Drew the tag....Now make it rain

nightstalker

drew my 1st choice Gila elk tag and I know the unit well. I know what i need to do to get ready. The Bow is dead nuts. I'm running 5 min miles. Got the okay from work for 2 weeks in sept. The ol lady says she goin crazy from all the elk dvds i've been watchin. Hintin buddy is divorced now and has more passion for our hunt than ever before. So what's wrong?

Well after a good winter it looks like the gila is bone dry with no rain in sight. I know its only mid June but i'm already kinda worried about fire restrictions, forest closures, fires, pencil horned 5x5s, etc. etc.

What have all u ol timers noticed when things get really dry down there? I remember a few years back there was a really dry winter/spring and a wet late summer and there were still some whoppers dropped. I'm thinking the bulls just adapt and travel farther for water.

To me that would mean it would be a good year to find the waterholes they are using and situp blinds on water and wait for elk to come in. If it hurts the horns some it might pull a 380 class back to a 358 type class bull which is still a great bull in my eyes.So if I have a choice I will take knowing where they water vs the unknown of them being anywhere in the Unit.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom