drew 16A tag how is the unit for elk? Everyone is allowed to do is they please but some effort needs to be implemented from the person putting the app in.

Good luck to all! Saturday chasing goats! Can not wait!

Agreed!

I've given out what little info I can via PM, but people have to at least show they've looked over some maps and mention a few specific landmarks. Some people may have more time to scout, and that's understandable. Show at least a little effort on your part, and I'll do what I can.

I'm with you, OCHO! Heading up to 56 on Friday for my goat hunt and I can't wait!!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I hunt NM and Colorado. I don't have a problem helping people out in units that you need points or are OIL hunts, because there is no chance that I will be there every year or ever again. I spend many weekends every year like a lot of guys scouting the units that I will be hunting. The truth of the matter is if you know how to hunt you will find animals, or you move around until you find them. The problem is that the info that is given never stops with the person getting it. Just my opinion.
JB

BB has helped me and I really appreciate it.And what he has told me will stay with me.I can't draw the area for at least another 5 yrs
so things can change.Allot of the areas he mentioned we already scouted or were on our list but his knowledge confirmed that we were looking in the right places.It boils down to if you can hunt you will probably be sucessfull.

The people I have helped over the years have done pretty well.
And one of my rules for giving out info is they have to show me the critter.This brings me some satisfaction on a hunt well done even if its not my critter.Good Luck to all this fall

CC

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom