DWR incompetence…what’s new?

all4freedom

I received an email stating I hadn’t completed a harvest survey for a antlerless hunt I had drawn and I was past the 30 day window. However if I paid $50 and completed the survey I would remain eligible for upcoming draws. The freaking hunt in question ends tomorrow 😂 Makes you wonder how well the applications, money, and draw process is overseen.

what's 'pretty good actually' with any of that middlefork? the hunts not over, how the hey can they say you have to pay $50 to be able to apply next year when the seasons not even over?

Same crap I get every year with 200 phone calls and a dozen emails for my gen season elk and deer tags that I only get to hunt the extended on that's not over until the end of Nov and the 15th of Dec.

Stop wasting my tag and application fees on such crap when the reason I got the tag was to hunt to the end if need be.

Stop wasting our money trying to call me in Sept when I've proven there's virtually no chance I've ever harvested anything on one of the tags in my life much less by Sept :)

Petes

Pretty sure it was a reminder and anybody with common sense could understand it was an error. It got corrected pretty quick.

It's pretty good actually.
Pretty sure that was just a reminder. But sure go ahead and complain.
“Pretty sure that was a reminder?” I’m absolutely sure you’re wrong.
The hunting season for your permit has ended, and we have not yet received the harvest survey required for your hunt. (Surveys must be submitted within 30 days of the final day of the hunting season listed on your permit.)

Although the 30-day window has now passed, you still have an opportunity to complete your harvest survey. You can restore your eligibility to apply for next year’s permits by paying a $50 late fee and submitting your harvest report at wildlife.utah.gov/harvestreporting or by calling 800-221-0659. If you choose not to submit the survey, you will not be eligible to apply for antlerless hunts or their respective points in 2024.

Pretty sure it was a reminder and anybody with common sense could understand it was an error. It got corrected pretty quick.
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong and it wasn’t a reminder. The mistake was made by an organization that handles your applications was the point.

I’m pretty sure you’re wrong and it wasn’t a reminder. The mistake was made by an organization that handles your applications was the point.
I got the same emails.

I guess if you want to get worked up about an automated email that went out go for it.

It wasn’t that hard to understand what the intent was, even if there was a glitch in some dates.

Systems Consultants (SC) (aka: Utah Administrative Wildlife Services) is on contract with the DWR for, among other things, providing and manning seven phone lines and 1 fax line 24/7 from January 31 to December 31 of every year, so they don't have as many personnel on board, and they don't work at night during that one-month gap, which is where we are now. Yet, they managed to catch the errors and correct them quickly. I'd say they were "pretty good".

Edited: And as for them wasting your tag and application fees, NONE of your tag money goes to that and only $3.01 of the application fees goes to Systems Consultants who:
1- Keeps track (name, address, phone, email address, DOB, gender, weight, hair color, eye color, social security number, drivers license, tags, points, waiting periods, hunter education, Lifetime license, Dedicated Hunter, residency, child support payments, felonies, and citizenship of ALL hunters who have a DWR ID number.
2- Sends postcards/emails to all of the above reminding them of hunts and upcoming hunts.
4- Provides and staffs the 7 phone lines and 1 fax line.
5- Verify and collect all application fees.
6- Conduct the draws using all eligible applicants' numbers. (Remember, there's more than one draw!)
7- Keeps track of every successful winner. Sends out the notifications of Successful AND Unsuccessful (Also keep an alternate list of applicants.)
8- Verify and collect all permit fees.
9- Attempt 5 times to collect declined credit card fees from credit card company. Attempt to contact applicant 4 times to collect permit fee. Assign any tags with uncollected fees to alternate applicants.
(The task list on the contract is too long to list on this post but be aware that nearly all of the things you think DWR is doing, is being done by SC.) $3.01 per applicant sounds like a bargain to me!

Last edited:
In mid December while out duck hunting, I got a email notification during the morning hunt saying my combination license was expired and I needed to get a new one. In a slight panic I checked my license since I was almost positive it was still valid. Physical license printed on it says it expires 2/10/2024. Their little email notifications and reminders needs some fine tuning… as does just about anything else DWR related.

Hey Bux?

Did It Say EXPIRED?

Or Going To EXPIRE?

You Gotta Quit Getting QUACKER Fever!:D
IMG_4885.png

Does the contractor in Nevada get a percentage of the $50 late fee?
Not specifically. It is written on the contract (Task 19) and becomes part of the $3.01 per application the contractor gets.

"Task 19. ........Late harvest surveys will be required to pay a $50 late fee in order to report and retain eligibility. Contractor will provide the mechanism for collecting the late fee in conjunction with the harvest report web site."

In other words, those late notices were sent to you by a computer that had the hiccups! :giggle:

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom