Dog training

joesikora

Long Time Member
The wife and I are thinking of getting another dog. We're leaning towards a GSP. Do any of you have any recommendations for books, videos, are other advise on training these dogs?

Thanks
Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

Joe I saw within the last week you lost your lab Chelsea, I have a 8 year old lab Ziva and it really struck home with me as last weekend although she was fantastic hunting the opening weekend it was obvious with endurance she is getting older. have had 12 labs through my life, I have been an upland hunter as well a duck and goose hunter for almost 50 years. I tried a gsp and a weimarer when I lost my lab before the one I now have, to me they didn't match up to what my labs have provided through the years. My dogs have always lived closely with the wife and I as well as hunted with us and it didn't seem to us they were nearly the versatile dogs our labs have been. In my opinion the versatility of labs in the house, with waterfowl, grouse, pheasant and quail and kids can't be matched.

Good luck with the new dog whatever it is I enjoy my dogs so much I regularly take them deer scouting, camping or on vacation with me. I also miss them when they die and the best medicine I have ever found is a new dog have fun with yours.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-16 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Lots of great books and video's out there these days. many trainers still say Gun Dog by Richard Wolters is the gold standard.

This guy is the god of upland trainers in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with his advice.

https://georgehickox.com/about_george_hickox_dvd.html

I've run GSP's for years hunting wild chuckar and I've come to think they're the best all around upland dog in the world. opinions may very, but in WWII general Goring thought the same thing so he closed the books and made the GSP the official German gun dog.

If you buy a pup with the natural ability the breed is known for your training will amount to little more than common obedience. they will figure the rest out on their own 90% of the time. I can't stress this enough.

any litter can be great but if you find a breeder with dogs that run in the NAVHDA test it will increase your odds of getting a great hunting companion. it's the equivalent of putting a race horse on the track to see how fast they can run.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Joe, I am wondering what activities you will be using the GSP for. I have had several GSPs and am on my second wirehair now. I have a strong preference for one of these breeds and am wondering what attracted you to the GSP and what you will use him for.

Not trying to "Tristate " ya just curious.

Thanks guys for all the advice and kind words. Cornhusker I'll diffinetly have more questions for you if you don't mind!
Deepcolor, what attracted me to this breed was a friend had a GSP and I never ever seen a dog hunt and mind so well.
My wife and brother in law Jr love to upland,and waterfowl hunt as I do. So I'd like to get a dog that can do it all. Maybe even shed hunting and to be part of the family as a inside dog, if that is even possible for this breed. I will diffinetly have more and more questions I'm sure.

Thanks
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

Tog I've seen that guys website before. awesome! He's got some beautiful dogs!

Thanks for sharing
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I would stay away from books and videos IMO. The best thing you can do is find someone in your local area who is an avid bird dogger and learn from them. Countless dogs have been screwed up by people who have read books or watched videos. I have trained/competed/hunted with pointing dogs for almost 20 years. I spend 100+ days a year hunting and training dogs on wild birds, and there are a lot of great breeds out there. It really depends on what you are wanting the dog to do, there is a big difference between dogs in the same breed.

I want my dogs 300+ yards away from me most of the time, since I hunt chukars/huns/sharpies etc that live in big country. A close working dog is not ideal for me.

Feel free to PM if you want to, I know lots of people in the bird dog world and can help you find what you are looking for. I live in Idaho Falls, your more than welcome to tag along anytime!

Wow coyote thanks for all the info!

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

I took a training course with Hickox , his videos will teach you most of what we learned in person. that said every dog is different so you must adjust to fit . but that's the case with training any animal.

Joe you said one thing that you might need to think about if you live up north, a GSP or most any upland breed isn't going to be the late season waterfowl dog your lab was. they'll freeze to death busting ice . they do make some gear to help keep them warm but I question how well it works.

I have a friend who ruined a good wirehair forcing him to bust ice. it bordered on animal abuse in my opinion.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Joe I have a gsp (and love him) but from the hunting you desire to do with a dog I would lean towards a lab. Basically same thing togwotee says.

I followed "The Perfect Start" and "The Perfect Finish" DVD's by Jon Hann. I've been pleased with the results and enjoyed training my own dog.

Tog, Soj, thanks for the advice!
I live in IL just 15 east of St Louis Mo. Does anyone know of a good breeder anywhere close to me?
For a Lab or a GSP!

As always thanks guys for all the great advice, you guys are awesome!
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

>I followed "The Perfect Start" and
>"The Perfect Finish" DVD's by
>Jon Hann. I've been pleased
>with the results and enjoyed
>training my own dog.

This...covers the basics and a great place to start. + 1 for local help. See if you have a NAVHDA group in your area...great source for help.

I took my 12.5 year old lab pheasant hunting yesterday,and i had to bring her back to the truck after about 45 minutes. It was evident that this is her last hunt. I have had many memories with this dog from her first pheasant stalk and retrieve at 5 months to her first goose at 7 months. I've had 3 other labs that were all good hunters, but this one is different, she is almost human! All my buddies have dogs that i can hunt with,but it's just not the same without your'e own, one that know's you and you know when she's on a bird or one to build a bond and memories with. To answer your'e question on a GSP, sounds like you want a upland and waterfowl dog that has a lot of personality,and you can have in the house.My next dog will be a Puddle pointer, i had e female and she basically did it all. Their natural ability is uncanny,and are very easy to train.They will match up with most dogs in the water,and have no fear of any fur or fowl. They have a lot of personalty and make great house pets that don't shed! I live in Idaho,and we have abundance of upland and waterfowl to hunt, i even used mine to track a blood trail on an elk.They don't have a tendency to range out to far ahead,and are always checking back with the boss. I would contact Ceder wood kennels Bob Farris is the king of this breed in the west,and they are a little pricey,but he stands by his dogs,and will replace after a year if there is a heath or any other reason. Good luck in your'e search..

Pudlepointer.....not a bad choice

Lucy-L.jpg

_DSC0145-L.jpg

_DSC4011-Edit-L.jpg

If you live in Illinois and want a waterfowl/pheasant dog I would for sure get a lab or a NAVHDA bred dog. A DD or something similar. I am more of a strictly upland guy, and dont have any desire for waterfowl.

Gdog, my brother in law mentioned the pudelpointer in the past. I love the pics you posted.
Coyote sorry but what is a DD?

Joe

-Joe E Sikora

DD = Deutsch Drahthaar

For a pup to be registered as a DD both parents have to pass a series of tests. Pups from two DD's that haven't been tested may be registered as an AKC German Wirehair.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 12:01?PM (MST)

German Wirehairs don't just equal untested DD's. Correct that they can be registered AKC, but whats the point? Anyone into DD's and VDD-GNA are not breeding untested dogs...purposely.

I've got both a PP and DD under roof. MY DD actually came out slick coated, which at first I was disappointed, but now I love it....no issues with burrs in his coat at all.

2013%20UT%20Sage%20Grouse%20%231-L.jpg

I wasn't knocking German Wirehairs... I have one. Both parents were registered DD's but neither was tested so they registered the pups as AKC Wirehairs. As you said, they weren't into breeding DD's. Most people have heard of a Wirehair which is why I pointed out the similarity between a DD and Wirehair.

Joe,

Stick with your breed and make the most of it. There is some many breeds and opinions that I guy could drive himself crazy. My advice is to have a plan and an end goal of what you want your pup to become as an adult. Be consistent every day, keep your dog busy with activities that lead to the end goal, give him as many opertunities as possible to be a dog and learn how to use his nose and the wind. It is obvious in you post about Chelsea that this dog will be part of the family also. Good luck and don't forget to post pics.

>Stick with your breed and make
>the most of it.

Absolutely. Have hunted behind some fantastic GSP's.

http://www.duckdawg.com

The guy that runs this web-site is a hunting partner and my vet he also trials a lot of labs the sire of my female was Yahoo ( yeah- who). Yahoo was quite a dog and a master retriever, Doc. usually has a litter or two of pups planned. Central Nebraska on the Platte has a lot of bird hunting and labs are preferred because of their versatility but I have hunted behind some good drathars, gsp, as well as some pretty good springers a lot of choices look at them all the process is a lot of fun.

The only good part of losing a dog is the new puppy you'll get to become part of the family. Most of the training I've done have been through Wolters, and James Lamb Free books as well as guys in retriever clubs that have worked with a lot of dogs and know a lot more than me. Man I wish I was looking for a new pup to train right now enjoy the process.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-16 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]As always great advice on here! My wife was reading all the posts. She told me to tell you all thanks as well.
I've said this so many times before but I don't care I'll say it again. There is such a wealth of knowledge on this site, it makes me proud to be apart of it.
I want to personally thank Francisco Cortez for introducing me to this site years ago
We are at the beginning of our journey for a new dog so I'll be sure to keep everyone in the loop! My wife loved the face of the pudlepointer that was posted.

Your friend
Joe

-Joe E Sikora

>Joe you have to make sure
>to never spoil your bird
>dog. That is the fastest
>way to ruin a good
>gun dog.
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/59033image.jpeg
>
>It will make them soft and
>they will never be able
>to perform in the field.
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/91348image.jpeg
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/45924image.jpeg
>
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/98335image.jpeg
>
>And they will never be able
>to learn new skills.
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/34898image.jpeg
>http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/43129image.jpeg
>
>Never Never Never spoil your bird
>dog.

Awesome Deepcolor!!!! That's fantastic...

I have two gsp's and love them but for what your are looking for I would lean towards a lab, I couldn't imagine my dogs in the house with how they are constantly roaming and always on the go, only my ten year old dog just started mellowing out with age. Just my opinion. Sorry for your loss ifs a tough deal for sure to lose a member of you family. Good luck on your search

Neat pictures you have it figured out. the more time you spend with your dog the better they'll be for everything. that's one of the things I like about Hickox, he's a big advocate of dogs in the house and with you as much as possible.

I have 3 GSP's and they go everywhere with me . I can leave them in the cab of my pickup or in the house and they're just fine. after the puppy stage of course.

Joe if you haven't checked this organization out I'd recommend it. nothing like natural ability to make training a breeze.

https://www.navhda.org/

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Pointing labs, to me beats a flushing lab,Seen both at work on pheasants, But then I use them for pheasants in the thick stuff I like to be up close when the bird flys. Kellogg,s pointing labs use to be one of the top one's Back in SD.
I will pick me up another GSP this spring to start backing up my "Buddy" dog he can then help train the new pup.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I moved to Sioux Falls SD last year rom St George, UT for CRNA school. Shortly thereafter I bought a GSP from a local breeder in Yankton, SD. Exceptional dogs and great NA, NAVHDA dogs. I actually ran my pup in the ILLOWA chapter which covers Eastern Illinois and Iowa. There were fantastic people there and I had a great time at the test. I would absolutely recommend getting in contact with a local NAVHDA club. They offer a wealth of knowledge and resourced such as birds, bird launchers, water training etc.

I am very good friends with the breeder I purchased my dog from, he is also a trainier. let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to help in any way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom