dropping out of Oregon?

Christian

If you are dropping out of Oregon due to double license fee in a poor non-resident opportunity state (5% cap on NR?!) please reply to the post on this forum or the Mule Deer forum titled "my email to Oregon."

I'm sending in a printed copy of the post with my goodbye letter.

The Christian

I'm out for this year, but if I can afford it, next year I'll be putting in for antelope, as I have 11 points I would like to burn, before I give up on Oregon altogether.

THANK YOU OREGON I HAVE BEEN DEBATING FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS WETHER OR NOT TO CONTINUE CHASING POINTS IN YOUR STATE. I HAVE BEEN APPLYING FOR POINTS ONLY SINCE 2000. LUCKY FOR ME YOU HAVE MADE THE DECISION EASY THIS YEAR. DOUBLING THE LICENSE FEE AND NEAR DOUBLING THE TAG COSTS HELPED ME MAKE UP MY MIND, I AM OUTA HERE! YOU WILL NOT BE SEEING ANOTHER RED CENT FROM ME AND MANY THAT I TALK TO FROM MY AREA ARE DOING THE SAME THING.SO CONGRAGULATIONS MAYBE YOU CAN DEVELOP ANOTHER GREAT IDEA FOR RAISING FUNDS LIKE TREATING YOUR RESIDENT HUNTERS LIKE YOU DO US NONRESIDENTS. IF YOU RAISE THEIR FEES HIGH ENOUGH YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RUN THEM OUT OF YOUR STATE ALSO. WOULDN'T THAT BE GREAT. THEN YOU CAN TAX EVERYBODY IN PORTLAND AND OTHER CITIES IN THE STATE TO RUN YOUR OUTSTANDING BUREAUCRATIC CONUNDRUM. GOOD DAY

OK. IM should be either "I am" or "I'm." thats should be "that's". wanna should be "want to".

How did I do??????????

Is this a friggin huntin website or a spelling bee?????

for sure a hunting website, if it was a spelling bee, i would not have even made the first cut...........

but back to the topic.

if i was a non-resident, and if i wasn't right close to drawing my tag, i'd be outta here/ or cashing in for a for sure drawing tag and just see what happens. if you dont have 8+ points, it's a lost cause IMO. ( and 8 really aint looking so hot)

I have 12 points for across the board. I have debated giving up on oregon many of times . If you have the points to draw , that dont mean anything in oregon. If you have a big pocket of cash then you get the tag. I have a big stack of letters from oregon , stating SORRY NO TAG BEING ISSUED TO N.R. this year the outfitters have tooking your chance at the draw for there clients. To me this is the big stinking problem. I will pay there extra fees , Iam a hunter and I hunt. but give us the chance in a honest way of drawing these stinking tags. This is almost like abomma care. sorry my spelling sucks also . this is just not oregon doing this to us ,thow there are the worst . Last year I called them becuase I put my youth in for a youth hunt , got to letters on that . even youth tags go to outfitters , wow. the ladie in o.d.f.w. even agreed that this was not right nor fare in anyway. she was truly embarrased about oregons way of doing this . but the creepers in the higher up make the choices.
next time maybe they can take us to dinner before fu--ing us.

this is a hot topic for me as a former resident of Oregon because i am so disappointed for my home state. the new cost structure to hunt in oregon versus the quality is out of balance. The risidual ecomomic effect that will occur because of this will effect those who hunt and for those who do not. it effects my family, small communities, the Oregon "brand" and much more.

I archery hunt Oregon and am sitting on 8 points.

there is virtually no chance that i will get drawn for ww, weneha in the next 30 years or mount emily within the next 5 years.

i am partnering up with two other out of state hunters next year (2011) for elk who have less points but we average enough to draw sled springs. after that i am done with oregon elk.

I have 5 points for deer and am going to burn those on a muzzle loader hunt in 2011 after that i am done with deer.

I have 8 points for lope and am going to point save 2010 and 2011 and should draw hunt in 2012 then i am done with lope and OREGON.

ODFW and the State of Oregon has there head so far up there nose.

I would still pay the higher cost if i would have a reasonable chance at being drawn but that is not the case.

so by me leaving Oregon and my hunting partners from out of state going elsewhere lets do the rough math for three. who would general season archery hunt until we were succesful in drawing a quality elk tag.

tag 500 (elk only because deer hunting is so poor)
license 140
apps 32 (elk, deer, lope, sheep)
PDX Tax ??
gas 100
food 150
other 100

equals $1032 X 3= $3486 going to another state.

this does not even account for the family camp trip to my hunting area during the summer when i scout, spend money in town, groceries, gas, tram ride, eat out in joseph, spend money at a restaurant or two for lunch, but a few things from my friends at the sports corral. bumper boats for the kids, shower at the lake, etc. etc. etc.

thanks in advance this is the longest post i have ever made on any website.

I apolgize in advance for my spelling and grammer

~~scomp25~~~

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-10 AT 10:42PM (MST)[p]well i just wanna thank you all for dropping out maybe it'll make the odds better for me, who knows, LOL.

seriously its bad just about in every mule deer state, maybe the deer will come back in 10 years?

less funding equals less enforcement equals more poaching equals less game equals less opportunity to kill a animal.

so your odds go up to be drawn but less animals to hunt.

be careful for what you ask for.

short term this will be benficial for those whose stick with oregon but long term there must be some concerns for residents and non residents in my opinion.

@ 10 elk, 12 deer and antelope, I'll play another couple of years and reevaluate. Not sure I can keep puttin my son (7 deer/elk/antelope) in or even my wife (2 deer/elk/antelope)

And once I/we draw, BYE BYE!!!!!!!

What's hilarious about all of this is that for the most part it's "bye bye" in ANY state after you draw. Like your going to draw the Henry's or Srip 2x or even a good quality tag in Nevada! The only part of this I agree with is that the % of tags should be higher for NR's. After that the price is NOT out of line with other states at all. As far as quality goes I see bitches about almost every other state on here as well, espcially about deer. I hear nothing good coming from Idaho, everyone's pissed in Utah because there's too many elk and not enough deer. You can't get drawn in Arizona and the deer herds are poor in California. So that leaves CO, MT and WY. Colorado has some great units but the best require LOTS of points. Montana has a high percentage of private lands that require going through an outfitter and the overall numbers are fine but the quality is below average because they hunt the living squat out of the deer in November during the rut. Wyoming is fine in certain areas but I've hunted a few spots and there isn't a 30" buck behind every tree there either. So maybe it's just related to Supply / Demand and the cycle of quality and hunters will move around with the cycle. So don't apply in Oregon but I just don't think that will have the impact that is suggested. What Oregon needs is to kill the cats by allowing dogs again, burn some areas to promote some food quality (I've seen this on the Steens) and thin a few timber stands to lessen the fire danger that completely wipes out the escape shelter most deer need. A few more road closures during the seasons would help as well. Oregon also needs it's Mule Deer Foundation to really step up and push here. The OHA group is completely worthless and always has been. Lastly if we need to maybe we should just "shut it down" for a few years to help.

On a different topic while it might not be important for our spelling and grammar to be somewhat intelligent sounding on this site it would be nothing but harmful for our "outside" communications to read like the IQ of a 2nd grader!

Damer, being you are a long ways out on a good tag, you won't mind helping me out in the Wenaha this year!!!!

Back
Top Bottom