Early Rifle Unit 10 elk tag

hornguy

Hey guys finally drew a early rifle unit 10 tag. I am somewhat familar with the unit but would take any advice or help given It will be a DIY hunt. Pray for rain and lets see what happens. Thanks Mark.

I had 19 points going into this years draw. Thanks to all for the advice.Sounds like the high point glassing technique is the way to go. Find them and then go after them.

i am curious to see how this year goes due to the large increase in tags in 10, i am sure a lot of guides will be sitting on big bulls prior to the hunt. i hope you have a good hunt and people are not to much of an issue this up and coming season.

I would hunt guides, Where you find guides you will find elk.
where you see them glassing one day is a place you will want to glass from the next day.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator:

That is GREAT advice!

No doubt, find the guides who have been out there for a heck of a long time locating quality bulls before the hunt and then move in on them on opening day and maybe you can shoot a great bull without doing any homework other than following the guides around!

Gator, I know you and I hope that post was tongue-in-cheek.

You see there ARE some guys out there that do just that. They put in for a high quality trophy unit and draw, but know little to nothing about it, then either do forum searches for info..or they do figure out who the guides are up there and then kind of "shadow" them to find places to glass.

Seen it happen several times.

And it even get worse at times. I had a buffalo hunter one time on the Houserock bull hunt and one group of other "hunters" followed us around as they had just 10X binos and NO spotting scopes.

I found a huge bull on day 7 way out in the flats and as we drove out there, the "others" followed. As it turned out the bull had walked up the canyon and these guys got out, ran to the edge of the canyon and started looking. As we moved in on the bull, they spotted him and literally shot him right out from under us. My guy had a muzzleloader and the 16-year-old kid with his dad and uncle used a 7MM mag to shoot it before we could.

Talk about some issues! I had to literally pull my hunter away as someone was going to get a butt whipping or maybe worse! One of "them" called Tom Britt who was at the Ranch and he came out. Said nothing illegal about what they had done, but ethically it was wrong...

Yeah, follow the guides....

Wow!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Don, I'm sure you see a lot of BS out there since you spend so much time in the field. But I've been on the other end of that deal as well. I got up at o-dark thirty, parked my Rhino at a gate, hiked in and was waiting in the grey listening to a bull I spotted the night before when along comes a "guide" in his pick up truck with his client and drives right on through. He couldn't miss my vehicle at the gate and he couldn't miss me standing by the two track and I'm sure he could hear the bull bugling from the gate. Needless to say, the herd bull was out of there. Another time in NM, my wife and I were the first to hike to the top of a good glassing knoll. A guide and his clients came up an hour and a half later and wanted to know what we were doing on "his" glassing spot. If he wanted to glass from there, he should have hiked in the dark instead of waiting 'til after daylight. Rude and unethical people will do the things to which they are predisposed and the rest of us will just have to live with it. If you'll note, Gator said glass from there the next day he didn't say shoot a bull from under them. Sorry, Warren, you don't need me to stick up for you, but Don touched a nerve.

Guys:

I know there are both sides on every issue and sometimes we just bump into each other.

What I was taken back about was Gator's statement-- and I hope he was just kidding. I too have had a number of situations other than one I alluded to.

Hey if its public land everyone has the right to be there. I get that. But sometimes common courtesy is just tossed out the window, especially on so called "Trophy" hunts!

Did not mean to offend anyone either.

Gator's post just touched a nerve in me.

Good luck to everyone this fall!

Don Martin
AWO

Don
I too have guys that would see me glassing a canyon on different times and then on opening morning, guess where they was sitting the sad deal was it was a outfitter with a client they never did see what I saw and I never saw that deer after the hunt started. But they figured if I was there 2 days in a row it must be good spot. The outfitter who hunt close to a road has to put up with the tons of hunters that will be there also that is the nature of the beast.
You can bet that alot of DIY hunters have the same story about a outfitter client shooting a animal out from under them.

Plus not all the good high glassing spots are just for outfitters, like I said glass from there also(next day) you might spot something or you might not. But by all means it doesn't mean you will be cutting in on the outfitter and his clients. It just means you could be hunting the same animal, but that happens everyday in the real world. THAT is why it key to get away from the crowds and find a spot that hold good animals, that you can hunt without others following you.You can see now why some guys will park a truck across the road.LOL

4 years ago I was riding in(horses) and had 3 guys ride their motorbikes right by me, they didn't care one bit if they spooked my horses or not, Now I ended up killing a good bull back in that canyon and rim country and it wasn't because I was a better hunter,spotter,or first there. I was just quieter then they was and my horse spotted that bull before I did, But I was smart enough to look where the horse was looking and make a good shot. The same goes for glassing a area someone already glassed 5 seconds after they glassed, a great bull/deer could pop-out and they will never had seen him. I have seen tons of guys stop on a road or trail and glass and as soon as they do everyone who see them will stop and glass in that same spot.

Tongue in cheek yes and no we all know how it works in glassing up good animals and what it takes to keep a eye on them until the hunt starts, AND what it takes for us to keep others from hunting us and finding out where we are seeing what we are after.
Heck I love the guys in orange out scouting the days before a hunt.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator:

I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately in today's world there always seem to be so many tags/hunters out there, it is inevitable that you may run into others.

That I know.

I was just upset that in a time when hunting ethics seem to get tossed out the window, we as hunters just don't need to encourage others to practice that kind of behavior.

I used to have AWO signs on my trucks, don't do that anymore for sure. Its got that bad!

Anyway, I think we understand each other on this issue.

Thanks, good luck and good hunting!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom