Dogs & Big Game Hunting

EROCK1313

I was just curious how many of you take a dog(s) with you hunting Elk and Deer, especially when on foot versus horseback or ATVs etc?

Do you feel they hinder your hunting or help in some way and how does it play out for those who Archery hunt and have to make a stalk?

I hunt alot alone in the backcountry and was thinking of getting a good dog to possibly accompany me. I figure it would be good companionship and some degree of protection etc and might give my wife some piece of mind while Archery Hunting back in 5-10 miles; what do all of you think?

?-ERock-> ?

I used to take my bird dog while scouting and he could locate game at several hundred yards out. They must be very well broke to avoid chasing game and/ or getting shot. I many used my dog for mountain grouse hunting and took him on backpacking trips. I don't think I would take a dog unless they were needed for legal pursuit. On public land hunting its too risky in my opinion. Rent or buy a SPOT or satilite phone.

I've wondered the same thing. But then you'd have to take extra stuff for the dog...food. I guess it could carry it's own food. As long as there was a water source, you wouldn't have that to worry about that. Didn't Utah make it legal to use a dog for blood trailing wounded game? Also, on an archery hunt it could be problematic when you get down to the final stalk. One whine or whimper from Fluffy and the jig would be up.

I'm not a dog lover, so I can't really say. My opinion is that the dog would be a huge burden for me because I don't care for having to take care of an animal while out concentrating on my hunting. I do see how they could give you an advantage on tracking wounded game though.

I take my 2 year old black lab when we hunt around the house for blacktail deer. He is not any help, but he sure does love the taste of fresh big buck blood.
Jay

I believe it is illegal to hunt big game with a dog in Utah. Tracking is ok, but not having them with you on the hunt. At least that is what they said during the last meeting I attended.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-12 AT 12:51PM (MST)[p]Gauge the (Bow Hunting) Gun Dog Sr. has been on many a hunt and hopefully many more. He is trained to lay and stay when I need him to and even though they are yearling bucks the two bow bucks were spot and stalk hunts and gauge was laying and staying when I first started my stalk.

I have been bugged a few times by a few different game wardens in a few different states for having him along in the field but he doesn't chase animals and I don't use him to hunt. He just goes hunting with me and apparently that isn't against the law and if I ever do get a ticket I guess I'll have my day in court.

I did use him on a few blood trails and he was getting good but I didn't work with him enough the last few years and he has lost any blood trailing intrest he had.

I have never felt hindered or hanycapped when having him along. If the animals smell him they smell me as well and dogs on heal make no noise compaired to thier human buddy. The only thing is the panting in hot weather might be a factor but once again, many wild critters pant as well.

IMG_0851.jpg

2008hunting044.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

2008hunting038.jpg

UtahArchery013.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

victory.jpg

offwego.jpg

gaugeatwallow.jpg

5204dovehunt.jpg

6986elk_down.jpg

5338mountainnap-4bv7xmion.jpg

elephantsandaframes008.jpg

Todd

"I have been bugged a few times by a few different game wardens in a few different states for having him along in the field but he doesn't chase animals and I don't use him to hunt. He just goes hunting with me and apparently that isn't against the law and if I ever do get a ticket I guess I'll have my day in
court".

If you were up here in Michigan, your day in court would come quickly and you'd lose big time! The law is specific in that we cannot have a dog in the field during a big game season unless we have a small game license and that's all we are hunting at the time. We can't even have them out in the field where wild game is expected to live for training purposes during the Spring when game starts nesting until 7/15. I take my DD everywhere with me, including on my big game hunts in other states, but he stays at or in the camper while I'm out in the field hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-12 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]Thank goodness I don't live in Michigan!

I'm pretty sure there is a Game Warden or two right now flipping through their books while clicking their pen ready to give me a ticket and I'm ok with that. I really hope if I'm really in the wrong one will PM me and let me know and we can go from there. But like I say, face to face I've been almost written up a few times already. All by super nice Wardens.

Utah or Colorado both want you to believe it is against the law but nothing is clearly defined by either state.. If you are using a dog to big game hunt you will get hung upside down by your toe nails. Having a dog with you is no different then taking your dog on a walk on public lands. I understand where they are coming from. Not all dogs are well behaved and not all dog owners should be allowed to own dogs.

If anyone sees my Choco lab chasing/harrasing game I welcome you to shoot him if you can beat me too it.

Like I said, I'm sure one of these days I'll have my day in court but so far I've been able to convince the game wardens we aren't hurting anything or breaking any laws.

Todd

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-12 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]Todd---IMO It's really not that bad a law because if it wasn't in black and white then we would have the individual Wardens trying to make their own rules or determine what they think the law means if it isn't spelled out. That sounds like what you have experienced if it isn't spelled out where you are or have been with your dog and so far you have run into the right Wardens. You may run into your next one that has different feelings and will write you that ticket. I was in LE with the MI Dept. of Ag. for 30+ years and I can tell you for sure that uniformity of enforcement is difficult when things aren't spelled out to limit officer decisions as to what the law says. I also really don't think dogs should be able to run free when we're out during those times when game birds are nesting. Anyway, I love that Lab of yours and would agree that it looks like he has been on some cool hunts and seems very well mannered around the game in those pictures. How old is he, especially in that first picture where he looks very young?

I have been privaleged to have been in a few camps with Todd and Gauge, and you will not find a better mannered dog. Gauge is not just a dog to Todd, he is his buddy. Almost a "father-son" relationship. That dog goes EVERYWHERE Todd goes, they are a team.While hunting, he stays right where Todd tells him to stay, at heel or where ever. They are both welcome at my campfire, ANYTIME.

I can relate to that quite easily, as Hercules (Herc for short), my DD pointer is that way with me, but he doesn't go out in the field with me like Gauge does with Todd unless we're bird hunting. I don't know what I'll do when he's gone, as he's been my best buddy for the last six years since I got him at 2 1/2 when my son & family moved and couldn't take him with them.

6929p1000427.jpg

Topgun,

Nice Dog! DD's are great!

Gauge is 5.5 now. He was actually 3 in that first picture, just in really good shape that year. He has since had his manhood removed when Momma moved in. He wasn't quite a year in the bottom picture and that was his first bonnafide retrieve.

Tex,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Gauge thinks you're pretty much A-OK as well!

Todd

Spark goes Coyote hunting with me. I don't use him as a decoy dog for obvious reasons but he knows what we are after and minds really well. Sometimes he even spots a coyote before me and lets me know with a quiet growl.

septcoyote10002.jpg

yote2.jpg

Coyotekiller002.jpg

Spark gets to come along on retrieving big game but not during the hunt. He gets so excited seeing elk that he screeches which does not help.
FredsMauiPictures003.jpg

As of January when I talked to a fish cop....still illegal(The wife and I had just bought a beagle pup). I'd be very interested to know if it has changed though.

I think Spark would make a great deer dog! I have a Jack Russell mix that is a deer magnet, but he too old to take anymore (14). In California you can use dogs in many areas for deer. Hunting Blacktails in the A-zone brush is much more productive with dogs. They of course are hell on pigs too.

The Jack Russell is known to be one of the smartest breeds out there and I'll bet you're right about Spark too!

Tod I loved your pics thanks for posting. With the new tracking law you won't have any problems here in UT. If you were running game that would be a diffrent story.

Justin Richins
R&K Hunting Company Inc.
www.thehuntingcompany.com

Took my Choc. lab with me for deer here in Calif for the first time last year. I mostly sit and do it for hours and my lab would just sit by my side and watch and listen. Never a peep from her over a total of 7 days. We got a buck too so it didn't seem to hurt out chances in a zone that has 6% success. My hunting buddy and dad are both hoping she comes along this year.

hahaha, i love the pics with the dog and dead game. I have a Brittany, and no matter how much training and different types were used we couldnt get her to keep working after a gun shot so she became a fishing dog. She comes bass fishing with us and if she doesnt get to kiss every fish that comes onto the deck she will let you know with a terribly sad looking face.

Love dogs, if mine was that good while deer hunting she would be with me every time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom