Dutton muzzy bull elk tag

utahbigbull

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-10 AT 09:52AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-10 AT 09:50?AM (MST)

I lucked out due to someone elses misfortune and was told by the Utah DWR I was first in line for a reallocated permit for a Dutton muzzle elk tag. Someone had to hand in thier tag and they wanted to know if I was interested in purchasing the tag. I just recieved the tag in the mail, have made two quick day and a half trips down there and wondering if anyone that has some time on that mountain would be generous enough to give some tips. I always hunt the Manti's and was talked into a Dutton tag by my friend & "guide". Now that my "guide" is now deployed in that National guard and might not make it back in time, I am kinda getting nervous but here is a bull I found July 3rd.
8867mt._dutton_014.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-10 AT 03:08PM (MST)[p]Well, I guess that makes two of us. I hope all the years I have spent on the Manti can have some sort of use down there lol. Hopefully I can find someone here with experience there that is willing to help out a fellow hunter with a few tips.

I drew a Dutton Muzzy tag last year and turned it back for health reasons. Wild West Outfitters was going to give me a good deal on a hunt. Given all the posts on the Dutton, sure seems the quality has fallen off in the past few years...

The elk are there, just depends on the type of bull you are looking for. I have the LE archery tag there this year and have been scouting a lot. I have some camera pics of one bull that is close to 340 but that is the only bull i have seen that will go over 300. What are your season dates? Shoot me a pm and we can talk more about areas.

Mike

Three years ago my friend and brother both had muzzle tags and he got a 330 which I say is more 315 to 320 but supposedly his brother got a 387. Then to boot, his dad drew the tag the following year and got skunked. I just hope I didn't waste my points on an area I am not framiliar with. What bulls I have seen are not extremly promising for what this area is supposed to hold. But I do have to say trying to find nice bulls in June / July is pretty damn hard. What time I have been there I definitley found they were in the thick timber and not budging untill the last minutes of daylight and shortly after sun up, they were back in it. Just wish it was closer than 5 hours so I could spend more time there.

I agree the quality is still there. Get off the roads in the deep canyons you will be surprised. PM sent

You are welcome to give me a ring and we can talk. I hunted it in 07 and did well. There are still very good bulls there.

801 861 7286

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom