Drop camp or outfitter in unit 73?

Pcjr21

Does anyone know of an outfitter that does drop camps in unit 73 I know there used to be some guys in the area that did it? Do they still do it?
Other than bear paw outfitters, the guy said they don't do it anymore.

Have you hunted unit 73 before? Not sure you need a drop camp, s it isn't far from the trailhead to the top and access is good.

Yea, I know the unit real well other than the top of elk horn, i thought there was a few places to hide. I know last few years the camps have not done very well. I have never been on top of elk and I thought there was a spot or two that you needed a horse to get to that a ATV could not. But I guess why mess up something that's working!
Some people in town have told me about a few good bucks killed a few years ago in the area, I would love to got more info if someone could P.M. Me and I could run what I know by you to trade some info!!!!

I live and work in the malad area and know the unit very well. There were some good bucks around when the hunting was restricted. Now its unlimited and gets pounded.There are atv roads almost everywhere. There are not any outfitters working in the unit that I know of. Are you local?

Just have hunted the unit for a few years but never had time to make to the top of elk horn, just have never needed to, but want to try that part of the unit. I thought there was some area on top I was missing. Last year we hunted a little in Kent's and back in that area were its is crazy steep but never seen a deer the whole time, but that area has little to no water. I want to try the canyon to the west of Kent's that is almost un-hunt able, I don't know anyone that has ever tried in there!

The top of Elkhorn is a long narrow rocky ridge. The way to get on top is up the atv road from summit campground. From that saddle you walk up to the south. On top you find a stack of flat rocks, add one to it if you like. From there you can see everything. you can get to the bottom of most of the westside canyons by 4wd. That area was 2pt only for many years, which did allow a lot of Bucks to mature. When they did open a 5 day big buck season it was unlimited and late Oct. It only took a couple years to kill them off. Since then F+G has tried several methods to improve quality with little success. Now the season is short and early for any buck.With it having unlimited tags and being so close to Utah Its now getting too much pressure to allow for many bucks to mature. However if you hunt hard in some of those tougher to get to spots you could make it happen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom