drop away or whisker biscuit?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-09 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p]What do you use it the most for? Hunting? 3D? S&S? Treestand?...

It's the Ford/Dodge/Chevy discussion....

Both work and both have their followers. Here is my personal take. I like to shoot as much helical as I can, especially with broadheads. Fletchings with a lot of helical do not shoot through the whiskers very well in my experience. I prefer a drop away and complete clearance.

I've worn out a few WBs and they are non-moving solid rests that give good accuracy for hunting situaions. The arrow doesn't easily fall out, and there is nothing to break.
I have used a QAD Ultra HD for the last year, and I've been pretty impressed. I've never had a malfunction, the arrow is unable to fall out when cocked, and I have noticed a bit better accuracy....

If you like the dummyproofness of the WB, get it. If you want absolutely no contact and exact repeatability with every shot; but dont mind a couple moving parts, get a drop away.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I would have to go with the drop away, I have had the Rip Cord on my last 3 bows and I have never had a problem with it. I also think a drop away is more forgiving, if you have a bad release your arrow does not hit the rest.

both are good...........
depending on what your skill level is. and what your doing.

WB... too easy put arrow in shoot. only draw back is that they hate duravanes! had to go to blazers

Drop more parts to fail but very good. i like it more every time i shoot it

your skill level is what is important, in my usage, i did not noticed anything better about my new ripcord until out past 40 yards, my groups are smaller now with a drop away. and i am by no means a bow expert/pro.

i kept my WB in case something bad happens while on the mountain.

but for 80 bucks the ripcord is super.

live life one mule deer at a time.

Whisker biscuits are for guys that can't shoot good enough to tell the difference between a drop away and a biscuit. If you could you would put the biscuit away and grab a drop away!

I have never seen a biscuit on a bow in Vegas! I have never seen a biscuit in fact on any top archers bow in any tournament. This speaks volumes to me.

but that is just my 2 cents

i am going to voice my disagreement with the last comment.
just because the pros in vegas don't use a biscuit does not mean that it is bad.

3-d rigs are NOT hunting rigs.
never in all my life have i seen a hunter using a 3-D rig in the field, 3 foot stabilizers, fancy colors and light arrows.

for ease of use, simplicity, and durability the WB is high above the rest.
in the harshest environments the whisker biscuit is still going to work.

and to say it is for guys who cant shoot good, thats not really a fair comment. lots of guys shoot them and they kill their deer and elk every year.

there is a reason it is the top selling rest on the market.

i have both and like both, for different reasons,

my advice. shoot them both or everything you can, then decide, don't just do it cuz the pros do it.

I guess I came off kind of harsh in my previous post stating my 2 cents.

Rifle I didnt want to offend anyone. I am not trying to argue with you just having some fun at your expense :)

Rifle says
?3-d rigs are NOT hunting rigs.
never in all my life have i seen a hunter using a 3-D rig in the field, 3 foot stabilizers, fancy colors and light arrows.?

In the grand scheme of things most 3d rigs are hunting bows

I don't own a 3 foot stabilizer on my 3d rigs and 95% of the 3D guys don't either.

Color doesn't mean it is more accurate than camo it just means it blings more

I can shoot good enough to tell the difference so therefore you won't see a biscuit on any of my bows.

As for hunting they are probably fine out to 30-35 yards but on my hunting rigs I want something that can put my arrow in the twelve ring so to speak on live animals and this is why I shoot a drop away. I feel animals deserve more respect then foam and if biscuits don't make the grade on foam than it sure won't make the grade on any of my hunting bows.

That was just my opinion on the previous post. I didn't want to offend anyone who uses the biscuit. The biscuit has a following and a lot of guys like them. I however think they suck and besides if you use a biscuit you wont be able to shoot one of these 100 yard bad boys.
a4200e43.jpg

LOL

i agree mostly...
no hard feelings

go shoot them all and pick what you like best.

Watch this video on youtube

I think that will prove that the bisquit is very accurate. However, I do get better groups with the ripcord, but thats just me.

I have shot both. The Whisker Biscuit is awesome but it now stays on my son's bow. With his awkward draw I would not want anything else on for safety reasons. I like the way it is a total capture rest and quiet. When I bought my new bow I went with the Ripcord and I was shocked at the tighter groups at longer ranges. I do a lot of practicing at the longer ranges and shoot 3-D with my hunting bow. I have total confidence in the repeatability of each shot. They are both great but I prefer the drop-away at this stage in my bowhunting carear.

Rod

I like the wisker but have not tried the drop away.
Used to use the prong very noisy.Whatever works for you.

Safe hunting

muskie

The main reason the drop aways are more accurate is that your arrow starts out at in the same position on every shot. On a whisker B the arrow may or may not start out in the same position, depending on the flexing of the bristles. Both are durable and get the job done but the drop away will win the accuracy game 99% of the time like many have mentioned. Rifle I agree with your 3D statement to some extent on the stabilizers and such in the open class. But those boys in the classes that shoot pins are more than likely shooting their hunting bows if they're camo. They may have a backup but they know how they shoot and that's the one they normally are going to use especially since they shoot pins in that class and it's a setup they have confidence in and it's more than likely the most accurate rig they own.

i did notice something this week that i have never noticed before.

all arrows shot from the same distance all rotated exactly the same, the ##### vane was within an 1/16 of the rest in relative clock position.

i thought that was pretty cool,
i don't know if any other rest will do the same, ( i never thought to look)

ripcord is really winning me over.

Right on the money, Rod. It works really well (WB) for a kid just learning to draw and not worrying about keeping the arrow in place (or an adult who has a little bit of the "shakes" associated with buck fever)for awhile. Drop away all the way for pure accuracy!

This weekend I replaced my Whisker Biscuit and put on a Quality Archery Design Ultra-Rest Pro drop away.

After getting everything dialed in, my groups, especially over 40 yards starting getting smaller. By Sunday I had a 3" group at 40 yards and a 5.5" inch group at 60 yds. I never was able to group this well over 40 yards with the WB.

This particular drop away does capture the arrow, but will rattle on your sight when tipped upside down. I will probably put some felt on the bottom of the sight.

I will always be a WB fan but if the new drop away consistantly works the way it does currently, I have been converted.

Ed
4a08471b561c59d8.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

whisker biscuits. I really like drop aways but when your hunting and you have to draw back quick the drop away will flip your arrow off. i had this happen 3 times last year twice on the same mule deer different days and once on a 140 whitetail. i like them both but for hunting senarios Whisker biscuit all the way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom