Don Martin

fugitive

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-09 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]Saw your fishing report on the AZG&F website. Me and the family are heading up there next week for about a week. Was wondering what has been working best. We usually troll but are up for any suggestions. Anything will help. Thanks.

Edit: I guess I should say that I'm talking about Lake Mead.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
61.gif

Hope you are coming to South Cove.

We fish only at night and the angling as you can see has been nothing short of spectacular!

Here is what you need. Get a couple of floating crappie lights, lots of cut up anchovies and dry ice to keep them hard frozen.

Keep ice chests partially filled with ice to keep you catch in or they'll turn to mush if you leave them in the water.

Look for deep water, close to a main channel or for a deep channel in a major cove.

I've been lucky enough to win the Stripe-R-Rama tournament there the last two years with two different partners (Bruce Hudson '07, Shane Moline in '08) and we worked it basically the same each year.

I also do some chumming and that seems to keep the fish around the boat.

Right now the lights are attracting a lot of small minnows and photoplankton and zooplankton which in turns brings in the stripers.

Lots of fun, lots of fish this year.

Our catches have been from 96 to 231 stripers in one night!

Keep all you catch, as the small ones 10-14 inches give you the best fillets.

If your in the "neighborhood" give me a call at 928-681-4867 and we can talk more about the striper fishing bonanza that's going on right now at Lake Mead.

Don Martin

LAST EDITED ON Jun-04-09 AT 05:35AM (MST)[p]Sounds good. We usually troll around during the day with a 20' diver and an anchovie trailer. Havent really tried the night fishing in a while. (when the kids sleep we gotta sleep or we wont get any) Our kids are still pretty young. And yes we are going to south cove. A couple questions.

How close to sandy point is the river right now?

Where has the better fishing been? Burrow flats, Iceberg canyon, or farther down river from the flats?

Whats the biggest youve seen cought out there so far this year?

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

61.gif

The river is running into the lake just north of Sandy Point.

Water is murky there.

Burro Flats is producing, you can't get into Iceberg Canyon.

Some guys are catching stripers trolling (one guy used a deep diving green colored lure) and caught a 3 lb 11 oz fish on Saturday.

Since I don't usually fish during the day (too hot for me!) not sure the best place to troll.

We are doing better from Hualapai Bay all the way to Temple Bar.

Since I'm going to the Boqullas Ranch for the cleanup this weekend, I probably won't see you guys up there, but I'm going up next week and fish.

Let me know how you do.

Good luck!

Sounds good. WE will be there the 11th through the 16th. I told everyone about the amount of fish youve been catching at night and even the wives that dont fish want to get a licence. Thanks for the help we will try haulapai bay to temple bar. Havent really fished there much. Again, thank you for the help.

61.gif

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom