Drought Year Again

AZ4life

I was really hoping to not see this again this year.

Looks like Northern Arizona is mostly between 0-25% of normal over the last 60 days with 0% chance of rain in the next 10 days...

4545rain2.jpg

Of course it is a drought year, because I have a tag! Everybody knows if I draw a tag there will be record high temps and extreme drought throughout the southwest. Southern Region Utah hunters are keeping fingers crossed I am unsuccessful in the soon to be released draw results.

Just a normal year in the Southwest. People forget we live in a desert. The climate history of the Southwest is dominated by droughts, with a couple of wet years thrown in every decade or so. Nothing out of the norm. Been going on here for 40,000 years!

The only difference now, there are a few million people here to notice. :)

That map didn't look anything like that in 2010 or 2011. That much red isn't normal. Also the reason why there are percents on the side is cause it's based against an average. We are well below average this year just like last year. I would be very concerned with this map if your planning on hunting mule deer this year.

The whole point of the map is to show that it is not a normal year, but far worse than a normal year for spring moisture.

Right, not normal to us. But thats based on what, 100 years of data?

That was my point of my post. We tend to look at it through our own experience, living 80-90 years and coming to a determination that something is wrong with the weather. When in fact, the weather is doing what it's always been doing for millions of years. :)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Sorry about that.

Good luck to all the tag holders!

Here is the scoop Re: Arizona Strip . 13b is very comparable to what 2011 was , pretty good . 13a however , very disappointing . 13b received about 4x's to 5x's more precipitation than 13a did . Of the 11 storms that I have recorded since December , most of the Storms fizzled out as it was approaching the Hurricane Cliffs (13a) region. 13b, there is a lot of New vegetation growth, Cliff Rose especially is very wet/lush and vibrant . 13a , not much New growth at all . The Buck on 13b looking Great , 13a Bucks not so much .

I wouldn't call it a drought year. The spring has been dry, but the winter here in Flagstaff seemed about average on snowfall. If it stays dry, the elk might have shorter tops than normal, but I don't think that their antlers will be that affected.

Unit 1 doesnt seem to be affected by the drought as much as the other units, due to location and elevation. Snow stays later, better monsoons etc.

Thanks tooele, that is what I had heard, but thanks for confirming. September can't get here soon enough!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom