Early 3rd season in 2014

Muleys24Seven

I've hunted the same 3rd season unit three years in a row now and I'm debating going this year...mainly due to the early dates of the 3rd season (and cost). The last three years have progressively declined for me.

2011 (Nov 5-13th)- Medium snow levels, cool weather, high deer #'s, good rutting activity, hunt defintley got better with time.

2012 (Nov 3-11th)- Warm and no snow until last 3 days, medium deer numbers, some good bucks throughout the week, last two days of the hunt in snow were great.

2013 (Nov 2-10th)- Medium snow, cool weather, low deer #'s, little to no rut activity, saw no big bucks, tough hunt.

2014 (Nov 1-9th)???

I'd like to hear what others think of how important the season dates are to them... Or is the weather the more significant factor?

Well I'm definitely not an expert, but I have hunted the last 4 third seasons as well. My opinion, is that it is a little of both. This year(2013)was much better for me than the previous year as far as number of deer and quality bucks, I attribute that primarily to the storm that came in right before the third season started. As the season progressed this year, the hunting seemed to get worse than the first 3-4 days. The only thing I can attribute that is to the weather, as it progressively got warmer through the season, but also could be the hunting pressure as well. The year before, 2012, we had no weather whatsoever and it was a tough hunt all the way through, although I killed my best buck out of those 4 years in that season. He was rutting hard and I was hunting in a tee shirt. However, that was the only decent buck I saw, and not a ton of deer. I don't think anyone can debate that when you get snow, the hunting is better period. Deer are moving, easier to locate, etc.I have seen some dandy bucks killed in the second season after a good snow. Obviously the later the hunt, the better chance that the weather will come in.The best buck I saw was in 2010 when it was even a day later, late dates, good snow, and a lot of rut activity. I definitely think the earlier dates mean less of a chance of snow, and less rut activity. However, not going means you have zero chance of killing a buck. Nothing you can do about the dates, the weather, or when the bucks start rutting. You just have to go and hope for the best and adjust your hunting to the conditions. My $.02.

I've been hunting Colorado's 3rd season since 2000 for elk up high. In those years we have had no snow on two years. Some years it has snowed well during the 2nd or even the 1st season. Most years we get snow during or immediately before the 3rd. When you look at predicting the weather for any one year, you can't, its random. But overall, over many years, you will have snow during that season.

I like the later dates due to higher probability of some snow and more rutting activity. That being said, the weather is completely unpredictable. You could be wearing a t-shirt one day and the next you get 6" of snow. I've been snowed on in the 2nd season and had great hunting then had seasons like the 2012 and 2013 where it was t-shirt weather during 2nd season.
Maybe take a look at the moon phase as well. Full moon and clear skies can make it tougher to find deer moving around during the day too.

In general the later date favors the rut. The 3rd season is always on the front edge, so the longer the hunt goes the more likely you will see hot rut activity.
The weather makes bucks more visible because rutting bucks don't like to be out in the heat. If it's hot, they are still rutting but only at night or early and late, when it is cool. Warm weather puts the big bucks in the trees close to the does.
Later dates are always better in my mind, but cold weather always helps get the deer on their feet. Can't predict the weather a year in advance.

Weather is a big key in Colorado. But moon phase is a big factor. I worry about that more than hoping for weather when making my Colorado choices. I can't control weather but can hunt during the appropriate moon phase.

Rich

Looks like this years third season would be a mostly under a full moon.

I agree. Weather is the biggest variable...I'd rather have good snow on Nov 1 vs sixty-degree clear weather on Nov 15th.

>Looks like this years third season
>would be a mostly under
>a full moon.
>
>I agree. Weather is the biggest
>variable...I'd rather have good snow
>on Nov 1 vs sixty-degree
>clear weather on Nov 15th.
>
>

Seriously, why is this even a question.... I often feel that too many people put way too much effort figuring things out. No one has a crystal ball, but I can predict 1 thing for certain, you will not a shot the buck of a life time this year if you do not have a tag...

I have hunted the 3rd season for over 20 years. Some years it is great, other years it just sucks. The same can be said for every single season. Be it archery elk, muzzy elk, late cow etc. The date means very little. It is about the weather, and about hunting.

Get the tag go hunt. Forget the moon phase and the artificial date man assigned. Focus on the hunt.

THis year was incredible in our unit. Last year was great, year before a little slow, but again 1 thing for certain, you will not kill a good buck if you do not get a tag and hunt.

My best buck was taken Oct. 1st in WY on a full moon period.

>Seriously, why is this even a
>question.... I often feel that
>too many people put way
>too much effort figuring things
>out. No one has a
>crystal ball, but I can
>predict 1 thing for certain,
>you will not a shot
>the buck of a life
>time this year if you
>do not have a tag...
>>Get the tag go hunt. Forget
>the moon phase and the
>artificial date man assigned. Focus
>on the hunt.
>

agreed!

I hunt 2nd season every year and we do great! Would be fun to hunt the rut but the bucks are still there, just need to find a different pattern other than "rut" :)

I actually love seeing 3, 4, 5... maybe 10 bucks come out together in a group and sitting there comparing to decide which one to shoot :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Oh I'll be hunting during this time regardless of moon phase and all the other variables that come to play...seriously! I hunt every minute I can. Just wanted to hear how others factor in some of these components that impact deer hunting.

Debating on driving 600 miles, plus 1k for the LO tag, and all the travel expenses in Colorado verses a couple hour drive to the Frank Church In Idaho. Both hunts over lap but are very different.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom