DWR range rides in all regions

Amy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-11 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]Our biologists are heading out across the state on range rides. They're assessing the condition of the range in individual units and picking up any winter kill they come across. There are rides planned for most weekdays (and even a few weekends) between now and Memorial Day. Rides are occurring in multiple regions simultaneously. There are so many scheduled that I'm not going to list them all here (and the dates may shift), but here are just some of the areas we'll be looking at:
[ul]
[li]Browns Park[/li]
[li]Donkey Flat[/li]
[li]Cache*[/li]
[li]Rabbit Gulch WMA[/li]
[li]Big Park[/li]
[li]Monroe/Annabella[/li]
[li]Santaquin Draw/Sand Wash[/li]
[li]Morgan South-Rich, East Canyon*[/li]
[li]San Juan[/li]
[li]Plateau, Fishlake/Sage Flat[/li]
[li]Fillmore Pahvant/Maple Hollow[/li]
[li]Paunsaugunt[/li]
[li]Henry Mountains[/li]
[li]Carr Fork WMA[/li]
[li]Anthro[/li]
[li]Manti[/li]
[li]Manti (SR portion)[/li]
[li]Kamas*[/li]
[li]Beaver, Marysvale[/li]
[li]Pine Valley-Enterprise North Hills[/li]
[li]Sheep Creek area (off of Hwy. 6)[/li]
[li]Settlement Canyon[/li]
[li]Panguitch Lake Unit[/li]
[li]Farm Creek[/li]
[li]Rock Springs Mesa[/li]
[/ul]

If you're interested in riding along on one of these range assessments, please contact the regional office of the area you're interested in.

*Most of the northern region units do not have range rides/assessments scheduled yet because of snowpack.

Amy,
Thanks for posting this oppourtunity for us to take part in what usually goes unseen. Seems like a great way to educate ourselves on what the biologists are seeing and may need to know about. There are many of us already spending time shed hunting and preseason scouting that may be able to provide feedback and save the department fuel. I know I encountered a few winter kill when I took my pack for a walk (i.e. shed hunting).

What are the main benefits that the department hopes to get by involving the general public other than education? What other benefits does this have for the department?

I know for many arm chair activists it is easier to operate in ignorance, but I would guess most members here would love to help in the process of improvement.

I hope that I can line up a weekend ride along in May.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Inviting MMers on ride alongs with the DWR?? Each officer will be given two bottles of tylenol to supress the headaches lol...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/zFix.jpg[/IMG] ~Z~

Pay close attention never_catch!

They are Professional Gamblers that never lose!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

From South_slope: What are the main benefits that the department hopes to get by involving the general public other than education? What other benefits does this have for the department?

As you've mentioned, Jeremy, the education factor is very important. Many people think that if there's sagebrush in sight, then the deer have adequate habitat. That's not necessarily the case. Sagebrush loses much of its nutritional value the older it gets, and deer need different types of forage at different times of the year.

In addition to education, we also hope to get a better idea of range conditions heading into spring. We won't be collecting hard data on these trips ? just taking a look at the range, any visible animals and winter kill to get a clearer picture of how the herds will do this year. If you'd like to see in-depth range data, check out the range trend portion of our website at http://wildlife.utah.gov/range/statewide_management_units.htm

I hope you're able to ride along on one of the trips!

From HorseCreek: Do you have a link to find out all the other range rides?

Because the details are subject to so many possible changes, we won't be posting a comprehensive list of locations, dates or travel methods. (Right now, there are about 50 different locations.) A list would likely be outdated by the time we got it online, and then it could change on a daily (or sometimes hourly) basis.

Your best bet is to call the regional office for the area(s) you're interested in. (The regional office numbers are listed at http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/about-us/contact-us.html.) You can find out which rides are planned and scheduled, learn how the biologist plans to travel, let them know you're interested, and ask to be notified if any of the details change. That's also what we'll be recommending in the news release we plan to send out this week.

Amy, good on you for having the sack to come in here with all us clowns, not me of course, but all these other clowns!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom