DOZENS OF NEW CALIBERS/CARTRIDGES HYPE???

I shot a 270 win and a 300win for 45 years and just replaced both rifles with the same calibers, I could not come up with a good reason to change , the components are easy to get. the one thing I have changed through the years is type of bullet and scope. It is easy to get sold on new stuff, I have had 15 or more f250 and 350s and back in the 70s you could not brake one of those trucks and you could fix it anywhere, I have a brand new one that actually has more things that could go wrong or stop working than actually were on an older model, it is a very nice looking truck with way more power than I would ever need, it was triple in price and I know it is not 3 times better. The calibers I have are not ever not going to perform.

I'm an old school time tested kind of guy and sick of the wildcat hype. But that's me. I have lots of friends that are into the hype and buy a new gun frequently because it's what they do. There's obviously a market for it. Sitting around the campfire they all agree the added few FPS is indifferent and they are just into the trend including all the reloading and tinkering that goes with it.

Met a guy years ago who camped next to our archery camp. He asked me about my bow and I told him it was like 15 plus years old. He started to brag about how he buys the lates and fastest bow every year since he started bow hunting 10 years ago. My friend asked him how many animals he has killed. His reply was none. As I was walking away I could hear my friend telling him about all the animals I have killed. Some think a few feet per second is going to somehow make them successful. New stuff is nice and has a place, but I feel no one needs the latest and greatest every year.

True!

And Can You Learn To Shoot A New/Different Bow Every Year?

I Guess Guys With Lots of Time Might!

Met a guy years ago who camped next to our archery camp. He asked me about my bow and I told him it was like 15 plus years old. He started to brag about how he buys the lates and fastest bow every year since he started bow hunting 10 years ago. My friend asked him how many animals he has killed. His reply was none. As I was walking away I could hear my friend telling him about all the animals I have killed. Some think a few feet per second is going to somehow make them successful. New stuff is nice and has a place, but I feel no one needs the latest and greatest every year.

I suppose we could still ride a horse to work and call it transportation, but I wouldn't much like rounding up and saddling the nag every morning to do so.
Every hunting rifle could also be an 30-06 and that could work as well.
The fact is, some of us get bored with old stuff and want to try something new and maybe even better for a specific application.
There is nothing wrong with being traditional, but spicing up life with new and different cartridges is just fine with me. And since I reload every round I shoot, I don't have to worry about what ammo is available at the country market.
Just sayin.

Hey littlebig!

There Should Be a 37 Nosler Out Before Long!:D

I suppose we could still ride a horse to work and call it transportation, but I wouldn't much like rounding up and saddling the nag every morning to do so.
Every hunting rifle could also be an 30-06 and that could work as well.
The fact is, some of us get bored with old stuff and want to try something new and maybe even better for a specific application.
There is nothing wrong with being traditional, but spicing up life with new and different cartridges is just fine with me. And since I reload every round I shoot, I don't have to worry about what ammo is available at the country market.
Just sayin.

I shoot a 7 PRC as of this year. It’s shoots affordable factory ammo lights out, and out of the 5 bears killed with it so far, they all have died within seconds with 1 shot. Are there plenty of older calibers that will do exactly what the 7 will do? Of course, but it seems hard to beat to me based on accuracy, availability of ammo, affordability of ammo, and terminal performance.

I shoot a 7 PRC as of this year. It’s shoots affordable factory ammo lights out, and out of the 5 bears killed with it so far, they all have died within seconds with 1 shot. Are there plenty of older calibers that will do exactly what the 7 will do? Of course, but it seems hard to beat to me based on accuracy, availability of ammo, affordability of ammo, and terminal performance.
.30-06. mtmuley

.30-06. mtmuley
I don’t think there’s a factory loaded bullet that produces the BC that the 7 PRC factory ammo does, and the cost of ammo is pretty much the same. It wouldn’t make any sense for me to buy a 30-06 over a 7 PRC for what I’m wanting to do.

I don’t think there’s a factory loaded bullet that produces the BC that the 7 PRC factory ammo does, and the cost of ammo is pretty much the same. It wouldn’t make any sense for me to buy a 30-06 over a 7 PRC for what I’m wanting to do.

But if you wear a flat brim with a permed mullet sticking out, the 30-06 will.

I’ve got to many different calibers, I enjoy reloading and shooting but have a lot that just sit in the safe. But I have some younger hunters in my family coming up. So my plan is to hand them all down to them eventually. My favorite is the 300 win mag. Kicks like two mules but man I’ve harvested alot of animals with that gun. It’s an old model 70 with a Krieger barrel and older Leupold scope. But yeah I agree I’ve bought some newer faster farther calibers but always revert back to my 300 win.

Ballisticly speaking, the 7 PRC will be hard to beat as far as factory ammo/rifle goes. I’m sure many will try over the next years, and probably will succeed, but many will flop or lose their hype… kinda like the 6.8 western.

.300WM is a great “catch all” caliber. But so is a 6.5CM if you can get over the popularity factor ruining that caliber and understand it’s limitations.

You can never have too many rifles. They are all fun. Some are certainly over hyped or even absolutely worthless... but to someone they are hotchit. I just recently purchased a 6.5 Grendel after I swore I was done buying smaller caliber guns. That thing is fun to shoot and incredibly accurate. It’ll stack up there with any $8k custom rifles off a bench. And I don’t need to load my own ammo to make it shoot like that. I may even go chase elk with it this year.

What are you wanting to do? mtmuley

I don’t reload but have a bunch of the traditonal calibers. Probably 30 rifles in all. My favorite is still the 300wm. My kid is 15 and he loves our .308 Tikka. Probably killed more deer with my .270 than any caliber since I was a kid. I still go back and look at Marley’s .264 he had for sale on here. Something about that one has my attention. Hope he sold it. Lol

There will be many more to come. I think it will only slow down when everything new is dimensionally too close to something else that was new 15 or 120 years prior. We will have a lineup of 45 or more 6.5 or 7mm that are the best we can do and have run out of catchy names to help the marketing and forum discussions to hype up anything that someone dreams of making. After that, we will have moved on to something else like case less ammo or the larger, 50 BMG based cartridges or some new large cartridge design in 338cal and up I think. In those, there’s a lot of room to make something new.

Well, sometimes you just can't get close to a critter. Or don't want to so you can stoke your ego on the interweb. For that you need the improved cartridge of the month. mtmuley
I don't gamble, or golf much anymore. I seldom travel or even go out to eat, so spending my very modest extra on a new cartridge of the month seems like one of the few pleasures left for this old man. I hope that doesn't condemn me.
And, since a Saturday morning at the range is as exciting as life gets for me these days, I may still have one more cartridge of the month left in me to liven up what life is left. I'm thinking 22 Creedmoor! :)

The last centerfire rifle I bought was circa 1998. 7mm Rem Mag.
The last ML I bought was circa 1999. Knight Wolverine.
The last bow I bought was circa 2000. Champion Buck.
Suffice to say, if I find something I like and it works, I stick with it!
I did inherit a 300 WM in 2012, and hunt with it as well.

When the 6.8 Western came out, I jokingly said why not just wait until the 7.0 came out! Now it's here. Oh wait a minute, it's been around since 1962!!

Someone said it earlier, every year, there will be a new lure, camo, cartridge, bow etc... with a sales pitch that makes everything else obsolete.

Some guys gotta have the latest and greatest. And some guys are just happy with the same ol thing cause it works. And that's OK. Different strokes for different folks! Hunt with what you want to hunt with!

I’m sure some will judge me for this, but I want to have a rifle that can effectively kill animals 800 yards and in with factory ammo. So far it’s doing exactly what I want it to.
A 6.5 CM will do that! Tards do it every year!

I’m sure some will judge me for this, but I want to have a rifle that can effectively kill animals 800 yards and in with factory ammo. So far it’s doing exactly what I want it to.
I have four that will. Unless we double up on cartridge. mtmuley

Hey LittleBig!

Don't FRICK Around With Any Creedmoor!

Remember the 22 JFP I Built Several Years ago?

50 BMG Case Necked to .22!

It Is The Fastest .22 Caliber on Earth!

22 JFP.jpg
I don't gamble, or golf much anymore. I seldom travel or even go out to eat, so spending my very modest extra on a new cartridge of the month seems like one of the few pleasures left for this old man. I hope that doesn't condemn me.
And, since a Saturday morning at the range is as exciting as life gets for me these days, I may still have one more cartridge of the month left in me to liven up what life is left. I'm thinking 22 Creedmoor! :)

Just Wondering How Many More We Need?

You Can't Find Ammo For Alot Of Them!

Are Most Of These New Cartridges/Guns Any Better Than a 300 WSM?

Kinda Like New Trucks I Guess?

Your Thoughts?

I do not need anymore. However, adding new calibers makes money and I do not blame them.

Several years back, I was at Sportsmans in Logan. They had 3-4 Browning, 30-06 A-Bolts on clearance (I’ve probably posted this before ?). Anyway, they were $275 each. Yes, that is not a typo. Stupid me should have bought all of them.

I asked the Sales Associate why they were so cheap. His answer was “nobody wants them, people want the 6.5 Creedmore”).

I own one “odd” caliber. It’s a 7mm WSM. My dad won it at a banquet, several years ago. Try to find ammo for it! If you can find it online, it’s very expensive. I did find several boxes at a Sporting Goods Store in Beaver UT, a few years back. They had it for about $40.00 a box. I bought everything they had.

The calibers I have currently are: .308, 30-06, and .300 Win. and 32 Special (not too common). That’s all that I’ll likely ever use.

Sounds like it’s all personal preference, imagine that!

I own four centerfire rifles, 2 out of the 4 will likely never be shot again. I don’t go to the range much or give two focks about anything rifle related. Just a tool to go shoot. I have no interest in long range shooting. If I can’t get close enough to kill what I’m hunting it’s ok. The animal can live another day. Not too worried about it.

It is fun making fun of peoples choice in calibers and watch how worked up they can get about it though. When I hear 7 PRC I hear “I take it in the butt”. That’s ok, nothing wrong with that…

I’m kinda past the buy lots of rifles and cartridges phase of my life. I’m to the phase where I hunt everything with pretty much 1 rifle and have a back rifle that sits in the safe all year long.

I have a bow now that I shoot exceptionally consistent so that one’s not going anywhere either.

Just barely got into duck hunting so I’m being dumb and buying lots of shotguns until I find the one or two and will sell the rest.

Dunno, I would rather people buy guns then donate to “the center for biological diversity”

I’m a gun nut through and through so they keep it interesting for me. Some new cartridges I feel have been great offerings. I feel Hornadys has done some great things with their PRC line as of recent. I feel like the 6.8 western from browning isn’t going to go anywhere unless a premium ammunition line like Hornady picks it up. But ballistically speaking if people would just rebarrel their 270wsm’s with a faster twist rate they would have a 6.8 western…

I’m a gun guy for sure too. I also use one to hunt with and another as backup even though there are more sporting rifles to choose from at the house. My joy for the last few years is target shooting and practicing long range shooting with the small rifle primer cartridges. No need for a designer cartridge for that, it’s mostly time and load development. I’m not opposed to the trendy stuff that comes out because I have a few improved cartridges and plan on getting more and it would sound hypocritical of me to do that. I’m not done with getting new or different rifles yet, but for me to get a newer cartridge, it would have to be something real special that can’t be argued any other way.

Yep, have one as well. My local Sportsman's had some last year, but since I "roll my own", didn't have a need to pick them up.
Very nice! I need to start reloading. I bought the dies and have what I need to get started. I really like the caliber. I took it as a backup gun, years back, on my Bison Henry's hunt. I slipped and fell while I was carrying my 300 Win. Ruined my scope mounts and the 7mm WSM saved me on that hunt. It worked very well.

Very nice! I need to start reloading. I bought the dies and have what I need to get started. I really like the caliber. I took it as a backup gun, years back, on my Bison Henry's hunt. I slipped and fell while I was carrying my 300 Win. Ruined my scope mounts and the 7mm WSM saved me on that hunt. It worked very well.

I use mine pretty exclusively now. It's killed a lot of elk and a few oryx.

My take is that with modern bullets and propellants, the "old" cartridges do more than they used to. Coupled with advancements in optics and aiming systems I can get more performance out of a .30-06 or a .270 than was previously possible. Not as cool as a new cartridge but just as effective. mtmuley

The only noteworthy/Innovative cartridge designs in the last 30 years.

17 HMR
300 WSM
7mm WSM (I don't understand why it never caught on)
204 Ruger

Everything else is just a redundancy to stuff that already exists. And can easily be replicated by people who understand twist rates, and throat geometry.

The only noteworthy/Innovative cartridge designs in the last 30 years.

17 HMR
300 WSM
7mm WSM (I don't understand why it never caught on)
204 Ruger

Everything else is just a redundancy to stuff that already exists. And can easily be replicated by people who understand twist rates, and throat geometry.
Interesting list. Why the .204? mtmuley

Interesting list. Why the .204? mtmuley
It’s peerless, the speed that it can generate with the amount of powder burned is unmatched by anything. It really becomes apparent on a prairie dog down. Barrel stays cooler longer, and while a 22-250 or swift doesn’t produce a lot of recoil. It becomes noticeable if you’re firing a couple hundred shots in a day. Not so with the 204. IME anyways.

It’s peerless, the speed that it can generate with the amount of powder burned is unmatched by anything. It really becomes apparent on a prairie dog down. Barrel stays cooler longer, and while a 22-250 or swift doesn’t produce a lot of recoil. It becomes noticeable if you’re firing a couple hundred shots in a day. Not so with the 204. IME anyways.
Thought about one years ago. Have had a .222 Remington for a long time. mtmuley

I Still Don't See All The HYPE!

Not Real Impressed With a 6.8 Western!

The Only Gun I've Seen It In is a Browning!

Ya,I'm Sure There's Others!

CartridgeBullet WeightMuzzle VelocityMuzzle EnergyAction LengthCaliber
28 Nosler18031003,840Long0.284
300 PRC2252,8003,916Magnum0.308
Gunwerks 7 LRM1803,0253,657Long0.284
300 Win Mag1803,0003,597Long0.308
300 WSM1803,0003,597Short0.308
7 PRC1802,9503,478Long0.284
6.8 Western1752,8403,134Short0.277
7 SAUM1802,8253,189Short0.284
7mm Rem Mag1802,8253,189Long0.284
280 AI1802,7603,044Long0.284

I’m a gun nut through and through so they keep it interesting for me. Some new cartridges I feel have been great offerings. I feel Hornadys has done some great things with their PRC line as of recent. I feel like the 6.8 western from browning isn’t going to go anywhere unless a premium ammunition line like Hornady picks it up. But ballistically speaking if people would just rebarrel their 270wsm’s with a faster twist rate they would have a 6.8 western…
A better than 6.8 western….

I Still Don't See All The HYPE!

Not Real Impressed With a 6.8 Western!

The Only Gun I've Seen It In is a Browning!

Ya,I'm Sure There's Others!

CartridgeBullet WeightMuzzle VelocityMuzzle EnergyAction LengthCaliber
28 Nosler18031003,840Long0.284
300 PRC2252,8003,916Magnum0.308
Gunwerks 7 LRM1803,0253,657Long0.284
300 Win Mag1803,0003,597Long0.308
300 WSM1803,0003,597Short0.308
7 PRC1802,9503,478Long0.284
6.8 Western1752,8403,134Short0.277
7 SAUM1802,8253,189Short0.284
7mm Rem Mag1802,8253,189Long0.284
280 AI1802,7603,044Long0.284
I have a fast twist 270wsm 1:6.5 pushing 156gr bullet at 3200 fps… 6.8 western is not what its all hyped up to be, especially in a browning….

Last edited:
6.5 Grendel is a highly efficient cartridge im interested in as well as the classic 7mm mag.

The cartridges that are powder efficient are the most interesting to me, especially if I start reloading again. Are any of the new cartridges that much more efficient per grains of powder?

I could care less about BC but if I was playing sniper I would , but I like to hunt

Last edited:
All this new fangled caliber foolishness.
Elkass, you seem to think this is a new thing. Maybe you're just a newbie to the gun world. :) This has been going on since the first cartridge was developed.

Table of cartridges by year

Wiki table of cartridges

Personally, I would like to be able to buy, play with, and sell dozens and dozens of rifles every year. The 225 Winchester, 257 Roberts and 284 Winchester have always been on my list. The 6.5 CM does not interest me although I own a different 6.5.

Elkass, you seem to think this is a new thing. Maybe you're just a newbie to the gun world. :) This has been going on since the first cartridge was developed.

Wiki table of cartridges

Personally, I would like to be able to buy, play with, and sell dozens and dozens of rifles every year. The 225 Winchester, 257 Roberts and 284 Winchester have always been on my list. The 6.5 CM does not interest me although I own a different 6.5.
LOL- your table of introduced cartridges kinda proves elkassassin's point my friend!

In the 20th century, there were on average 8 cartridges introduced each decade (1900-1999).

In the 21st century, it was 28 in the first decade- OVER 3X the rate!

Just sayin'...

Hey Tikka!

I Totally Agree 1,000%+!
Well elk it appears all you need or ever will need is a 6.5 creedmore anything from moose to squirrel it has it undercontrol. Also after the day at the spa with your bros you can go hit some plates at 2 miles. But it requires a man bun.lol

Wiki table of cartridges

Nice list, but still missing a few of the older ones unless I missed them.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's missing lots of cartridges. Back in the day there were a ton of big bores. 40-60, 40-90, etc. Might be in the list. I didnt really look that close. Keep in mind tho, for every 30-06, 308, etc there were a couple dozen wildcats. If it could be necked up or down, it was. Some became factory cartridges like 25-06, 243, 7mm08 etc. Some faded away.

The first 75 years of that list there aren't as many new ones per decade, as was point out. However when lathes and milling machines became common place the wildcatters went crazy.

Point is, gun nuts will never find they need just one or two. The quest for perfection will never be satisfied.

Besides, its good for the economy.

I Never Said It Was A NEW Thang!

Yes,It's been a Thing For Quite Some Time!

When I Was Younger a 7MAG or a 300MAG was Kinda Top Notch!

And There Wasn't A Whole Bunch of NEW Calibers/Cartridges Introduced In One Year!

Maybe You Better Get You A New 6.5 NEEDMOOR!:D

Wiki table of cartridges

I learned a lesson during the pandemic.

I've always said 270, 06', 7mm, ,300win, are in every hardware store in the west.

Imagine my shock when it was .308 and 6.5cm.

I shoot a Abolt O6'. Kills everything I hit with it. My oldest shoots a .300win xbolt.

My youngest is talking 6.5 cm, and honestly, I'm not trying g to talk him out of it. Getting kicked ain't that fun.

I’m thinking about a 35 whelan next or a .308 in an ultra light rifle or just getting a 7mm in an ultra light

I dream of the .300 rum for long distance elk gun when I wanna play Tom Clancy

But the 6.5 Grendel in a bolt action will be perfect gun for my kid to shoot for years. Start with the .17 hmr and .22

Last edited:
I learned a lesson during the pandemic.

I've always said 270, 06', 7mm, ,300win, are in every hardware store in the west.

Imagine my shock when it was .308 and 6.5cm.

I shoot a Abolt O6'. Kills everything I hit with it. My oldest shoots a .300win xbolt.

My youngest is talking 6.5 cm, and honestly, I'm not trying g to talk him out of it. Getting kicked ain't that fun.
You have chosen well Hoss. Your son has as well.

…..even google doesn’t remember it
Bing does...

From a shop in Long Beach California from the 1970s (& before?). The 220 Apollo was meant to compete with the 220 Weatherby rocket, both of them improved versions of the Swift. The other Apollo cartridges from 7mm up are long necked versions of the 300 Win mag and very similar to the Mashburn Super series. Ken Howell did have a design for a fast twist 22 but not the same as the Apollo. In a fast twist barrel it would be an interesting cartridge, in a slower twist barrel it would not gain enough over the Swift to be worth the reduced barrel life that would go with it. Just my opinion but bigger than the Swift for light weight bullets passes the point of diminishing returns.

It's not about what we need. It's marketing to sell more guns, ammo and components. They are creating a perceived need in customers.....

The technology curve seems to to have peaked over recent years both in what a firearm can do and what bullets can provide. The thing the PRC line up does is offers an unheard of accuracy-for-caliber using high BC bullets. Gone are the days of needing a 22-250 shooting a 20 grain bullet at 5000 feet per second. Accuracy, speed and ballistics are being perfected. I don't see how the industry will respond in terms of improving on what is currently available.

you do not need the latest greatest to kill something. All the calibers I see mentioned will work and none make you a better hunter but everyone has there preferences for one reason or another. I have a 300 WSM and it is a great gun but I wanted to shoot further than its capability so running different ballistic charts I felt the 28 Nosler was best for the job. Now the 7 PRC is out and its ballistics are very similar but with less recoil so I am considering building one simply to have a rifle roughly 3 pounds lighter which would be nice as my 28 is heavy. That being said I would probably be harvesting the same amount of animals with the 300WSM. I am guilty like most for wanting what we think is the best thing going, I think more than new calibers the bullets themselves have come a long way with crazy BC's now and IMO the 7mm is very hard to beat.

you do not need the latest greatest to kill something. All the calibers I see mentioned will work and none make you a better hunter but everyone has there preferences for one reason or another. I have a 300 WSM and it is a great gun but I wanted to shoot further than its capability so running different ballistic charts I felt the 28 Nosler was best for the job. Now the 7 PRC is out and its ballistics are very similar but with less recoil so I am considering building one simply to have a rifle roughly 3 pounds lighter which would be nice as my 28 is heavy. That being said I would probably be harvesting the same amount of animals with the 300WSM. I am guilty like most for wanting what we think is the best thing going, I think more than new calibers the bullets themselves have come a long way with crazy BC's now and IMO the 7mm is very hard to beat.
7mm saum is where it’s at

The individual not the arrow. You can not cheat physics or mathematics. Efficiency is the same conversation as size.

Getting a new caliber used to be a lot more exciting before it was friking impossible to buy reloading components. Used to be if you needed something you just go buy it so working up a new load/caliber was nice and relaxing. Now when I think about building a new one it’s just stressful. Will I be able to find dies in the next six months? How many primers do I have that aren’t dedicated to other rifles so I could even work up a load?

It’s really too bad. Reloading and messing around with new cartridges is really a great joy for me. I still do it, just did one last year but it’s way more destination driven now than just done to tinker with. Hard to tinker when you can’t get all the right parts real regularly. I’d like to think it will get better one day so then I can start building the newest 7mm BFK’r that comes out but it won’t. I’ll have to see one i really want to put the effort into from here on out

Getting a new caliber used to be a lot more exciting before it was friking impossible to buy reloading components. Used to be if you needed something you just go buy it so working up a new load/caliber was nice and relaxing. Now when I think about building a new one it’s just stressful. Will I be able to find dies in the next six months? How many primers do I have that aren’t dedicated to other rifles so I could even work up a load?

It’s really too bad. Reloading and messing around with new cartridges is really a great joy for me. I still do it, just did one last year but it’s way more destination driven now than just done to tinker with. Hard to tinker when you can’t get all the right parts real regularly. I’d like to think it will get better one day so then I can start building the newest 7mm BFK’r that comes out but it won’t. I’ll have to see one i really want to put the effort into from here on out
Thankfully, rifle primers are slowly becoming available again. They are still taking their sweet time, but we are starting to see them.

This^^^^

While looking for a lightweight rifle (custom build or other), I ran into this over and over. I would decide on one, then look for components, come up empty, then start all over. Sigh...

reloading components being hard to find is in my opinion a reason to go with a well known cartridge. The 7 rem mag for instance, that has been around for decades, is fairly easy to find reloading supplies for, it shoots well and it’s a known killer. So many new cartridges that to me don’t have much benefit. Like the 28 Nosler, sure it’s cool and all and goes a little faster, but on game it’s not making that much of a difference. Same goes with the 7PRC. And the 7mm weatherby magnum and so on. For some reason everybody is trying to make a caliber shoot the heaviest possible bullet, like the 7PRC that can shoot a 195 grain bullet, if we want a heavy bullet why not step up to a 30 cal or something bigger?

At what distance is it shooting vs hunting? I'm not here to judge as there are some bad ass shooters out there that can hit a dime at 1k yards; I'm not one of them. But we as hunters need to come up with some sort of play book for this kind of stuff as technology continues to improve. The resources cant keep up with the technology which will inevitably limit hunting opportunities.

my favorite cal. is the .06 bar none. It's a 400/500 yard gun all day long. if I need to reach out or up the man power, i'll grab the 300 win. the 280 ackley is also fun to shoot but ammo is expensive.

reloading components being hard to find is in my opinion a reason to go with a well known cartridge. The 7 rem mag for instance, that has been around for decades, is fairly easy to find reloading supplies for, it shoots well and it’s a known killer. So many new cartridges that to me don’t have much benefit. Like the 28 Nosler, sure it’s cool and all and goes a little faster, but on game it’s not making that much of a difference. Same goes with the 7PRC. And the 7mm weatherby magnum and so on. For some reason everybody is trying to make a caliber shoot the heaviest possible bullet, like the 7PRC that can shoot a 195 grain bullet, if we want a heavy bullet why not step up to a 30 cal or something bigger?
BC bro it’s how you dirtnap them

At what distance is it shooting vs hunting? I'm not here to judge as there are some bad ass shooters out there that can hit a dime at 1k yards; I'm not one of them. But we as hunters need to come up with some sort of play book for this kind of stuff as technology continues to improve. The resources cant keep up with the technology which will inevitably limit hunting opportunities.

my favorite cal. is the .06 bar none. It's a 400/500 yard gun all day long. if I need to reach out or up the man power, i'll grab the 300 win. the 280 ackley is also fun to shoot but ammo is expensive.
a 30 -06 will shoot what a mile or more if you just pop it off into nowhere? so it will go a 1000 if someone wants to shoot it, just won't perform very well.

that being said here something to ponder. guys are going to keep shooting long distances, that toothpaste isn't going back in the tube no matter how much bitching is had. so that being the case, is it more ethical to have cartridges in those hands that will perform better at those ranges? "ethics" sometimes need to fit within reality of current status. this may be one of those times

wildly liberal perspective i know. flame away

a 30 -06 will shoot what a mile or more if you just pop it off into nowhere? so it will go a 1000 if someone wants to shoot it, just won't perform very well.

that being said here something to ponder. guys are going to keep shooting long distances, that toothpaste isn't going back in the tube no matter how much bitching is had. so that being the case, is it more ethical to have cartridges in those hands that will perform better at those ranges? "ethics" sometimes need to fit within reality of current status. this may be one of those times

wildly liberal perspective i know. flame away
I agree with you. "ethics" means something different to each hunter. Having said that, we all need to be prepared for a strong drop off in opportunities throughout the west; tag allocations, draw odds decrease, point creep etc. in most cases, high success rates and high opportunity rates do not coincide with management objectives. unless you're talking about whitetails.

i've long been a proponent of decreasing season length for modern weapons. that alone will have a great impact. but i think it should be coupled with "worse"dates as well.

give elk ass his muzzle loader scope. just make the season 4 days starting October 6th

i've long been a proponent of decreasing season length for modern weapons. that alone will have a great impact. but i think it should be coupled with "worse"dates as well.

give elk ass his muzzle loader scope. just make the season 4 days starting October 6th
No, let's ban all muzzleloader scopes once and for all. I can almost hear the crying from the basin right now!

Hawkeye

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom