Dog?

dryflyelk

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]I'm doing something I didn't think I'd ever do and I'm considering a dog for my family. I've got a normal sized house with a normal yard and the dog would have to live in a kennel outside when my kids weren't playing with it. I've got a sister whose dog just had pups (beautiful english creme golden retrievers) so it would be one of those.

Input? Worth the hassle or not? Glad you did it or glad you got rid of him?

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Dogs in town suck....I grew up on a ranch and loved having dogs in that setting. My wife is a dog lover and we have a small Rat Terrier but it still is'nt enough room. 2 more months and I'll be back in the sticks.......I'll repeat it again though....dogs in town suck for both the dog and the owner.

I have a vizslia, a lab/weimarauner mix and a weiner dog. I told my wife the other day that if we could get rid of all the dogs, I'd have another baby. I'm 42. What does that tell you?

M'Balz Es Hari

I'd take my dog over anyone's kid I've had the displeasure of knowing. We have a descent size yard and he's a descent size dog but if he's never known living in a country setting then he won't miss it. I'd never be without a dog but could do without most humans.

>I have a vizslia, a lab/weimarauner
>mix and a weiner dog.
>I told my wife the
>other day that if we
>could get rid of all
>the dogs, I'd have another
>baby. I'm 42. What does
>that tell you?
>
>M'Balz Es Hari

You're sayin you want another Kid Wisz?

I'll see what I can do this Fall!:D

This Story happens alot it's True!
But Ya Best Hope it don't ever happen to you!

I don't trust anyone who doesn't have a dog.......or five.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

If you're the type that is pretty sure you would just leave it penned or chained up in the back yard, don't get one. If you don't want burned bushes, (male) or burned spots in lawn (female)don't get one. If you're going to leave it outside, no matter how hot or cold it gets, don't get one. If you don't like shed hair all over the house, don't get one, especially a golden retriever, and if it's not going to be part of the family, don't get one. If you don't mind cleaning up after, feeding, hiring a baby sitter when you go on trips, paying license and vet bills, and loving them so much that it tears you up for days, when they get so old you have to put them down, then by all means get one. They add joy to your life and are always excited to see you, no matter what mood you're in.

>If you're the type that is
>pretty sure you would just
>leave it penned or chained
>up in the back yard,
>don't get one. If you
>don't want burned bushes, (male)
>or burned spots in lawn
>(female)don't get one. If you're
>going to leave it outside,
>no matter how hot or
>cold it gets, don't get
>one. If you don't like
>shed hair all over the
>house, don't get one, especially
>a golden retriever, and if
>it's not going to be
>part of the family, don't
>get one. If you don't
>mind cleaning up after, feeding,
>hiring a baby sitter when
>you go on trips, paying
>license and vet bills, and
>loving them so much that
>it tears you up for
>days, when they get so
>old you have to put
>them down, then by all
>means get one. They add
>joy to your life and
>are always excited to see
>you, no matter what mood
>you're in.

This says it all! If you don't get it, reread it over and over until you do!

+++
There are some people out there that clearly love their dogs. They care for them, train them, and the dogs are pleasant to be around and never run loose. Unfortunately these types of dog owners seem to be a rarity.

"I'd have another baby. I'm 42."

Wiz... tell's me you are one weird MF'er.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]Thanks richardjb. We just had to put down our dog a few days ago. He was one week away from 14 years. My wife and I have been broken up ever since. You just don't realize how almost every aspect of your life involves planning around your dog. It was worth every minute.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]Almost lost my best buddy the end of April and after $2K in Vet bills for a stay in the emergemcy clinic and numerous tests we found out what his problem is that had started on an infrequent basis a year ago and was getting more frequent. Hercules (Herc) has what is called megaesophagus, a rare condition that is hard to diagnose and that has no cure other than TLC and that's what I decided to do rather than put him down, since he is not quite 10 years old and in excellent shape. The condition is where the esophagus grows for some unknown reason later in their life and then it can't use it's normal contractions to move all the food properly to their stomach. Xrays showed that his is at least 3 times as big as it should be. The result is that some of the food he takes in lays in the esophagus and comes back up a number of hours later. The last time it happened to Herc was at 1AM after his normal 6PM feeding the evening before and he aspirated some into his lungs and got pneumonia. From now on he has to be fed sitting up and then sit for another 20 minutes to allow all his food to go to his stomach by gravity. He took right to it as if a sixth sense told him it was either do or die, which it is. Here he is in the fancy new feeding chair my wife made from scratch for him. I call it the Taj Mahal, LOL! The door swings open for him to go in and the food pan holder swings down from in back after he gets in it for his meal. The Vets at the emergency clinic in Kalamazoo were so pleased at how things have turned out that they're going to write it up and Herc will be on Facebook one of these days!

5800herc_i_n_chair_004.jpg

5527herc_i_n_chair_008.jpg

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13
>AT 10:35?PM (MST)

>
>Thanks richardjb. We just had
>to put down our dog
>a few days ago. He
>was one week away from
>14 years. My wife and
>I have been broken up
>ever since. You just don't
>realize how almost every aspect
>of your life involves planning
>around your dog. It was
>worth every minute.
Very sad indeed. When I had to put my last dog down due to cancer, I had to go out right away to replace him. I still call my new dog by the old dogs name once in awhile.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]+1 to what Feleno,nickman,and bucklover all said.You're either a dog lover or you ain't!!Don't try to force yourself to own a dog with the attitude that he'll be a pain in your neck at some point.Pets are as much a part of the family as the baby Wisz is talking about having(BTW,Wisz,if she gets rid of the dogs,will she get another after the baby??Something to think about...).

Richardjb-My wife and I have found that the sooner you get a new dog,the sooner the grieving is over.We do it every time.

If adopted as part of the family,a dog can bring many years of laughter and joy.

TG-That is a throne if I ever saw one!Great job by your wife.

I was never much of a dog guy, admitdly I was a cat person. I now have three dogs, one of which goes everywhere with me including deer hunting and fishing. This dog is so popular out on the water that I have boats swing by to see if she is with me. They can become a huge part of your life if you let them.
a8y7.jpg

A dog and kids go together. Our dog is my 10 year olds best bud. I'm betting your kids will have a fast friend quick. Make sure it's for real. Once attached, it's hard for kid and dog to be separated. mtmuley

If you live next to me and you let your dog bark its brains out day and night, don't get too attached because you won't have it for long.

In other words be considerate of your neighbors please.

Eel

I would love to have a dog again but as long as I live in town I WILL NOT do it! Way too much trouble and pain in the azz. Plus if it is a loud dog then it pisses the neighbors off and it just adds to unneeded stress/worrying....

I had dogs living in town and so happy when the ex took them in the divorce. She recently tried giving me one of them back. He is a great dog (carrin terrier, toto off of wizard of oz). Just isn't worth it though.

Also I have a great yard now and I don't want it destroyed from having a dog or having to go around picking its crap up!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

You do not need a dog and that is OK....

Like said above, they deserve to be apart of the family 100% and not somebodys play toy once in a while.

There is nothing better then a pup that knows his place as a masters best bud and family dog but there is one hell of a lot of bad that goes along with them and you have to accept it.

addyfish_zps24df73f6.jpg

loadedup_zpsd7fd173c.jpg

luckycharm_zpsaa3ded36.jpg

elkdown.jpg

2008hunting044.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

UtahArchery013.jpg

elephantsandaframes009.jpg

rabbit1d.jpg

doedeer.jpg

ktktgoat.jpg

gaugesgadwall.jpg

gaugeduck1.jpg

and that is just a few adventures I have enjoyed the company of my dog and the more people I meet the better I like the ol' boy.

Todd

Neat pictures Todd and you're spot on in that if you can't make them a part of the family or have the money to take care of them as such, then don't get one!!! People that have never had one probably need to really look at how much it costs for food, yearly shots, preventative heartworm treatment at about $15 a pill per month, rabies tags & registration, etc. They aren't cheap, but what is nowadays, and once you have one from my perspective you treat them just like you would take care of yourself. Maybe even better!!!

Just_A_Hunter and Robiland,

Very cool posts!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

+! bucklover,IT tore my heart out to put down my yellow lab a year ago.everybody wants to know when am getting another one.I tell them I had the best dog nothing will compare.cowboy57

glad I did it and would do it 1000 times again.. He goes everywhere with me. we live in a normal house with a normal yard also he lives in a 12x12 kennel when we are at work and in and out of the house when we are home. the hair in the house can be excessive but just have to clean a little more often. here is a video of our dog after a 2 mile hike last weekend scouting for elk
http://www.monsterhuntclips.com/video/2248/dog

I would just echo what has been said about not getting one unless it is going to be part of the family 100%. If it is a part time novelty, you will regret it, the neighbors will regret it, and the dog will regret it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

You need not ask about having a Dog for your Family. What you should be asking is, Would my Family be ready to have another member if it were a Dog. Let me give you my / Our background as Advice. I am, um.. ok I'm getting Old, Have been Married over 27 years, Have 3 kids and 3 grandchildren, and in the 27 years have also have 2 great dogs,(Family members) and 15 - 20 Hounds. The hounds were Great Hounds,well some were anyway. BUT they were tools for my younger years of Hunting. I did become attatched to some. but I just think of them fondly when i'm missing the old hunting days. I MISS the other 2, "Amigo" ( Brittany died in 1994) and "PAL" ( Chocolate Lab Died Nov. 18 2012) I am tearing up thinking about it. I have a son who was a State champ wrestler and does MMA, He cant talk about "His" Dog Pal, to this day without tearing up. We now have a new Family member named "Duke" he is a Black Lab. He is mostly, right now, a pain in my a$$, But he is young,. My kids were also pains in my a$$ when young. But they get trained up. I in no way mean offence in saying " If you are buying a Dog for your kids to play with, you shouldn't be a dog owner" Buy the kids a swing set or jungle gym. Having a Dog in the Family is not something to be taken lightly. We live in a very rural area and, sad to say, have to deal with allot of BS from people who get a Dog and then cant handle it. So they come to the country and its." Aw look at the country folk.... Spot will love it here in the country" . So the Jerks "dump" the dog off and its scared to death, Doesn't know anything or anyone and hides out in the sticks thirsty and hungry unti'll it finds my chicken coop and the water in it with the chickens, BUT then its dead, with a hole in its head. Take my advice go with the swing set

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom