Drew Cranes in Middle Rio Grande Valley - A Few Questions

efnm

It was sure nice to find out that me and 3 buddies drew for sandhill cranes today. I am in that funk where I'm stoked for the guys who get to go hunt elk starting tomorrow but my cow hunt in December feels SOOO far off.

This will be a first time hunt for all of us, so I'm looking for any advice on a hunt that I can't find info about on the web. We're based out of Socorro.

Any particular tactics that work well? I've seen a video about how blinds are handy but that cranes are pretty smart and recognize new blinds to their fields.

How do you all go about getting farm access if you want to hunt a field? Just ask or another method?

Thanks and good luck to everyone this fall.

Drive around before the hunt and knock for permission. G&F can give you some courtesy cards to make it easier to write out permission. We have had great luck laying flat under burlap and pitching a dozen silo socks. They decoy like champs. Shoot the best ammo you can afford in BB or BBB and wait until they look incredibly close or they won't fall. If you can't get permission anywhere touch base and I can give you a spot for good pass shooting. They're a blast to hunt.

Cory

I appreciate that, I'll give you a call sometime - I was about to place an order on decoys but will do that for a future year's hunt.

Have hunted them out of Lubbock many times.

They have great eyes. Hay bale blinds seem to work best if you can get access to one of those. 2 slabs of fast grass on hog panel will work to to make a flip open A frame blind.
Layouts work second best, followed by covering up with burlap.

Here's what the front of an A frame looks like:

543896_10151466105007718_1577770254_n.jpg

Sillo socks are good, some guys run stuffers. You can call or not, I can trill on a spec call and get close enough that they'll talk to me. I think it can help, especially on juvees.
If you've never put out a waterfowl spread, space they 3-4 feet apart or farther and take care not to put them in a straight line.

425992_10150646577972718_89930880_n.jpg

Don't try to hunt the same field 2 days in a row, they get smart really fast.

Keep shooting till they hit the ground, very tough birds.

Congrats man, I drew it again this year.I hunted the Nov hunt last year and was told it wasn't as good , but we had birds all around us and we both limited out by 7:30, but last year we were only allowed 2 birds a day.This year we get 3 birds, 6 total and I drew the same hunt.It's such a fun hunt, and the size of the greaters is incredible,they are huge!!!!

Well, thanks to Cory, I had some decoys and some more from another friend. We had a lot of passing shots but only got 2 birds to come in to the decoys and my buddy got both of them, including one nearly 14 lbs that a Texan was trying to buy off him at the check-in station.

4 lessons learned:

Camo is key as are decoys.

In October we simply don't have any or many cranes in Socorro area and you have to get up by Belen. I'll put in for November or later hunts next time.

I really, REALLY need to practice my shotgun skills.

Cory is awesome for helping out a fellow MMer with the decoy loan.

I drew the late Nov hunt last year and again this year and there was plenty of birds....We used decoys last year but I wont use them this year cuz the land owner said they fly to his place and over it regardless....His is a working alfalfa property sp they are out working and he said the birds fly .....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom