Early or Late for Eastern Plains Deer?

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
I just moved back home to Colorado after a 10 year stint in New Mexico and was wise enough to build a few preference points. I've got enough points to draw any season in the eastern plains, but was wondering if it is better to go early and get the first crack at some of these eastern plains bucks or go during the late season when the rut should be in full swing?

I've got access to a couple of good sized tracks of land in two units in the eastern plains that hold a good number of deer and was hoping to get some advice from some of you eastern plains deer killers. Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated!

-Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

Muzzy season! It is by far a better time to kill a trophy IF you have time to scout. They are still bachelored up and are usually still on their summer feed pattern. First rifle has them broke up and underground. The weather is usually unseasonably warm as well, making them nocturnal. The late rifle is normally post-rut or has them on lockdown with a single doe. It is a good time to kill a deer, but not a trophy. December 1st is the best day, every day after is going downhill. My personal favorites are the muzzy, archery during 11/13-11/17, or archery after Christmas. Good luck!

I would go for late season. If you hunt the early season there is no guarantee all the corn will be picked by then. If the corn isn't picked in the area you may not see as many deer as one would hope. If it's picked early then you have a great chance. I don't think there's a right or a wrong.

Brett

Thanks for the insight, guys. I spent a day glassing and hiking one of the ranches and am pretty sold on where I'm going to hunt, now I just need to stay on it and locate a mature deer or two. No corn on this place, but there is good water, broken country, creek bottom and some dryland hay. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!
-Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

I would go early, especially if you have no corn to worry about! Pre-rut to start of rut in those dates! Calling works very well then! I've seen some big bucks during that season!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom