Dual Dovetail Scope Mounts??

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-08 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]Sorry if this is a dumb question but I figure you guys can answer this. Lately I've seen a number of rifles and the guys have mounted their scopes with dual dovetail Leupold scope bases. Are they just buying 2 sets of bases and 2 sets of rings and using the dovetail parts from each?? I know that I have never really liked or figured out why you have the windage scews on the back so this looks like a good stronger solution. In I right or am I missing something??
Thanks

Leupold sells them and they're called just what they are, dual dovetail mounts. you can get them for the more popular rifles but not just everything, as far as I'm concerned they're the best.

You might also want to look at Leupold's PWR rings and bases. They are a weaver style and a few more bucks, but I think they are stronger and worth the extra weight and money. JMO

Thanks for the info - I guess I should have checked their website. I just never have seen them in any sporting goods stores or some online sales, they just all carry the regular ones.

Just make sure they are equally straight. Use a tube or round bar to check before tightening down the scope. I have used them, but don't see the need over their standard bases/rings.

I've used the DD bases and rings for a while and also worked on many rifles with them, one thing I see often especially with Higher recoiling rifles is that the dovetails will loosen up a little bit causing your scope to move slightly. After seeing this I stopped using them all together. I might look at the the bases and rings that talley makes. They will run about $90-$100 but it is definitely worth every penny. They are a solid system and also look very nice. Also I would recommend if you want to take it a step further Lap the rings. When you do this to any of the rings whether it is a $10 ring or a $200 ring you will see that you are not getting much contact between scope and ring. I say when lapping you want a minimum of 33% full contact with the ring on the scope. you can get scope lapping kits from Sinclair for around $35 and they will last a lifetime for most.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom