Eagle and Little Ram

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-14 AT 08:05PM (MST)[p]So this ram didn't appear to be feeling too well, he'd peeled off by himself and hadn't moved much for a few days. One afternoon a golden eagle kept bombing him whenever he was on his feet, and the ram would kinda weakly try and butt the bird as it swooped close

Eagle finally seemed to lose interest and soared off, so the ram bedded down...few minutes later the eagle hovers down the face above the ram a few feet off the ground and lands 30-40 feet behind him. Eagle then proceeded to stalk ram on foot until he'd gotten right right up on him

7742img_4792.jpg

6682img_4796.jpg

Eagle then kinda furtively probed ram with his beak in a way that looked like he was going to try to start feeding on him, whereupon the ram lurched to his feet and tried to butt the bird that was now scrambling to take flight. Ram watched eagle fly off and then plopped right back down where he was laying, but this time surveying the way the wily raptor had snuck in on him

4645img_4797.jpg

It was pretty wild...wish I had better photos, or better still, some video

Weird yet cool for sure.
Interesting sequence of events.
Makes a guy wonder what was ailing the ram.
Thanks GW,
Zeke

Those Goldens are badass....

It is clear what is wrong with the Ram GW normally names rams names like Thor, Hammertime, Gladiator and Slam....he called this guy Little Ram and hurt his feelings...

So "little ram" was just pouting? That makes perfect sense to me.
That would have been quite an event to see.

Hey AW, notice I called it a ram? Not a tur, not an ibex, not a goat, not an oryx. I got one right this time! Man, I must be getting long in the tooth. haha

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-14 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]Heh, you guys ;)

Got a kick outta the names AW...frikken HAMMERTIME?? :)

But yes, them eagles are pretty bad ass beasts...seen em messing with the lamb nursery groups before, but never actually seen one snatch a nipper...the babysitter ewes are pretty astute

Like I said, don't rightly know what was wrong with the little dude...wasn't coughing or limping or anything, just seemed a bit depleted no. Eagle seemed to have figured he was a bit compromised as well. Who knows, maybe he WAS only pouting after getting knocked back by another punk, or maybe he'd just gotten a bad sandwich...I couldn't certainly tell ya

Anyway, I'm sure everyone's seen it, but heres a vid of goldens killing Asian wolves on the Mongol wastes:

Cheers'

**edit---damn link better work now!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom